Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 12:34:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it Possible to Buy Bitcoins with Amazon.com Gift Certificates?  (Read 621 times)
ag346 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 02:56:05 PM

Just wondering if there is an exchange out there somewhere that takes gift certificates like amazon and exchanges for bitcoin or other cryptocurrency.  Looks like there are many ways to convert cryptocurrencies to different forms of monetary value. 
WuLabsWuTecH

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 06:38:20 PM

You can find people here on the forums that will change AMZ to BTC.

I have been doing so myself if you are interested.  I take about a 10-15% discount (the exact amount varies since I usually just choose a round number, the last sale was about 12% I think, but I keep it close to 10%).  If the mtgox last is 100, I would offer you 0.9BTC per 100 of amazon you had.

PM if interested.
Bit being

Activity: 8

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 08:45:38 PM

Amazon takes no issue with these types of exchanges?
ag346 (OP)

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 12:38:48 AM

I have been doing so myself if you are interested.  I take about a 10-15% discount (the exact amount varies since I usually just choose a round number, the last sale was about 12% I think, but I keep it close to 10%).  If the mtgox last is 100, I would offer you 0.9BTC per 100 of amazon you had.

PM if interested.

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess my concern with such a transaction is that there doesn't seem to be a way to safely make the trade.  Whoever sends their half of the trade could potentially lose their funds, unless of course there was a bitcoin "item" for sale on the amazon.com website.  I would probably only be interested in making a very small purchase, say $5.00 USD in amazon certificates just to get comfortable with the process first. 
NoNotTheDuo

Activity: 29

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 04:18:47 AM

PM if interested.

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess my concern with such a transaction is that there doesn't seem to be a way to safely make the trade.  Whoever sends their half of the trade could potentially lose their funds, unless of course there was a bitcoin "item" for sale on the amazon.com website.  I would probably only be interested in making a very small purchase, say $5.00 USD in amazon certificates just to get comfortable with the process first. 

This is where escrow would come into play.  Basically the buyer would send the BTC + escrow fees to an escrower (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=133931.0).  Then the seller sends the gift card code to the buyer.  Once the buyer confirms they have received the code and it works, they tell the escrow to release the BTC to the seller.

Boom, transaction complete!
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 07:47:41 AM

sell the gift cards on bitmit, that's the easiest and safest way imo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: