Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:53:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptocurrency Community Identity Crisis  (Read 106 times)
coinbureau (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:35:15 PM

Vitalik recently took to twitter to lament at the extent of memes and "moon" talk in the crypto community. He said that people seemed to only be focused on making money and not on the underlying purpose of the decentralised project. 

https://www.coinbureau.com/analysis/memes-insults-crude-humor-will-doom-cryptocurrency/

He even went so far as to claim that if this was all it was about, he would leave. What do you guys think about the state of the dialogue at the moment? Do you think it is just a side affect of the young male demographic that is getting really excited about gains? Do you think that it detracts from the purpose of improving people's monetary freedom?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JTTech

Activity: 227
Merit: 26

PRiVCYM4tters🕵🔐PRiVCY MOD🕵

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 07:40:45 PM

I would tend to agree with that stance. While I am certainly into crypto for some financial gain, that isn't my only purpose. I like the idea and technicals behind it aswell. Unfortunately, I think I'm in the minority now. Most people don't give a crap about anything besides money when it comes to crypto now. Insanely lucrative financial opportunities will always attract those type of people though. Hopefully, more people come to realize the purpose and real potential behind crypto over time.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
innocent93
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 08:46:08 PM

Vitalik recently took to twitter to lament at the extent of memes and "moon" talk in the crypto community. He said that people seemed to only be focused on making money and not on the underlying purpose of the decentralised project. 

https://www.coinbureau.com/analysis/memes-insults-crude-humor-will-doom-cryptocurrency/

He even went so far as to claim that if this was all it was about, he would leave. What do you guys think about the state of the dialogue at the moment? Do you think it is just a side affect of the young male demographic that is getting really excited about gains? Do you think that it detracts from the purpose of improving people's monetary freedom?
The most real crypto fans are those who are in this from the beginning, regarding the interest for money, it comes one with the popularity. But this is no reason to leave, you have to stay on your feet.
bizul

Activity: 1064
Merit: 22

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:14:03 PM

What he said, unfortunately, is true. He stated the obvious and nothing out of the ordinary. Most won't care how it works if you can earn a living by selling or buying it. I think he is in it for the purpose of making money first. Plenty of technically fun and challenging projects to do without solid returns, yet he chose cryptos.

At some point, people will realize that they need decentralization. This is when a decentralization (or other features) will be as important as the money itself, but never more important. Even then, the general public will be interested to know that the feature works, not how it works.

▐▐   ▬▬▬▬▬   DeepOnion   ▬▬▬▬▬   ▌▌
████    OWN ONION   •  TOR INTEGRATED    ████
▬▬▬▬  (✔) DeepVault Blockchain Notary   •  DeepSend Privacy Tech  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:18:57 PM

Since cryptocurrency is about decentralization and individuality, the cryptocurrency community isn't a community.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: