Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:55:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 166 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MasterCoin: New Protocol Layer Starting From “The Exodus Address”  (Read 448419 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 07:02:03 AM

•   Capability to hold a stable user-defined value, such as an ounce of gold or U.S. Dollar, with no need to trust a person promising to back up that value

This is a bit of a  concern. I skimmed through the white paper and saw the plans for moderating supply and using an escrow reservoir.

It all seems a bit... Norman Lamont-y though.... I understand the escrow aggression level, but the escrow will still behave entirely predictably, right? As such, what's stopping rich people trading against it?

Maybe I just don't see the attraction of artificially stable commodities.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 07:47:25 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2013, 09:11:54 AM by vokain

I don't exactly understand what a mastercoin will be worth. Is each mastercoin the same?

and is total supply going to be limited by the total MSC bought by sept 1?

can you only buy MSC with BTC? I think so due to its blockchain layered protocol, but can you explain this again for me

what secures a derived currency like gold coin's worth with the example of an ounce of gold? my main question is, where does that ounce of gold sit to secure such a gold coin?

Once you understand the risks, and have properly consolidated your coins in a single address in a PC wallet, you can purchase MasterCoins by sending your bitcoins to the Exodus Address, which is: 1EXoDusjGwvnjZUyKkxZ4UHEf77z6A5S4P

Also, I'd be grateful if a few people could quote the Exodus Address on this thread, as that will make it less likely that someone will try to hack my account and change the address.
bvt

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 08:04:15 AM

You claim to be running a crowdfunder, but what I fail to understand is what you expect to use these funds on. You try to calm down concerned people by saying you're also buying a lot of mastercoins, but you do realize I too can send a lot of bitcoins to another wallet which I control, and still maintain control?

There seems to be a rush in getting people to send you money and several flaws in your paper. I'm gonna have to sit this one out. I wish you had waited and developed something beforehand.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 08:21:09 AM

Nobody has sent any coins there yet though, and I am delaying my own purchase so I don't make everyone mad by getting the best exchange rate moments after the announcement Smiley
I would like to emphasize that, since you control the exodus address, it is important that you buy only few mastercoins and furthermore that you are completely transparent about how much you buy. Of course, this doesn't apply to buying them on the free market later.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 09:03:16 AM

Have you done any modelling with various child currency parameters to see how well they might track the desired asset, and how healthy the escrow fund remains?

Best question yet.

I have thought about this endlessly. You can't begin to imagine how many nights I laid awake thinking about this. My first proposal had a much more complicated method of providing stability, but I think I've boiled it down to the essence of what is needed.

I actually plan on running some experiments with unsustainable currencies (where the data stream the currency is based on just keeps publishing bigger numbers), just to see how long they last and how they die. I'm hoping that will help tune the parameters for real currencies.

Why are you releasing this project if it is clearly not ready/fully tested?

especially after 2 years of already working on it? What do you need now that you didn't need before?

or is it because it is the mechanism by which you can bootstrap the network? I still do not fully understand the mechanisms that allow the protocol to do what your claims say, but I am still trying very hard to.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 10:59:43 AM

Interesting idea. I will go through the docs this weekend.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 11:31:08 AM

I am VERY excited to announce that I now have a complete specification for building a protocol layer on top of bitcoin (like how HTTP runs on top of TCP/IP).

The coins of the new layer have
•   Additional security features to make your money much harder to steal
•   Built-in support for distributed betting (no need to trust a website to coordinate bets)
•   Capability to hold a stable user-defined value, such as an ounce of gold or U.S. Dollar, with no need to trust a person promising to back up that value

This is a significant improvement over anything we've had before, including colored coins. This protocol has been my life's work for over two years now, and you can finally get a piece of it today!

The name of the new protocol layer is “MasterCoin” (a name I invented and published long before the alt-coin of the same name), and it is 100% message-based, meaning that it encodes all its protocol data as hidden messages in the block chain which have special meanings, such as placing a bet, or transferring MasterCoins to another address.

Perhaps you have heard of the Genesis Block, from which the first bitcoins were created. MasterCoins have a similar starting point in the bitcoin block chain, called the “Exodus Address”. MasterCoins are created by sending bitcoins to the Exodus Address between now and September. (Once September hits anyone wishing to buy MasterCoins will have to purchase them from an early adopter.) Until then, each Bitcoin buys 1000 MasterCoins (plus a bonus based on how early you buy). You then own MasterCoins, which can be controlled by the same address that bought them.

Once you own MasterCoins, you have the building blocks for creating GoldCoin, USDCoin, EuroCoin, and any other real-world asset you can imagine! These child currencies will then be “meta stable” (holding their values as long as they remain sufficiently backed by MasterCoins held in escrow). Their target values are maintained by protocol actions which control the available supply.

Want more details? Download the complete MasterCoin specification here: https://sites.google.com/site/2ndbtcwpaper/MasterCoin%20Specification.pdf

About me:
•   I've been a software engineer for over 10 years. Here's my LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrwillett (connect with me!)
•   I've been pushing for new bitcoin protocol layers since 2011. Here's a video of me as an expert panelist at the Bitcoin Conference in San Jose in May, talking about this idea (I'm the second guy from the left): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qdr_Z3hrqQ

MasterCoins are intended to be an investment opportunity on par with buying bitcoins when they first came out. However, as with bitcoins, there are a lot of risks too. Before you buy MasterCoins, please take a few minutes to read my summary of some of the ways this could go wrong and you could lose your money: https://sites.google.com/site/2ndbtcwpaper/MasterCoinRisks.pdf

Do not attempt to purchase MasterCoins with a web wallet (YOU COULD LOSE YOUR MONEY). You must use a wallet where you can control the sending address by sending all your funds to that address first, then purchasing MasterCoins with that address.

Once you understand the risks, and have properly consolidated your coins in a single address in a PC wallet, you can purchase MasterCoins by sending your bitcoins to the Exodus Address, which is: 1EXoDusjGwvnjZUyKkxZ4UHEf77z6A5S4P

Your bitcoins will be used to fund the development of software implementing the MasterCoin protocol. This is like funding a kickstarter, but it is also an investment. If we're successful, the MasterCoins you purchased could be worth a tremendous amount of money someday.

Feel free to ask any questions here, although please keep a civil tongue and be aware that I will delete posts on this thread which are off-topic or impolite.

Also, I'd be grateful if a few people could quote the Exodus Address on this thread, as that will make it less likely that someone will try to hack my account and change the address.

Reddit version of this post is here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1jftts/official_launch_new_protocol_layer_starting_from/

Thanks!

Edit:
SOMEONE SENT YOU 16BTC!!!

Holy crap! People are actually sending me money!
http://blockchain.info/address/1EXoDusjGwvnjZUyKkxZ4UHEf77z6A5S4P

A LOT of money.

Holy holy crap batman.

Why didn't you just create a Kickstarter?
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 12:13:38 PM

I see a problem: protocol only works for a client which scans whole blockchain.

Secure thin clients (similar to SPV clients like Electrum, MultiBit) are fundamentally impossible.

And running full node client like Bitcoin-Qt will soon be very challenging,

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Chang Hum

Merit: 502

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 12:47:25 PM

Bitcoin buys 1000 MasterCoins (plus a bonus based on how early you buy).
Edit:

The White paper says 100x So a Bitcoin = 100 can you clarify this
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 12:53:03 PM

2) Seems to assume that one cannot control prices by controlling supply. I believe that is false. While the fed has indeed printed a lot of money, they could drive the value of the dollar to zero if they wanted to print billions of dollars and give them to every person on the planet.
Increasing supply to decrease price is the easy part. Decreasing supply to increase price is the impossible part.

If the coin has any merit and the user numbers are therefore growing, you don't need to decrease the supply, you only need to limit it.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 01:47:48 PM

Just because he is doing a kickstarter model and not a bitcoin or opencoin model does not make this a scam.  His identity is public.  It is not a scam.

What do people think of his method of reversible cold storage coins to reduce theft?

This escrow fund system is not going to work.  What it is trying to do is act like a central bank that pegs its currency to the dollar.  Sure the fund can print up more currency to try to bring down the price, just like central banks do, but it cannot just keep on buying up GoldCoins using bitcoins or it is going to go broke.  The value of GoldCoins will be dependent on people's faith in the reserves of the escrow fund, which will be non-existent.  The only way you can get this faith is to have a reputable person or government with a lot of money fund the escrow.  No large backer would ever agree to fund an escrow that uses a fixed adjustment mechanism, because they would be manipulated into being broke.  Read up on what happened to the Thai Baht in 1997, when massive speculative attacks ran the central bank out of reserves and forced it to abandon its peg to the dollar.  Whoever controls the ticker for the price of gold can also manipulate the currency and must be trusted as well.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 02:36:18 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2013, 02:49:27 PM by dacoinminster

Ok. I'm back. Here's my shot an answering all these questions:

I did a co-founder search awhile back:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1fqgn0/will_you_be_my_cofounder_professional_salary/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=226215.0

I got some replies but nobody really had what I needed then.

The protocol may change as it gets implemented. Right now is just the fund-raiser. I agree it would be cool to have multiple people helping me hold the coins. I approached several people about helping me hold the coins m-of-n style, but they were all too busy.

Completely missed that.
Too bad you didn't bump the old MasterCoin thread, I might have jumped on your offer Smiley
In any case, I'm currently not looking to co-found it, but might serve on the board of trustees if you'd like.
I will not require any salary from the board, and you, as the main developer/founder, will be entitled to some agreed upon salary.
I think Meni Rosenfeld might also be interested to serve on such a board.

Of course, if you decide you do not need a board and want to be the treasurer yourself, that's fine too. Also, for the initial fundraising, an m-of-n address is not strictly required - you can always transfer the funds to such an address later. The fundraiser might be more productive (because of the greater trust) if it started with a trusted board and an m-of-n address. Now that I think about it, you can even release an update to the protocol that changes / adds a new Exodus Address while the fundraiser is still going (it would make the protocol less 'clean', but there are benefits).

Anyway, I'm just trying to benefit MasterCoin here, no hidden agenda of myself, feel free to decide what you feel is best.

FYI, I just posted about this thread in the alt forum.

I wouldn't mind spending some time editing the whitepaper for added clarity (like I have too much free time Wink), assuming it is in a format where you can indeed easily see and verify my edits. I voiced most of the points I'd like to edit above.

How about MSC as the abbreviation? (FYI MST is taken by the usurper)
You could brand the coin it as an M.Sc. student Smiley

Good news - I have just registered mastercoin.org on behalf of the project!
I can't believe you haven't registered that domain already in the last year... Smiley
For now I made it a redirect to this thread.

I kind of like what Sunny King has done with ppcoin.org and primecoin.org - you might consider doing something similar with mastercoin.org

FYI, I posted about MasterCoin in the Hebrew Bitcoin forums (Facebook, Google Group), and made a short article on our wiki. There is some positive interest.

Ripper, you are the best. Really man. Thanks for registering Mastercoin.org - I thought about registering ExodusAddress.com or something like that, but I figured if I was successful, I would just come up with a name for my company and register that instead. I think maybe the first use of Exodus Address funds when September 1st rolls around should be to reimburse your purchase.

I tried really hard to get the Bitcoin Foundation to hold the funds, but they were too busy. I also asked various bitcoin companies if they would hold the funds and pay me as an employee, but they all wanted me to work on THEIR projects Smiley

I like MSC. There are probably a bunch that will work.

I really appreciate your comments on the paper - I'll work on a slightly modified version incorporating some of those suggestions at some point. It seems right now that my biggest concern should be producing some source code Smiley

Also, in case you missed my question about blockchain.info - it would be nice to get a formal reassurance that blockchain.info addresses are ok for investing in the fundraiser. I see no reason why they won't be, but in light of your comment in the paper, a reply from you on this matter would be great.

I guess I did miss that question. My understanding is that blockchain.info uses client-side JavaScript rather than a hosted wallet, so it should be ok. I updated the OP with a comment to that effect.

Increasing supply to decrease price is the easy part. Decreasing supply to increase price is the impossible part.

Definitely agree that figuring out how to decrease supply was the hardest part (Did you notice that I did it a lot differently in this revision?)

This is a bit of a  concern. I skimmed through the white paper and saw the plans for moderating supply and using an escrow reservoir.

It all seems a bit... Norman Lamont-y though.... I understand the escrow aggression level, but the escrow will still behave entirely predictably, right? As such, what's stopping rich people trading against it?

Maybe I just don't see the attraction of artificially stable commodities.

Here in the States we say "Ben Bernanke-esque" Smiley

Yes, the escrow fund will behave predictably. People will absolutely trade based on what they anticipate it will do, but that is trading FOR the escrow fund, not against it. You'd be doing the escrow fund's job, and making some money too Smiley

I don't exactly understand what a mastercoin will be worth. Is each mastercoin the same?

and is total supply going to be limited by the total MSC bought by sept 1?

can you only buy MSC with BTC? I think so due to its blockchain layered protocol, but can you explain this again for me

what secures a derived currency like gold coin's worth with the example of an ounce of gold? my main question is, where does that ounce of gold sit to secure such a gold coin?

1) Yes
2) Yes, +10%
3) Yes. Only way to purchase is with Bitcoin, because this is completely traceable by anyone parsing the block chain
4) Good question! My hypothesis is that you can store funds in escrow to back that ounce of Gold, rather than a real ounce of Gold.

You claim to be running a crowdfunder, but what I fail to understand is what you expect to use these funds on. You try to calm down concerned people by saying you're also buying a lot of mastercoins, but you do realize I too can send a lot of bitcoins to another wallet which I control, and still maintain control?

There seems to be a rush in getting people to send you money and several flaws in your paper. I'm gonna have to sit this one out. I wish you had waited and developed something beforehand.

Yes, I will still control the funds I use to purchase MasterCoins. That's why I can go all in, while the rest of you have to decide if I'm nuts, a scammer, or maybe could really pull this off Smiley

I would like to emphasize that, since you control the exodus address, it is important that you buy only few mastercoins and furthermore that you are completely transparent about how much you buy. Of course, this doesn't apply to buying them on the free market later.

As implied above, I actually intend to buy a large number of them - probably around 24 hours after the announcement. I really believe this will work, and I want to own as many of them as possible.

Why are you releasing this project if it is clearly not ready/fully tested?

Funding it like a kickstarter.

especially after 2 years of already working on it? What do you need now that you didn't need before?

or is it because it is the mechanism by which you can bootstrap the network? I still do not fully understand the mechanisms that allow the protocol to do what your claims say, but I am still trying very hard to.

I got tired of waiting for someone else to implement my paper (first draft was published January 6th 2012), so I decided to give it a shot.

Why didn't you just create a Kickstarter?

This method provides in-chain traceability of which addresses funded the project. Also, regular kickstarter doesn't accept projects collecting money as investments. (Bitcoin kickstarter probably would though)

The other reason is that I don't really have a target amount of funds I am aiming for. I'll be doing the work either way, but I can do it faster if I raise some cash.

I see a problem: protocol only works for a client which scans whole blockchain.

Secure thin clients (similar to SPV clients like Electrum, MultiBit) are fundamentally impossible.

And running full node client like Bitcoin-Qt will soon be very challenging,

Hey Alex. I think think if this is successful then it will be possible to make thin clients. For instance, the code scanning the block chain doesn't need to run in the same place as the code signing the transactions.

Aside: killerstorm is the primary dev working on colored coins, who came up with the term "meta-stable" after reading my first draft. He is awesome.

Bitcoin buys 1000 MasterCoins (plus a bonus based on how early you buy).
Edit:

The White paper says 100x So a Bitcoin = 100 can you clarify this

Oops! I fixed the OP to say 100. Thanks!

If the coin has any merit and the user numbers are therefore growing, you don't need to decrease the supply, you only need to limit it.

That works great until something better comes along. I want the meta-stable coins to fail gracefully.

This escrow fund system is not going to work.  What it is trying to do is act like a central bank that pegs its currency to the dollar.  Sure the fund can print up more currency to try to bring down the price, just like central banks do, but it cannot just keep on buying up GoldCoins using bitcoins or it is going to go broke.  The value of GoldCoins will be dependent on people's faith in the reserves of the escrow fund, which will be non-existent.  The only way you can get this faith is to have a reputable person or government with a lot of money fund the escrow.  No large backer would ever agree to fund an escrow that uses a fixed adjustment mechanism, because they would be manipulated into being broke.  Read up on what happened to the Thai Baht in 1997, when massive speculative attacks ran the central bank out of reserves and forced it to abandon its peg to the dollar.  Whoever controls the ticker for the price of gold can also manipulate the currency and must be trusted as well.

How well the escrow fund will work remains to be seen. The challenge will come when a lot of people want to exit one of these meta-stable currencies all at once because something better came along. Something better WILL eventually come along (tomorrow or in a thousand years), and when a currency does fail, I want it to do so as gracefully as possible.

yona

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 03:03:00 PM

First of all, good work JR!
i like what i read, i think it's a good direction.
+1
way to go.
i am very interested in this project and in these concepts.

that said... reading the "white paper" it seems there are a lot of 'gaps' in the description.
i would go along with what Ripper says and get more people to help translate your ideas... this way, things you see for granted and you neglect to mention [what i call 'gaps' - might just be things i don't understand] will be smoothened out.

also not a bad idea to have more people onboard or just a 'board' which can let you do the work without the constant suspicion.
i can see this suspicion as very understandable, but you can't do anything if you have to justify your every move.
on the other hand, if you need to build such a construction for very little donations it might be a hassle for little effect.
maybe you could announce that you intend to have a board in case you receive over a certain sum that will allow you to take a paycheck and work full time... it might let serious investors feel a little better buying more mastercoins.

i for one find your words and vibe very genuine and intelligent.

good luck.

i would be happy to give my opinion on the technical aspects of this paper, but to be honest i wish to read the 'bitshares' paper first so i can have another perspective.

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 03:11:05 PM

I'm the guy who earned 10BTC convincing bytemaster that his original system would not track the underlying asset.

Look, let's state the problem theoretically.  Let us propose 2 independent entities "Digi", and "Commodity" which can be priced in a 3rd entity "fiat".   Now the task is to devise a system to create a 4th entity "DigiC", using exclusively Digi that reflects the value of Commodity.  

Since Digi and Commodity are independent variables, this is an impossible task.  Any escrow system that holds Digi and issues DigiC is promising 1 Commodity for every DigiC issued.  It is essentially SHORT Commodity.  So lets say everything starts at 1, so we have N DigiC backed by N Digi.  Now if Commodity goes to 10 fiat and Digi goes down .1fiat, the "expected" value of DigiC is 10*N, but the backing escrow is only worth .1*N.  A factor of 100 difference.  

This will happen in reality as well as theory.  

As Cyprus learned when it gave people CyprusEuro (DigiC) backed by loans (Digi).  When the value of those loans drops, the only solution is to give holders of CyprusEuro a "haircut".

If that doesn't convince you, look at the 7x appreciation of Gold 2000-2012.  Or imagine trying to create a "MasterBitcoin" with a 10x appreciation in 1 year!?  Or pretend that MasterCoin appreciates 10x like bitcoin did, while gold drops 20%.  Now you have the opposite problem your backing is worth SO much more then your coins.

And these aren't even "Black Swan" events (or Black Swans are the new normal).

I think you know that it won't track.  You use terms like "Given a reasonably stable MasterCoin".  But Bitcoin has shown that to be VERY unlikely.  Also, its not even a stable MasterCoin that matters, but a stable RATIO between MasterCoin and the commodity...

The sooner the powerful collective intelligence and creative force moves from this pipe dream to creating a system that simply allows identity-verifiable entities to back digital commodities with a legal framework to enable criminal prosecution if the digital commodity does not meet its contract (AKA no gold in the vault), the sooner we will have a workable system.  Also, look at how the Winkelvoss' (and other) ETFs work to see how multiple backers could exist for a single DigiC.

...You can gain respect for Satoshi's intelligence both by what he did AND by what he chose NOT to do...

dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 03:12:01 PM

I deleted a few troll posts, and a few troll-feeding posts (sorry - I know you guys were just trying to defend me, but feeding the trolls just encourages them). I did also leave a couple troll feeding posts if I thought they might add value in some way to the discussion.

I think I've waited long enough, so I went ahead and transferred my own funds to the Exodus Address. As expected, I am the biggest purchaser by a couple orders of magnitude!

Hopefully I can make those MasterCoins worth a lot of money someday, and bring some of you along for the ride!

Chang Hum

Merit: 502

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 03:16:45 PM

copy and pasted quote! "Yes, I will still control the funds I use to purchase MasterCoins. That's why I can go all in"

Can you re-word this sounds like you mean you'll make up a number and class that as an investment which I'm sure you don't mean!!

I know you've spent a couple of years on it, but it all seems so rushed. It's a bit worrying that your whole system seems to rely on third party escrows, which it looks like you've tried to find without success for your fund raising.

I'm also a bit worried about a couple of the points you said above

-"the gold coin probably being backed by funds in escrow" sorry probably not exact quote, but if this is the case then you're not backing gold. Surely to create a gold coin you need to have a predetermined value in weight held in escrow backed by a coin.

-Also in your paper you comment on strengthening the escrow fund automatically through good trades (by low sell high), when the user above commented people could trade against this occurrence you brushed it off as doing your job and making money... It seems like it was just over looked and would surely undermine the strengthening effect of the escrow fund as described in the paper.

Although you're using a different method, it seems there's a lot of similarities in your paper with the open transaction project; (please collect me if I'm wrong on this still reading through there stuff now at a couple of the sources below)

http://opentransactions.org/wiki/index.php?title=About
http://monetas.net/

They do however seem a lot further ahead with things than you are, could you explain what your idea brings to the table that opencoin doesn't.

BTW wow you're funds have just shot up from 35 to 1,257 BTC while writing this so you must be doing something right!!
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 03:20:33 PM

I'm the guy who earned 10BTC convincing bytemaster that his original system would not track the underlying asset.

Look, let's state the problem theoretically.  Let us propose 2 independent entities "Digi", and "Commodity" which can be priced in a 3rd entity "fiat".   Now the task is to devise a system to create a 4th entity "DigiC", using exclusively Digi that reflects the value of Commodity.  

Since Digi and Commodity are independent variables, this is an impossible task.  Any escrow system that holds Digi and issues DigiC is promising 1 Commodity for every DigiC issued.  It is essentially SHORT Commodity.  So lets say everything starts at 1, so we have N DigiC backed by N Digi.  Now if Commodity goes to 10 fiat and Digi goes down .1fiat, the "expected" value of DigiC is 10*N, but the backing escrow is only worth .1*N.  A factor of 100 difference.  

This will happen in reality as well as theory.  

As Cyprus learned when it gave people CyprusEuro (DigiC) backed by loans (Digi).  When the value of those loans drops, the only solution is to give holders of CyprusEuro a "haircut".

If that doesn't convince you, look at the 7x appreciation of Gold 2000-2012.  Or imagine trying to create a "MasterBitcoin" with a 10x appreciation in 1 year!?  Or pretend that MasterCoin appreciates 10x like bitcoin did, while gold drops 20%.  Now you have the opposite problem your backing is worth SO much more then your coins.

And these aren't even "Black Swan" events (or Black Swans are the new normal).

I think you know that it won't track.  You use terms like "Given a reasonably stable MasterCoin".  But Bitcoin has shown that to be VERY unlikely.  Also, its not even a stable MasterCoin that matters, but a stable RATIO between MasterCoin and the commodity...

The sooner the powerful collective intelligence and creative force moves from this pipe dream to creating a system that simply allows identity-verifiable entities to back digital commodities with a legal framework to enable criminal prosecution if the digital commodity does not meet its contract (AKA no gold in the vault), the sooner we will have a workable system.  Also, look at how the Winkelvoss' (and other) ETFs work to see how multiple backers could exist for a single DigiC.

...You can gain respect for Satoshi's intelligence both by what he did AND by what he chose NOT to do...

Hi TheZerg!

I followed the posts on bytemaster's thread with great interest, since obviously I have similar goals.

You are quite right that some currencies will fail. For instance, if I define a currency that appreciates at 10% a day, it will definitely not be able to track that. In fact, I plan to create some currencies of that type, just to watch them die. I think we will learn a lot about how to tune the parameters for real currencies from their deaths.

The point is not to make currencies that never fail, but rather to make currencies that can conceivably track their target values for a very long time before finally degrading in a graceful and predictable fashion when nobody wants them anymore.

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 03:20:54 PM

Is the escrow optional for the supply and demand pic?  If so then the argument that it is faulty is irrelevant.
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 03:29:08 PM

copy and pasted quote! "Yes, I will still control the funds I use to purchase MasterCoins. That's why I can go all in"

Can you re-word this sounds like you mean you'll make up a number and class that as an investment which I'm sure you don't mean!!

I know you've spent a couple of years on it, but it all seems so rushed. It's a bit worrying that your whole system seems to rely on third party escrows, which it looks like you've tried to find without success for your fund raising.

I'm also a bit worried about a couple of the points you said above

-"the gold coin probably being backed by funds in escrow" sorry probably not exact quote, but if this is the case then you're not backing gold. Surely to create a gold coin you need to have a predetermined value in weight held in escrow backed by a coin.

-Also in your paper you comment on strengthening the escrow fund automatically through good trades (by low sell high), when the user above commented people could trade against this occurrence you brushed it off as doing your job and making money... It seems like it was just over looked and would surely undermine the strengthening effect of the escrow fund as described in the paper.

Although you're using a different method, it seems there's a lot of similarities in your paper with the open transaction project; (please collect me if I'm wrong on this still reading through there stuff now at a couple of the sources below)

http://opentransactions.org/wiki/index.php?title=About
http://monetas.net/

They do however seem a lot further ahead with things than you are, could you explain what your idea brings to the table that opencoin doesn't.

BTW wow you're funds have just shot up from 35 to 1,257 BTC while writing this so you must be doing something right!!

By going "all in" I'm referring to the transfer of my own coins to the Exodus Address, which you noticed.

Regarding the escrow fund, my hypothesis is that you don't need to have a physical asset stored in a warehouse somewhere in order to create a virtual currency to track that asset. I haven't yet proven that I am right.

Regarding helping the escrow fund, I was referring to the escrow fund creating a "self-fulfilling prophecy" ideally, the escrow fund would never have to intervene under normal circumstances. It's just there to correct persistent long-term deviations from the target.

dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 03:30:39 PM

Is the escrow optional for the supply and demand pic?  If so then the argument that it is faulty is irrelevant.

Are you asking if a user-created currency could track a value without an escrow fund? I wouldn't think so. If the escrow fund idea is flawed, then that feature of MasterCoin will fail to work. It will be an interesting experiment, to say the least!

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 166 »
  Print  

Jump to: