Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:46:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC and USD correlation  (Read 116 times)
davesp (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 01:45:17 PM

Hi,

This may be a silly question but I can't find a good explanation on Google and can't wrap my head around this.

How is it that the overall BTC value of my portfolio is going up, but the USD value of my portfolio is going down? Isn't there a positive correlation between BTC and USD? i.e., the more BTC I have, the more USD I have?

For example, if I own coin X (not BTC), and its worth in BTC has gone up, shouldn't its worth in USD go up as well? Why do I sometimes see coin X as having its worth in BTC go up but its worth in USD go down? or vice versa.

Writing this, I may have just figured it out: From time to time the USD value of BTC goes down, but at the same time the BTC value of coin X goes up. When this happens I would observe an increase in BTC worth of coin X, but at the same time a decline of USD worth of coin X. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Dave
NiceSoft12

Activity: 433
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 08:10:57 AM

No because BTC's value in USD has gone down so much.
davesp (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 09:36:48 AM

Right sounds like what I described at the bottom of my post. Even though BTC goes up its USD value has gone down. Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: