Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 04:50:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I sell my altcoin for btc for upcoming fork?  (Read 221 times)
jerry0 (OP)

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 03:34:31 PM

I have an altcoin that im thinking about selling solely to get some of the forked coin segwit2.  From checking online, its around 600 dollars for it.  Are people doing this or not?  Thus selling their altcoin for btc just so they get more segwit2?

Im thinking what about this.  You sell it for btc and you get it.  Then after the fork, you immediately buy back the altcoin you had.

Thoughts on this? 
covfefe_

Activity: 935
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 03:40:05 PM

That has been a profitable deal indeed in case of both Bitcoincash and Bitcoingold. But still there is a risk factor and the act will make the overall altcoin market much more unstable.
jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 03:44:14 PM

Is the price around 600 dollars at the moment for one?  I checked coinmarketcap and it shows 600.  But it shows over 1000 dollars at yobit?

Why would it not be profitable with segwit2 if the price seems to be 600 at the moment?  Bitcoin cash and gold never was this high before the fork right?
helin9108

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

ELYSIAN | Pre-TGE 5.21.2018 | TGE 6.04.2018

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 03:48:07 PM

Yes you have good idea to sell all altcoins now and buy bitcoin for segwit2 , by doing this you will get free almost 650$ per 1 BTC you have and then after segwit2 you can buy your altcoins back even I think you will get your all altcoins at more lower price because people are sell their altcoins and going to buy bitcoins so you will get profit both ways.

godfredmanu

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 03:51:10 PM

That has been my trading strategy since the waves of Bitcoins fork started showing up. I think you need  to convert it as early as people to avoid high transactions fees since the fess increase when the fork is near. After you keep the bitcoins in your private wallet. After the fork, you can use your private key to extract the free coins and resell bitcoins back to your altcoins.

STEALTHCRYPTO        ═════•    QUANTUM MEST NETWORK   •═════  STEALTHCRYPTO
███ Quantum Secure Cryptography for data protection  ███
Telegram | Reddit | Medium | Twitter | Google plus | Facebook
jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:02:03 PM

What do you mean convert it as early as possible?  If you use bittrex, wouldn't you get the btc immediately?  Thus imagine you bought altcoin on bittrex or other exchange.  Now you sell it.  Now wouldn't you get the btc immediately?  Or do you mean get the btc to your wallet?

Where do you keep your btc then for these previous forks?  Do you use something like electrum or an exchange or hardware wallet?

When you say you can buy the altcoin back, when exactly do you do this?  Do you do it after the day of the fork?  When exactly do you do it?
Marenos

Activity: 312
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:03:14 PM

only a few traders are making money. But one thing is sure, with your trading yu pay the exchanges. Why dont you simple hold?
indrakusumaindra

Activity: 728

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:05:49 PM

I have an altcoin that im thinking about selling solely to get some of the forked coin segwit2.  From checking online, its around 600 dollars for it.  Are people doing this or not?  Thus selling their altcoin for btc just so they get more segwit2?

Im thinking what about this.  You sell it for btc and you get it.  Then after the fork, you immediately buy back the altcoin you had.

Thoughts on this? 
it might be a good idea. by buying bitcoin you got a profit from the fluctuation. and  i believe it will increasing if there is a hard fork again. if you have a bitcoin you will gain the hardfork so it so profitable in my opinion to investing on bitcoin now. but you need to think about how much you able to invest and how much profit that you able to gain. if not big enough its good to consider investing on altcoin

jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:20:35 PM

Well what about this then.  Sell the altcoin for btc right now.  Then after the day of the fork, then buy back the same altcoin.  Also should the altcoin be less price that before since people probably are selling their altcoin for btc?

Now assuming the altcoin stays same price, then obviously this would make sense right? 
Psynthax

Activity: 2324
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:21:27 PM

Thoughts on this? 
But do you see the latest announcement that the segwit 2x will be applying to the bitcoin blockchain again? because i can't find anything that related to that news. But the only good fork coin, in my opinion, is only bitcoin god. Segwit2x has been cancelled. What about that? At least bitcoin forks give you some bucks.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
bundo

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:32:55 PM

That has been a profitable deal indeed in case of both Bitcoincash and Bitcoingold. But still there is a risk factor and the act will make the overall altcoin market much more unstable.
Since the news about Hard Fork Bitcoin is widespread, many parties (Bitcoin users) are worried about losing their Bitcoin holdings.
wissy

Activity: 658
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:35:20 PM

I would buy some BTC but dont sell all your altcoins for it since it looks like most of them are going up in value lately. If you invested in the right one, you will have more profit than converting it to bitcoin.

vendy86

Activity: 490
Merit: 106

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 04:39:02 PM

Thoughts on this? 

remember important rules in trading.
never cut loss.
but as long u have gain profit from altcoin,i think its fine for get more profit from hardfork coin.
like now at 28 dec theres 2 even.NXT airdrop and btc hardfork.
make calculation which one can give u more profit or u can buy nxt first n after snapshot sell it and buy btc.

trickyriky

Activity: 882
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:36:48 PM

Thoughts on this? 

In September a lot of Bitcoin forks negatively influenced on the stability of Bitcoin. I don’t think that one more fork will help to Bitcoin grow faster. I prefer just to keep my alts.
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 07:39:47 PM

Thoughts on this? 

In September a lot of Bitcoin forks negatively influenced on the stability of Bitcoin. I don’t think that one more fork will help to Bitcoin grow faster. I prefer just to keep my alts.

i think these forks will damage bitcoin too

altcoin holder should use a justice strategy when dealing with bitcoin, whenever you mention bitcoin mention a lot of forks of it too

regards

alt-fire

Activity: 602
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 09:43:23 PM

I sold my altcoins for bitcoin before hardfork. I'm not sure that this was the best idea. I hope Bitrix and Binance will send b2x
rodmanqs

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 11:41:00 PM

So, fork Segwit2X has taken place and tokens are charged, and I think now we will go down to try the third time to break through the level of 13k $.
vanish9

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 11:42:33 PM

Segwitx2 fork was a total crap, a lot of people were thinking that this fork was going to be one of the most biggest ones, but it wasn't, there was a lot of FOMO about this fork and it ended up being a total crap
Hallmader

Activity: 1123
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 11:58:47 PM

Thoughts on this? 

A lot of people are really doing this. They are selling their altcoins and shift to Bitcoin simply to be able to qualify for the free give-away coins after the split is fully implemented. Some are even doing cut loss just so their Bitcoin holdings will increase, hoping to get a bigger slice of the free coins. Thus the usual pump of the coins before a split is done. In any case, however, it is important to weigh in the risks and probable profit.

JACS|JUST ANOTHER
COMMUNICATIONS
STACK
██     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ██
████████████ █▄
████████████ ███▄
████████████ █████▄
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
███████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
███████████ ██ ████████████
███████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀██████████
████████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀████████
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████████
█████████   ████    ███████
████████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄███████
███████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄█████████
███████████ ██ ████████████
█████▄    ███████▀    ▄████
███████    █████▀    ██████
███████     ███▀     ██████
███████ █    █▀ █    ██████
███████ ██     ██    ██████
███████ ███   ███    ██████
█████▀   ▀██ ███▀    ▀█████
█████▀               ▀█████
████▌                 ▐████
████       ██▄▄        ████
████       ██████      ████
████       ██▀▀        ████
████▌                 ▐████
█████▄               ▄█████
TrentD_TFN

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2017, 12:01:58 AM

This seems to be the general consensus and a lot of people seem to have made good profit from it. Plus, if this pullout from the alcoin market causes prices to go down then you get back in cheaper than what you initially had and you've come out on top from all angles.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: