Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:38:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Discovery of nodes that support custom services  (Read 623 times)
TierNolan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 10:48:44 AM

This BIP describes a way to support custom services.

It is only at the draft stage and hasn't been updated in nearly a year.

A potential problem with the system is finding nodes that support a given custom service.

The addr message only gives information about the standard services field.

The BIP could be improved by changing the addr message to include custom services.

The core of the addr message is the Network Address field.

int: last_seen (timestamp)
long: services
byte[16]: ip address (ip4 uses only 4 of these)
short: port

Extra info could be added to the end.

var_int: count
char[count][11]: custom services
int[count]: custom service version

Also, the new custom service field in the version message should have a "discovery" flag.  This indicates that the service requires discovery.

Each service uses at most 11 characters, so they could be fixed 11 character fields.

If there are no extra services, this adds 1 byte to the network address type.

A maximum number of services would have to be set to prevent spam.  However, if an address is received with to many services, the list could simply be truncated.

If a maximum of 10 custom services were supported, then that adds 111 bytes extra to the address (up from 30).

The rule for truncating the list would be that early services are more important than later ones.

Nodes would sort their custom services.  Only services that actually need discovery would be included in that list included in the addr message and the most important ones would occur earlier.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 02:04:34 PM

It would be nice to have an "addr_v2" message, which supports a list of services.  Or some non-propagated way of enumerating services, like a "list_services" P2P message.  I've proposed such myself.

The main issues are thinking about how this gets propagated around the network properly, getting this info from various seeding mechanisms (if possible), and trying to avoid DoS issues.

Also, we have nowhere near 64 services, so there are plenty of bits available for use right now, with zero protocol modifications.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
TierNolan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 02:22:12 PM

It would be nice to have an "addr_v2" message, which supports a list of services.  Or some non-propagated way of enumerating services, like a "list_services" P2P message.  I've proposed such myself.

I don't see why it needs a new addr type.  Other messages aren't set in stone.  You can use the old form if you connect to an old node.

The extra info would only be forwarded by new nodes.

The main issues are thinking about how this gets propagated around the network properly, getting this info from various seeding mechanisms (if possible), and trying to avoid DoS issues.

What about using a bloom filter against the service name.

With a 256 bit auxServices field, 3 bits per service, a node with 5 services would write to 15 bits.

The odds of a false positive would be 1.3% for a 64 bit field, 0.16% for a 128 bit field and 0.02% for 256.

A node could prefix the number of bits, so that a small number of services could have reduced collision probability.

With 10 bits, the 256 bit field has a collision probability of 0.0000081%.

256 bits would mean a doubling of the addr entry size.

Also, we have nowhere near 64 services, so there are plenty of bits available for use right now, with zero protocol modifications.

However, that is a central solution.  You need to get approval first.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
Stefan Thomas

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 03:49:00 PM

I wrote a BIP on discovery to go along with BIP 36, just never submitted it: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:Justmoon/BIP_Draft:_Custom_Service_Discovery

Since I'm busy with other projects, if anyone wants to take up and/or finish either of these, please do!

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: