Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:15:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty didn't go down, after all: 1 564 057.45 (old 1 379 192.2882281, 1.13)  (Read 3091 times)
SeriousWorm (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:41:15 PM

First block of current difficulty: http://blockexplorer.com/block/00000000000006f5d58e11e705c01b33a87f6d31f6b5bded34f01c68ad4e3d61

Initial estimates of next difficulty are, of course, crazy, we need to wait a while for them to stabilize.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:43:45 PM

who said it was going down?

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:45:56 PM

The people who were saying that difficulty follows price.

Mousepotato
SeriousWorm (OP)

Activity: 54

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:46:09 PM

Some were speculating it could go down.
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:47:43 PM

The estimated difficulty was tanking over the last few days, presumably because of miners pulling their hardware and selling it, and I'm sure the larger pools getting DDoSed didn't help. I'm guessing some people extrapolated that and combined it with their own desires to thinkthat the difficulty ought to drop, but they failed to take into account that in the first half of this recalculation period, we had huge growth of hashing power.

I'm not sure if we've been in the new period long enough, but BitcoinCharts is forecasting a growth in difficulty of only ~2.4k right now.

^_^
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:47:58 PM

It hasn't caught up to the price yet.
coinvestor

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 08:51:17 PM

We shouldn't ignore that the percent difference between this difficulty and the last has decreased by over half in comparison to the previous percent difference. the difficulty is definitely going to plateau in the coming weeks.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:53:32 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2011, 09:12:05 PM by sadpandatech

^^ this.

Right now next dif estimate is at about another 10% increase, or ~1.727mil  
This does not account for the large amount of hardware still being bought that is not online yet and the lag behind price which has recouped some today.

edited; for crap typing skillz

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Mousepotato

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:56:47 PM

^^ this.

Right now next dif extimate is at about another 10% increase, or ~1.727mil 
This does not account for the large amount of hardware still being bought that is not online yet and the lag behind price which has recouped some today.
Makes sense, yet at the same time it's an arguable subject.  Who's to say that price doesn't actually follow difficulty?  But the price just "hasn't caught up yet" either.  Chicken or the egg, you pick.  Smiley

Mousepotato
kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:01:38 PM

Correlation != causation, but the sipa charts show growth trailing off or even possibly going negative:

http://bitcoin.sipa.be/
ampkZjWDQcqT

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:11:53 PM

I think it rather follows value. Value is not always the same as price. For instance, as I think Bitcoins are going to rise by several factors in the next years and I think long term their value for me is much higher than it's current price.

Makes sense, yet at the same time it's an arguable subject.  Who's to say that price doesn't actually follow difficulty?  But the price just "hasn't caught up yet" either.  Chicken or the egg, you pick.

Difficulty affects price and vice versa, but there are other factors to consider as well.

Usually when I see something be referred to as a Chicken or the egg problem it's simply a misunderstanding of logic or the nature of the specific underlying problem. This is no exception, what you're talking about is a feedback loop, there is nothing weird about it and is omnipresent in everyday systems, including our body. The "Chicken or the egg problem" itself arises from inconsistent definitions, it's the same as asking whether a fixed object would move when pushed by an irresistible force.

Revised 2011-07-06 21:13 UTC: formatting & wording.

If you found my comment useful please express your gratitude by doing an action of similar magnitude towards a better society. Thanks you!.
Mousepotato

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:18:15 PM

Difficulty affects price and vice versa, but there are other factors to consider as well.

Usually when I see something be referred to as a Chicken or the egg problem it's simply a misunderstanding of logic or the nature of the specific underlying problem. This is no exception, what you're talking about is a feedback loop, there is nothing weird about it and is omnipresent in everyday systems, including our body. The "Chicken or the egg problem" itself arises from inconsistent definitions, it's the same as asking whether a fixed object would move when pushed by an irresistible force.

Well, difficulty rose even before Bitcoins had a $ amount affixed to them.  So literally speaking, difficulty came first, followed by price.  Somewhere along the line though, you're right that the argument became more of a feedback loop.  And that's probably a better analogy to use at this point in the game.

Mousepotato
sadpandatech

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:22:26 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2011, 09:33:41 PM by sadpandatech

Well, difficulty rose even before Bitcoins had a $ amount affixed to them.  So literally speaking, difficulty came first, followed by price.  Somewhere along the line though, you're right that the argument became more of a feedback loop.  And that's probably a better analogy to use at this point in the game.

Definetly agree but not nearly as fun.  I vote chicken. Wait no, I vote egg..  Does a partially devoloped embryo count as both? ;p

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:32:11 PM

The network did shrink a little for the first time. But because difficulty is often delayed (it averaged the entire last two weeks, which it not where the network currently is), the difficulty didn't go down. It might go down next time if there isn't a big rally between now and then, but I'd give 3:1 odds that there will be.

Notice it poking under 0 recently in the 3-day growth rate. Although, that might have something to do with the recent DDOS'es. In any case, I'm happy, good mining.
sadpandatech

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:39:11 PM

The network did shrink a little for the first time. But because difficulty is often delayed (it averaged the entire last two weeks, which it not where the network currently is), the difficulty didn't go down. It might go down next time if there isn't a big rally between now and then, but I'd give 3:1 odds that there will be.

Notice it poking under 0 recently in the 3-day growth rate. I'm happy, good mining.

A good portion of the down poking of the past few days can likely be attributed to the Ddosing of some of the larger pools and the ~60Ghash that switched to mining namecoins for a few days. And a small percentage of those 'at-home' types flipping the miners off.  Albeit that last one is likely very small in light of the whole, as is the 60Ghash estimate, it all adds up.

I'd take a good look at it again in another 7-10 days, giving time for new recently acquired hardware to come online and other factors(price increase again) etc.

My vote is it going up enough to drive the next difficulty estimate up to about 1.8mil by then from the current 1.727 estimate.

- GA

MikesMechanix

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:46:37 PM

At the current ~240 % profitability (typical profit/cost of electricity), I wouldn't expect any long term decreases anytime soon.

At 1 BTC = ~$15, I'd expect it to increase up to roughly 5,000,000 before plateauing.

Please send your extra Bitcoins to 17miTorGDBUh3yNTYJtodJPw9wzrcNcf6y. Thank you!

Sign up on TradeHill Instant Bitcoin Exchange using this link to get a lifetime 10 % discount on trades!
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:50:26 PM

At the current ~240 % profitability (typical profit/cost of electricity), I wouldn't expect any long term decreases anytime soon.

At 1 BTC = ~$15, I'd expect it to increase up to roughly 4,900,000 - 5,000,000 before plateauing.

You have to factor in equipment and space too. Electricity isn't the only cost to mining. I would think it lower, 3.5 mil, perhaps. And most big mining operation are counting on the continued success of bitcoin to justify initial costs. I think the past months troubles have made some question that.
Man From The Future

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:56:25 PM

Notice it poking under 0 recently in the 3-day growth rate. I'm happy, good mining.

A good portion of the down poking of the past few days can likely be attributed to the Ddosing of some of the larger pools and the ~60Ghash that switched to mining namecoins for a few days. And a small percentage of those 'at-home' types flipping the miners off.  Albeit that last one is likely very small in light of the whole, as is the 60Ghash estimate, it all adds up.

I'd take a good look at it again in another 7-10 days, giving time for new recently acquired hardware to come online and other factors(price increase again) etc.

My vote is it going up enough to drive the next difficulty estimate up to about 1.8mil by then from the current 1.727 estimate.

And it's the summer holidays for school children now - so more tiem taking over home computers to play video games. Yet another small factor? Smiley

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
MikesMechanix

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:25:45 PM

You have to factor in equipment and space too. Electricity isn't the only cost to mining. I would think it lower, 3.5 mil, perhaps. And most big mining operation are counting on the continued success of bitcoin to justify initial costs. I think the past months troubles have made some question that.

5,000,000 difficulty @ $15 per Bitcoin would give you a little over 10 % markup, which is still somewhat above where most highly competitive markets settle. Initial costs are only a barrier to entry (tying up capital), and operating costs are typically tackled with economies of scale. Obviously, at less than $.30 profit per day per gigahash, you'd need a giant operation for mining to make any sense, anyway.

The numbers are very rough estimates, of course. For instance, I'd expect serious mining operations to by power in bulk or do something more creative such as start their own windfarms in order to get some cheap electricity...

Please send your extra Bitcoins to 17miTorGDBUh3yNTYJtodJPw9wzrcNcf6y. Thank you!

Sign up on TradeHill Instant Bitcoin Exchange using this link to get a lifetime 10 % discount on trades!
gw4tt

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 12:39:03 AM

You also have to factor in hardware depreciation costs.. New video cards come out all the time, usually once a year but can be sooner... and also the fact that other technology could come out and disrupt your entire "large scale" operation (ASICs etc). Technology moves very fast - it's going to have to be higher than $.30 per gigahash. At that rate you'll almost certainly go negative, unless you play the markets and make sure to sell your hardware at the right time.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: