Bitcoin Forum
July 28, 2024, 08:28:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help understanding coinbase transfer fees/transactions  (Read 60 times)
justlearning45 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:53:08 AM

Can someone out there please help me figure out where the fee's went? I own some Litecoin which i bought from my Coinbase account. I made two transfers to my hardware wallet. The first transfer was for 1 Litecoin and the second was for 18 Litecoin. The coin I received from the transfer was .5 and 15.5. To say I am beyond irritated is an understatement. Nowhere during the transfer process did it say the fee would be the difference (.5 and 2.5). If it did, I wouldn't have transferred it.

This can't possibly be the fee's associated with making the transfer, can it? I've looked up the transactions on live.blockcypher.com and it shows 1 input consumed and 2 outputs. Now, this doesn't do me any good because, honestly, I have no idea what I'm looking at. Can someone please help me figure this out and the steps I can take, if any, to recoup the remainder of my coin?

Thanks ahead of time for your time.

Justlearning
bitperson

Activity: 210
Merit: 119

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 10:24:37 AM

Can someone out there please help me figure out where the fee's went? I own some Litecoin which i bought from my Coinbase account. I made two transfers to my hardware wallet. The first transfer was for 1 Litecoin and the second was for 18 Litecoin. The coin I received from the transfer was .5 and 15.5. To say I am beyond irritated is an understatement. Nowhere during the transfer process did it say the fee would be the difference (.5 and 2.5). If it did, I wouldn't have transferred it.

This can't possibly be the fee's associated with making the transfer, can it? I've looked up the transactions on live.blockcypher.com and it shows 1 input consumed and 2 outputs. Now, this doesn't do me any good because, honestly, I have no idea what I'm looking at. Can someone please help me figure this out and the steps I can take, if any, to recoup the remainder of my coin?

The Coinbase website states:

Transfers of virtual currency to an address off the Coinbase platform may incur network transaction fees, such as bitcoin miner’s fees, which Coinbase may pass through to you. Any such transfer fees will be disclosed to you at the time of the transaction.

But litecoin transaction fees average around 0.004 litecoins, so what you have been charged seems pretty steep. Since you were able to look up the transactions on the blockchain, you should also be able to view the fees from there.

How to ask questions the smart way
When you’re happy with the answers in a thread you have started, please click ‘lock topic’ to prevent spam.
1AWrZWnN4ThpGB5z24WTzsoZRMqvLpDGYU
keyrun

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 11:06:06 AM

According to coinbase, they use optimum fees for quick transfer but they surely are over charging its customer (though they spend all of it for fees).
They should let user decide the fees, People most of the time will want to save some money rather than have a quick transfer.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 1354

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 11:31:36 AM

It would be best if you could include the transaction itself for us to check what went wrong. AFAIK coinbase transfers only follow what is the cheapest fees at a given time to get your transaction from A to B within the next block. It could be that the transaction fee amounted to what you have stated that was deducted on your total balance but again, we could only guess without us seeing the txid for ourselves.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: