Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 02:34:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips on how to have the most secure and safe wallet  (Read 233 times)
Kajune (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:02:35 PM

1. Use mobile phone.

2. Use the most reliable wallet available for mobile phone.

3. Use your mobile phone only as container for your wallet, do not use it for other things such as for phone calls, sms and especially opening websites or mining bitcoin.

4. Only turn on your mobile phone when you want to use your wallet for trading, sending, etc so when you don't use it then just turn it off. Use password protection on it so that when you turn it on it will ask for password that only you know.

5. Store your phone on an iron box or other secure box container, do not bring it with you and if you need a mobile wallet then just make a secondary wallet with the same tips here but with the exception it only have bitcoin with just the amount of you need for buying things, do not bring your main wallet with you where all your bitcoin stored.
buytheeffinD

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

The revolutionary AI gaming ecosystem

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 08:09:44 PM

Disagree I don't think mobile wallets are that safe even if you take those precautions. The only wallets I feel safe with are hardware wallets or paper wallets because those are never online but rather offline completely.

Kajune (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:12:01 PM

Disagree I don't think mobile wallets are that safe even if you take those precautions. The only wallets I feel safe with are hardware wallets or paper wallets because those are never online but rather offline completely.

To use bitcoin then an internet connection is a must, don't you know that basic? Bitcoin is a digital currency in the first place.
Proofer

Merit: 36

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:45:03 PM

To use bitcoin then an internet connection is a must, don't you know that basic? Bitcoin is a digital currency in the first place.
To send and receive requires internet. Hardware wallets do not connect to the internet, but they can connect to a computer via USB and the computer can connect to the internet. The user's private keys never leave the hardware wallet; the hardware wallet can generate receiving addresses and sign send transactions. With a smartphone, the device storing private keys is directly connected to the internet, even if only temporarily.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2100

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:47:24 PM

If you use a dedicated smart phone (factory reset and everything) or a dedicated laptop / pc (fresh install, not used for anything else) you should be fairly safe, that's true. I'd still go for a hardware wallet however. They don't cost that much and keep your coins safe even if physically accessed.

You don't need your wallet to be online to store Bitcoins, only to sign transactions. Using hardware wallets or paper wallets enables you to store your Bitcoins without having the respective private keys exposed to the internet.
hran1085

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:48:49 PM

why don't use hardware wallet, or store in a computer with no internet connection?
Kajune (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:50:07 PM

To send and receive requires internet. Hardware wallets do not connect to the internet, but they can connect to a computer via USB and the computer can connect to the internet. The user's private keys never leave the hardware wallet; the hardware wallet can generate receiving addresses and sign send transactions. With a smartphone, the device storing private keys is directly connected to the internet, even if only temporarily.

In other words no matter what type of wallet you use you still need internet connection, the phone is not just safer and secure but also more easier to operate because you just turn it on including you can choose to turn your internet conenction on and off whenever you want, if hardware is used then you have to usb cable and other stuff that is more harder than using phone.
Kajune (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:52:01 PM

If you use a dedicated smart phone (factory reset and everything) or a dedicated laptop / pc (fresh install, not used for anything else) you should be fairly safe, that's true. I'd still go for a hardware wallet however. They don't cost that much and keep your coins safe even if physically accessed.

You don't need your wallet to be online to store Bitcoins, only to sign transactions. Using hardware wallets or paper wallets enables you to store your Bitcoins without having the respective private keys exposed to the internet.

In the end you still need internet connection to use your bitcoin.
Proofer

Merit: 36

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:58:45 PM

So what? With a hardware wallet your private keys are never exposed to an internet connection. This is not true of a smartphone wallet.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2100

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:59:34 PM

Yes, but the private keys that give you control over your coins are kept offline, which is one of the main aspects of wallet security Smiley

Using a dedicated smart phone / laptop / PC you decrease the chance of getting infected by malware, but since the same device that signs the transaction (ie. being online) also holds the private keys to your wallet, your coins are still exposed to the internet, albeit briefly. That's not the case with hardware wallets, which keep your private keys offline, all the time, even when sending a transaction.

Read here, for example:
https://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-faq/overview.html

Kajune (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:01:23 PM

So what? With a hardware wallet your private keys are never exposed to an internet connection. This is not true of a smartphone wallet.

As long as an internet connection exist then there will always be ways for other peoples to hack into your system no matter what method you use. Even the most biggest companies in the world still got hacked no matter what kind of method they use.

So simply put, as long as conntected to the itnernet then there is always risk from the other side of the internet so just chose which is safer.
Kajune (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:12:07 PM

Actually for me the wise and good move here are use different kinds of wallet,i use four wallet for the safety and they all different like blockchain,mycelium,coinpot.co and coins.ph wallet.I don't trust any kinds of wallet even they has 2fa or private keys but strategy for me is good to do so even incase i has problem in my one wallet there's more 3 wallets that i stock or save my btc also.

Using many wallets also have advantages but less much simple than using less wallet.
Kajune (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:36:11 AM

Anyone who plan to make much safer and secure wallet should follow this tips.
Nhebu

Activity: 616

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:44:35 AM

1. Use mobile phone.

2. Use the most reliable wallet available for mobile phone.

3. Use your mobile phone only as container for your wallet, do not use it for other things such as for phone calls, sms and especially opening websites or mining bitcoin.

4. Only turn on your mobile phone when you want to use your wallet for trading, sending, etc so when you don't use it then just turn it off. Use password protection on it so that when you turn it on it will ask for password that only you know.

5. Store your phone on an iron box or other secure box container, do not bring it with you and if you need a mobile wallet then just make a secondary wallet with the same tips here but with the exception it only have bitcoin with just the amount of you need for buying things, do not bring your main wallet with you where all your bitcoin stored.
Thank you for some information. I think no matter what you are caring with your wallet if the private key that you hold will loose and to someone else or you have entered a phishing site then your money or bitcoin will loss. A matter of caring is enough to protect our wallet into the hands of the scammers. We must be aware of what we are clicking and doing in internet because wallet in online is very dangerous yet it is reliable.
teejaymuna

Activity: 238
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 08:01:30 AM

Use a private device specially dedicated for your Bitcoin transaction. That way you stand a chance of being safe
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 08:16:10 AM

using anything digital that can lose data because of any kind of hardware or software malfunctions is not the "most secure and safe wallet" ever. and when you are talking about something that you carry around with you and can simply be lost or even stolen (your cell phone) then you are decreasing your security intentionally!

the most secure wallet is what you create offline and will always keep offline. if it is hard copy instead of anything digital then you get a bonus point to your security. example: paper wallet.
if you encrypt it then, you get another extra point for security.

Only Bitcoin
Kajune (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 07:34:34 AM

Use a private device specially dedicated for your Bitcoin transaction. That way you stand a chance of being safe

Yea just like your wallet on your pocket but for bitcoin better use 2 different wallet, 1 is where all your bitcoin stored while the other 1 is where only a few of your coin stored that you carry around.
signaturecoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 07:37:01 AM

Mobile wallets are the most hacked and pished ones, i suggest to everybody to try to avoid them like the pest.
Paper wallets and hardware ones are the best ones so far, and a trezor/ledger would be the best option
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 08:01:50 AM

why don't use hardware wallet, or store in a computer with no internet connection?

Because obviously, It is way safer than your bitcoin key or address being exposed on the internet. But mind you that this is only good IMO if you are trying to save your bitcoin for a long-term purpose and not for using bitcoin daily for every transaction. Aside from that, you have the full control of your amounts unlike storing it somewhere like the exchanger sites in which they have your amounts.
postokenlover

Activity: 159

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 08:22:27 AM

I will choose fifth. When using wallet, safety awareness is the most important. Regular backup of your keys is very safe for large bitcoins to be stored in hardware wallet and offline.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: