Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 04:13:07 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forks confuse QT wallet  (Read 683 times)
Racer8 (OP)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 09:25:32 AM

I've been searching posts and have read the "Satoshi Client Operation" posts but cannot find the answer to my question.  I have experienced the recent Terracoin attack and one of the symptoms after the fork was fixed was that the network had clients that still were on the wrong blockchain which confused the wallet I was using for mining.  In the debug window it showed "Last block time" as always being up to date but it was seeing higher block numbers from clients on the wrong blockchain and so was reporting "Out of Sync" in the main window.

This condition would come and go with the wallet going in and out of sync (but the "Last block time" was always current).  There was a recent post that suggested shutting down connections with the clients on the wrong chain based on startingheight which only worked temporarily for me as the client eventually found bad nodes again.  I've started mining on digitalcoin and have noticed the same thing.

Am I correct that wallets get confused by nodes on bad forks?   

Also, as I use the wallet for solo mining then If I solve a block then will the wallet add it to the blockchain if it is out of sync?
minerapia

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 11:44:18 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 11:55:27 AM by minerapia

I presume the client update was to steer ppl back onto same chain (using checkpoints) or something other that forked the chain.
Youre client receives message from bad node saying it has more blocks that you, but because of the checkpoints your client wont download those blocks.
Thats why you are out of sync (or actually youre wallet only thinks it is because someone says he has more blocks than you have in youre chain).
Out of sync condition removes after shorter chain passes the longer one.

It doesnt affect mining at all (if you are on the right chain).

donations -> btc: 1M6yf45NskQxWXknkMTzQ8o6wShQcSY4EC
                   ltc: LeTpCd6cQL26Q1vjc9kJrTjjFMrPhrpv6j
Racer8 (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 12:36:05 PM

I presume the client update was to steer ppl back onto same chain (using checkpoints) or something other that forked the chain.
Youre client receives message from bad node saying it has more blocks that you, but because of the checkpoints your client wont download those blocks.
Thats why you are out of sync (or actually youre wallet only thinks it is because someone says he has more blocks than you have in youre chain).
Out of sync condition removes after shorter chain passes the longer one.

It doesnt affect mining at all (if you are on the right chain).

Thanks.  You're right - there was a new client released which I installed.

A secondary question:  If the client has been restarted and is legitimately catching up blocks can it still add a new block to the chain?
minerapia

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 01:08:25 PM

A secondary question:  If the client has been restarted and is legitimately catching up blocks can it still add a new block to the chain?

Nope, as you don't have all the parameters required.

Racer8 (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 02:18:51 PM

Nope, as you don't have all the parameters required.

Thanks again Minerapia that's pretty much what I thought.  If I could just test your patience finalise this.  When mining I use a stratum pool as a failover pool to my solo client on cgminer.  Cgminer is pretty smart and even if the startum pool is not active it still uses the pool stratum to detect new blocks.  I've noticed that if I restart the client and it is the active pool but still catching up blocks that new block notifications from the stratum pool are logged.  Do the new block notifications from the stratum contain the required parameters for cgminer to solve blocks and add them?
minerapia

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 03:46:12 PM

Not sure about this, but afaik in theory you could, in reality you don't. Havent really looked in dephts of stratum, but pools tend to hide some of data, to prevent ppl cheating. as you could otherwise submit hashes which find blocks, solo.

You can tho mine on backup pool while downloading personal blockchain tho.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: