Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 03:53:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PC crashes when mining zcash 3GPU, ETH mining is fine. Power surge msg in bios  (Read 105 times)
Leafar1988 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 06:39:40 PM

I am mining with 1x1080ti and 2x1070's. I mine etherum using claymore miner for weeks with no problems. I switched to mining zcash using (EWBF)cuda miner and as soon as i start the bat file my pc crashes and restarts with a bios message stating there was a power surge. I have a 760 watt PSU and hero maximus 8 MOBO. While mining ETH with the 3 GPU's i use 580-600 watts of power and it never crashes and reboots my pc.. Any idea why its crashing "power surge" when I mine zcash with 3 gpu's?

I tested mining zcash with (EWBF)cuda miner with 1 gpu and that seemed to be stable. If i add the other 2 gpus it has a power surge and crashes.

I know the bios says power surge but why would 3gpus work fine when i mine ethereum?

For zcash i tried different miners and different versions
PCI E setting in bios is set to GEN1 (i tried gen 2 and gen 3 same result)
I set gpus to factory clock settings and same issue when mining zcash only.
Thanks.
fapar

Activity: 1414
Merit: 267

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:20:30 PM

I am mining with 1x1080ti and 2x1070's. I mine etherum using claymore miner for weeks with no problems. I switched to mining zcash using (EWBF)cuda miner and as soon as i start the bat file my pc crashes and restarts with a bios message stating there was a power surge. I have a 760 watt PSU and hero maximus 8 MOBO. While mining ETH with the 3 GPU's i use 580-600 watts of power and it never crashes and reboots my pc.. Any idea why its crashing "power surge" when I mine zcash with 3 gpu's?

I tested mining zcash with (EWBF)cuda miner with 1 gpu and that seemed to be stable. If i add the other 2 gpus it has a power surge and crashes.

I know the bios says power surge but why would 3gpus work fine when i mine ethereum?

Thanks.

ETH is demanding on the memory frequency - the higher the frequency, the more is the hashrate.
ZEC is demanding on the frequency of the GPU - the higher the frequency the greater the hashed. But energy consumption also increases strongly.
With ETH mining, power consumption is lower.
Maybe your videocards start to use the boost mode and the PSU can not cope.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 08:15:22 PM

Thanks.

ROFL 760w psu is NOT enough since you've got a 1080ti in the mix, your also not leaving enough headroom for your psu incase there is a surge. get a better psu

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 09:33:28 PM

Your 1080ti can pull around 300++ watts during ZEC mining , ( mining zcash need higher frequency for the gpu , not the memory ) you can underclock/undervolt your memory to save some power Smiley

Your 2x1070 , each one can pull over 200 watts easy ... so that is 400Watts ++

your system , mobo/cpu/memory/hdd pulling around 60-80 watts

300+400+80=780 watts and you have a 760 watts rated psu ... i would not use a psu over 80-85% load , so stay on the safe side 650watts total system draw is would be totaly safe if you have a no name , no silver/gold/platinum rated psu .

Do you using powerded risers ? Do you using both 6pin and 8 pin power connectors on your card ?

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: