Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:13:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware Wallets Difficult to Use  (Read 177 times)
hlopez_ (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 03:27:44 PM

Do any of you find hardware wallets difficult to use for moving and transacting with bitcoin?
loaddebitcard

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 03:58:44 PM

Yes, it's logic. That's why hardware wallets are usually used for assets and online wallets for purchases. It's just like bank account and bank card. One is for saving and keeping money, the second is for spending.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6145

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:01:02 PM

What's hard about them? I could say that about paper wallets as they are more convenient for storing but not spending but definitely not hardware wallets. I'm using a trezor and It's just as easy as using a Electrum or an online wallet. You plug it, type your PIN/passphrase and you're good to go.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:06:46 PM

Yes. I've had a play with both. I found the Trezor more user friendly myself but it's still pretty fiddly. Hardware wallets are still pretty first generation ish. I expect in a few years they'll be as slick as anything. In the meantime I'm prepared to put up with a bit of a grind for the sake of security.
lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:08:16 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2017, 04:24:43 PM by lite

Do any of you find hardware wallets difficult to use for moving and transacting with bitcoin?
No, not at all. hardware wallets are the most easiest way to store and spend your bitcoins securely. the only time it's difficult use is when i don't have a laptop with me, that time i can't access ETH or any tokens. but to use only for BTC, it's perfect. mycelium does great job on mobile.

edit:
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:12:08 PM

No, not at all. hardware wallets are the most easiest way to store and spend your bitcoins securely.

It's the computer interfacing bit that falls down for me. With Trezor I regularly get the pin entry bit going dark and freezing on me. And the chrome app never works so I have to go through a web page instead. With the Ledger the Chrome app regularly fails to load or craps out.

It's definitely not a slick experience as it stands.
iamryan

Activity: 196
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:18:37 PM

I think you use it for the first time .. dont worry it's one of the best smart option to keep your bitcoin safe

which model wallet you use ?

>>> Ledger Nano S
>>> Trezor
>>> KeepKey
dreamer81

Activity: 616
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:18:52 PM

a hw wallet is nothing but a usb stick. Forget it. it's really dumb to use.  All hw wallets have backup that you need to print on paper, so why not just use a paper wallet and save yourself 100 USD?
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:20:44 PM

a hw wallet is nothing but a usb stick. Forget it. it's really dumb to use.  All hw wallets have backup that you need to print on paper, so why not just use a paper wallet and save yourself 100 USD?

Because some people actually want to spend and move it around? Paper wallets have served me well in the past but they are not the ideal option for the Bitcoin spender around town.
giveen

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:27:21 PM

Amm not really i currently own a trezor as well as a ledger. It isn't difficult at all to use a ledger. I do hold many alts sometimes because of the low memory i need to install then delete , this part isn't difficult but get's annoying.

Speaking of trezor it is a simple interface and you need different apps for different coins. It doesn't support too many coins but it's fine for me as ledger compensates it.

If you talking about desktop wallets then yeah they consume lot of time and energy which is why i would suggest to buy either a trezor oe ledger. It's safe and way easier and cheaper to manage.
lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:39:27 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2017, 05:04:57 PM by lite

No, not at all. hardware wallets are the most easiest way to store and spend your bitcoins securely.

It's the computer interfacing bit that falls down for me. With Trezor I regularly get the pin entry bit going dark and freezing on me. And the chrome app never works so I have to go through a web page instead. With the Ledger the Chrome app regularly fails to load or craps out.

It's definitely not a slick experience as it stands.
Well, i have trezor and i always use web page/interface to make transactions. everything works great, my pin entry doesn't go dark/freezes(i use ubuntu OS). maybe use electrum as your interface?
tyuner4

Activity: 322
Merit: 179

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:42:47 PM

I use both Ledger and Trezor, I find them easy to use. What is the problem you encounter with? You can always find video tutorials, just be careful not to fall for scams.
EEEian

Activity: 246
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:43:50 PM

Yes hardware wallet is using something hard i guess.Because i have no better idea about this wallet.I used long time Electrum wallet & Bitcoin core wallet.I prefer Bitcoin core wallet.
Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:51:22 PM

Many of these hardware wallets have been going up in price and you get locked in with server-side API's
so that's not really decentralized.

I use Jaxx and i know it has a security flaw and that's why i keep on it's own MicroSD card
that I swap in my Android phone when i use it and I would change to another software wallet
but i just like how easy it is to use and it supports about 50 other alt-coins too.

Anyone with more than $20,000 in coins should be using hardware wallets and anything
is safer than trusting brokers and agents like Coinbase in my book so it's worth the effort 

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
Caesar-Giulius

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 05:57:55 PM

You just need some time to get used to it. I personally find it user friendly after exploring the functions. There aren’t complicate stuffs in it.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████▀██████████████
█████████▄▄      ▀▀██▀╜  ▀▀███████████
████████████▄       ██   ▀^╓▀█████████
██████████████      ║█    ,▀██████████
█████████████▄▄      █▌   ████████████
████████████████▄     ▀█▄  ███████████
████████████████▀,,,    ╙▀▀█▀ ████████
█████████████████▀▀▀█▄▄       ████████
███████████████▀     ▀███████▀████████
██████████████▌       ▐█* ▀▓▀ ████████
████████████*██▄     ▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄████████
██████████▀`  ▀██▄   ▀████████████████
████████▀`  ▄█████▌   ╙███████████████
████████▄,   ▀████ ,,,  "▀▀███████████
██████████,,,,, ╙█▄███▄▄,,,,╙▀████████
L B X.

■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■
The London Block Exchange
■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■

WDownload OnW
[.
          ▄▄█▀
         ███▀
   ▄▄▄▄  ▀  ▄▄▄▄
 ▄███████▄██████▌
▐██████████████▌
███████████████
▐██████████████▌
 ███████████████▌
  ██████████████▌
   ▀████▀▀▀████▀
/      ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▐
     ▄█▀████▀█▄
    ▐██████████▌
 ▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
 ▀▀ ████████████ ▀▀
    ▀██████████▀
      ▐██  ██▌
      ▐██  ██▌
]

sidebyside

Activity: 245
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 06:27:53 PM

are not . I find that online wallets are very easy to use for storing and billing. I am using an online wallet to store my bitcoin. I find it quite good and safe. Use it for fast payment method I do not find it difficult to use

bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 11:35:27 PM

And how do you want to use your paper wallet safely? Just typing your private key from the paper into some webpage or into a wallet software on the PC? What about keyloggers and malware? If you use a hardware wallet, it stores the private key and you don't need to bother with it, and also it signs a transaction on the device itself so the private key won't get to your PC anytime. This security worth that price, especially, if you store a decent amount of coins on the device.
EinaiOraCoinDev

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 11:39:07 PM

They are not difficult to use, i dont know why you are asking this.

You only need to open them, press a button, and that is it, it doesnt have much science right?
emuLOAD

Activity: 328
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 12:03:54 AM

Hardware wallets are easy to use, for BTC I'm happy to even use my "current account" on on OTG, no problem whatsoever.

Depending on your wealth and needs, 3-4 hardware wallets and a couple of paper ones should be ideal for a serene sleep. Also not a bad idea to keep a tiny expenses (sub 10k$) account on a live wallet to avoid exposing the secure wallets too often.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: