Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:07:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Bitcoin, looking for some advice...  (Read 335 times)
lecomputer (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 01:07:07 AM

Hi everyone

I have known about Bitcoin for many years, but did not have the money to invest until now. I know many think it is a bad time and the bubble will burst, and from what I know there is no way of telling what will happen next, so it is just a risk to be taken.

It seems that as there is a dip right now that its not a bad time to invest. I am from the UK but currently living in Thailand for the next few months. Can anyone reccomend the best/safest place to buy Bitcoin if I'm from the UK. Is it possible when I am here in Thailand?  My cousin said he used an offline wallet called Electrum, but said I could just leave the Bitcoin in the accoun of the place I bought it from. What is the best thing to do, what site would you use?

I was thinking of buying £1000 worth, and just leaving it in and seeing what happens over the next few years. I do not plan to constantly buy and sell, or to build up a portfolio of other cryptocurrencies.

Does £1000 seem like a reasonable investment at this point in the game? Obviously if Id invested that at the start of the year Id be very happy now, but I guess the likelihood of similar returns in the next year are unlikely, but who knows!! 

Also, are there other crypto currencies you think might be a better investment, or better to split with Bitcoin?

Thanks, any advice greatly appreciated
Pintasak

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 01:22:59 AM

Hi everyone

I have known about Bitcoin for many years, but did not have the money to invest until now. I know many think it is a bad time and the bubble will burst, and from what I know there is no way of telling what will happen next, so it is just a risk to be taken.

It seems that as there is a dip right now that its not a bad time to invest. I am from the UK but currently living in Thailand for the next few months. Can anyone reccomend the best/safest place to buy Bitcoin if I'm from the UK. Is it possible when I am here in Thailand?  My cousin said he used an offline wallet called Electrum, but said I could just leave the Bitcoin in the accoun of the place I bought it from. What is the best thing to do, what site would you use?

I was thinking of buying £1000 worth, and just leaving it in and seeing what happens over the next few years. I do not plan to constantly buy and sell, or to build up a portfolio of other cryptocurrencies.

Does £1000 seem like a reasonable investment at this point in the game? Obviously if Id invested that at the start of the year Id be very happy now, but I guess the likelihood of similar returns in the next year are unlikely, but who knows!! 

Also, are there other crypto currencies you think might be a better investment, or better to split with Bitcoin?Yes newly begineer in bitcoin has its all whys and hows but seeking and willing to learn from the masters can really helps us from making bitcoin more productive in us.Just learn to exert more to achieve comprehensive goals

boboking

Activity: 224
Merit: 19

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 01:31:41 AM

Hi everyone

Also, are there other crypto currencies you think might be a better investment, or better to split with Bitcoin?

Yes , it is a great time to buy now since Bitcoin price is steady, if you are going to hold it for years then I suggest to buy some altcoins as well.

You need to diversify, for the altcoins you may want to search what has potential in the future.

Agetan

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 01:41:11 AM

Hi everyone

Now it is a bit late to start with bitcoin. I think altcoin gives us more chance to get freedom.
Eventhough it is late now, but it is better than not join. Risk need to be taken to get profit.
lecomputer (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 01:49:54 AM

Thanks, i am prepared to take a risk. But it seems the risk with bitcoin is less than with Altcoins, although also less chance of huge returns or losses. I would rathr play it slightly safer with bitcoins to start with.

Can someone reccomend the best place to buy bitcoins in the UK? Also, do I need a wallet to keep them in?
Wipangga

Activity: 600

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 01:59:10 AM

Bitcoin, crypto currency in the form of investments and transactions, if you want to do that for me it is great to do that,
but investing in high risk bitcoins, if you can control it you are very lucky, to get more profit, especially in view next year bitcoin prices are very promising again because of the many people who do it.
nonak

Activity: 130

1PSVDDW6Qfjp9oQY73JMdTJDownJNEwmac

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 02:01:23 AM

I would buy bitcoin und ethereum (80%-20%). These seem to have a future.
Cryptocurrency is more reliable to save in the offline wallets over the next few years.

1PSVDDW6Qfjp9oQY73JMdTJDownJNEwmac
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 02:14:44 AM

I heard that theres a community of Bitcoiners there in Thailand that is mostly comprised of foreigners. I am not sure but go ask on /r/bitcoin in reddit.com.

If there is then I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you get some coins and teach you how to store them securely.
lecomputer (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 02:15:13 AM

So can anyone recommend a good place to buy for people from the UK. And what is the best wallet to use for investments of £1000 or around that much?

Ive been reading for hours and theres so much conflicting info!
pinkflower

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 02:19:05 AM

So can anyone recommend a good place to buy for people from the UK. And what is the best wallet to use for investments of £1000 or around that much?

Ive been reading for hours and theres so much conflicting info!

Read my post above. I recommend having someone with you who knows BTC in person than relying on random people in the forum.

But if you have no choice and you want to buy now, try looking around localbitcoins.com and find a seller there.

Having that said, dont you ever leave your coins in a website. Always store it in a desktop wallet. Use Electrum. Its the best.

https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 02:20:32 AM

You should buy as much as you can afford right now. We need new blood to quench our thirst for profit. Buy buy buy

edzquimno16

Activity: 52

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 02:24:08 AM

Hi everyone

Hello, It's nice if you started in bitcoin earlier at bitcoin price is low, But its not too late to engage to bitcoin you can use bitcoin wallet if you dont have money to invest. And participating to ICO is best option you will get bounty and you wont be able to invest money just get free token and hodl that token and if that token price will go high then exchange it to bitcoin there you have your bitcoin. hope this helps thanks
lecomputer (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 02:34:03 AM

Thanks pinkflower, I posted at the same time as your post

I will be leaving Thailand in a couple of months, and really want to approach it as if I was in the UK. I have a UK bank where the money will come from. What is the quickest way to actually buy, without having to wit days or weeks for verification, and for exchange?  Coinbase seems to be popular but the fee is high if I spend £1000

Yes a friend recommended Electrum, but I read elsewhere that for amounts above £500 that paying for something more secure is a good idea. What do you think?
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 03:06:11 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2017, 03:17:06 AM by iamTom123

Thanks, i am prepared to take a risk. But it seems the risk with bitcoin is less than with Altcoins, although also less chance of huge returns or losses. I would rather play it slightly safer with bitcoins to start with. Can someone recommenced the best place to buy bitcoins in the UK? Also, do I need a wallet to keep them in?

Yes, you need a wallet where to store your Bitcoin otherwise you may buy Nano Ledger or similar devices if you want to be much safer. Since you are a risk taker and it seems you know what you are doing and what you want then today is the right time to get into Bitcoin as we are still in the middle of the December Dip...who knows Bitcoin may accelerate into $50,000 within next year (don't always believe me on this lol).

Also invest some of your money with reliable altcoins like Ethereum, BitcoinCash, XRP and Monero. There are now so many opportunities in the world of cryptocurrency and the best strategy is to hold them for many months and see how far has the coin has grown. Best of luck on your endeavors...sorry I really don't know how you can buy Bitcoin in the UK except maybe localbitcoins just search for more information on that either in this forum or Google.

payyy

Activity: 518
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 03:07:10 AM

The first thing that you need to do is create a paper wallet for safe purposes, it will keep you more safer than if you store them on a simple exchange. And then, buy those bitcoins in localbitcoins for p2p, there is nothing more safer than that.
pinkflower

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 03:08:04 AM

Thanks pinkflower, I posted at the same time as your post

I will be leaving Thailand in a couple of months, and really want to approach it as if I was in the UK. I have a UK bank where the money will come from. What is the quickest way to actually buy, without having to wit days or weeks for verification, and for exchange?  Coinbase seems to be popular but the fee is high if I spend £1000

Yes a friend recommended Electrum, but I read elsewhere that for amounts above £500 that paying for something more secure is a good idea. What do you think?

These days I dont know any exchange that doesnt require verification. Try finding a seller on localbitcoins.com. There are some sellers that are willing to sell you some BTC without ID. But it wont be as high as £1000.

You can also try the marketplace/currency exchange subforum here. But be careful, there are lots of scammers.

Electrum is okay but make sure that your computer is clean and secure. But buying a hardware wallet is good too if you can afford it.

https://bitcoin.org/en/wallets/hardware/
lecomputer (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 03:15:40 AM

Thanks for the advice

Yes I would like to invest now if possible, but I dont want to rush in and make a stupid mistake. So I just need to the find the right place to buy, and the right way to store them.

What is considered the safest wallet that is not hardware?

Also, if my plan is just to buy and leave the bitcoin there, not to trade/buy/sell then is there a safer way to store it?
edzquimno16

Activity: 52

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 04:58:40 AM

Thanks, i am prepared to take a risk. But it seems the risk with bitcoin is less than with Altcoins, although also less chance of huge returns or losses. I would rathr play it slightly safer with bitcoins to start with.

Can someone reccomend the best place to buy bitcoins in the UK? Also, do I need a wallet to keep them in?

Hey mate ! You mean buying bitcoin in UK in a physical store or online ? if online you can do research on google where to buy . There's many out there you just need to do is use your internet and research. Speaking of buying bitcoin in UK at physical store , I can't help . But try localbitcoins.com maybe you can buy there . Thanks ! Hope it helps !
janah

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:02:59 AM

Hi everyone

Its too late to invest bitcoin but in other crypto you have chance because there are many cryptos who just starting but choose the good ones because if you choose a scam coins it is a tottaly waste of time.
lecomputer (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 09:19:20 AM

Thanks. It seems that I will get more for my money on Coinbase than on Localbitcoins, even with the fees. But then there are fees when transferring to another wallet. Im finding it all a bit confusing!

My intent is to spend a certain amount on Bitcoin and then just sit on it for a while and see what happens. So I'm trying to find a simple way to buy it and then store it. Can you reccomend a the simplest/safest way to do a paper wallet?

Or do you think for the amount Im investing its ok just to use Electrum?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: