Bitcoin Forum
September 10, 2024, 02:13:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seems there is a couple different versions of the Nvidia 1080ti  (Read 149 times)
A.Delaney (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:30:08 PM

I was thinking about a single GPU for Zcash. After much reading here I have come to the conclusion for a single GPU to go with a 1080ti. I looked on Amazon and there seems to be a few different versions of it from Nvidia.  Huh Are there some features I need to be aware of picking out one of these?

Also if I built a PC using an open case like the Thermaltake Core P1 or similar. Could I add a second or third 1080ti later on in a small frame behind it and just hook them up? I didn't really want to go crazy with it right off the bat. If I decided it wasn't for me I could still use it as a desk top PC with only the one GPU and not have a big chassis sitting there for only one GPU.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:33:37 PM

Smart move on not going crazy till u figure it out.

IMO the cards are all the same, what you're really paying for in the higher cost 1080's are the upgraded fans and heatsinks. If you're just rocking 1 or 2 just go with the cheapest one. Zotacs ASUS EVGA are what I personally like, I hate MSI and Gigabyte.
A.Delaney (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:36:26 PM

This is the one I was looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Optimized-Interlaced-Graphics-11G-P4-6393-KR/dp/B06Y11DFZ3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514490121&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+1080ti
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:37:47 PM

One of my favorites - the heat sink is a monster love love love it.

There are some peoople that have complained about the SC2's but for me personally SC's and SC2's are my favorite 1080 Ti's
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:45:12 PM

The EVGA SC Black is my favorite GTX 1080 ti model.

It doesn't cool as well as the MONSTERS like the Aorus or Duke or Amp Extreme, but it cools WELL ENOUGH and then some if you are aiming for efficient mining, and the 8 pin + 6 pin power connectors setup is a LOT easier to deal with on a multi-card with than the higher-end cards with their dual 8-pin connectors.

I also appreciate the relative LACK of worthless funky LED lighting - I wish they'd get rid if the part that lights up on the top of the card, but that's relatively minor compared to a LOT of cards lately.

The LEDs might not eat a noticeable amount of power, but it takes MONEY to do the design work AND to incorporate the LEDS and their circuitry and connectors into the card, which makes the card more expensive by SOME factor.

The ASUS Turbo (blower model) is my second-favorite - if it cooled better it might turn into my favorite though, as it's usually the lowest or one of the 2-3 lowest priced cards available at any given time.

Both cards get my attention at least in part due to their BALL BEARING FANS.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:45:19 PM

Agreed on the SC's and SC2's.  I got a rig with 9x SC's and another with 9x SC2's.  I run them at 200W each and they still stay quite cool:

A.Delaney (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:49:49 PM

Ok great! I feel much better knowing that.

Do you think I can add a few later by tying them into an open design PC case?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: