Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:40:26 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to keep my cryptocurrencies safe?  (Read 188 times)
Crypto_Qv9 (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

Crypto N Kafe is Live. Join the Pre-ICO now!

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2017, 05:56:00 AM

Can anyone suggest the best ways to keep cryptocurrencies safe?

Sponsoredby15

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:25:46 AM

Buy a hardware wallet or just install metamask on your google chrome to prevent phishing sites or being hacked. Hackers have many methods to penetrate our wallet just use the metamask if you cant provide a ledger wallet
Crypto_Qv9 (OP)

Activity: 126

Crypto N Kafe is Live. Join the Pre-ICO now!

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 09:03:38 AM

bump!

JakeRTFM

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 09:14:18 AM

What about paper wallet ? If you don't trade often, it is a good solution, no ?
Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 09:21:32 AM

Hardware wallet is the best choice if you have a large amount invested. But if you are wanting to trade frequently, then it is okay to keep a small amount on a reputable exchange so that you can respond quickly.
MEW or imToken are also good for ERC20 stuff.

covfefe_

Activity: 935
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 09:22:10 AM

Safest way is to print your private keys and secure it in some safe place like locker.
If you don't want the hassle to type encrypt in a way only you'll know and sync it to your cloud drive.
You can use hardware wallet for safety as well as usability.
LAODINGTOU

Activity: 70

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 09:23:00 AM

If you want to be safe, it's relatively safe to use an offline wallet, but I usually put it on the exchange, because you can get a split coin.
Karto

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 09:28:27 AM

use cold storage or hardware walllet
use 2FA in the exchanges, and dont leave your coins on the exchange too long
dont enter to exchanges from everycomputer, only from 1 safe clean computer and only at home
dont talk about how many coins you have

just act like its the most important thing in the world
Hemady17

Activity: 505
Merit: 35

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 09:36:04 AM

The safest way is to use hardware wallet in order to prevent scams, do not click any site because maybe it will lead you to phishing site (specially in ethereum wallet), do not give your private keys! And be wisely and alert whenever will you enter an exchanges.
The most important ways to prevent scamming is to check if the site you are entering is legit by means of asking here in forum. That's all.

Base Protocol                                     Presale
Hold one token; Hold all tokens                [ Website ]
BitcoinTalk  |  Discord  |  Twitter  |  Medium  |  Telegram
Uhde

Activity: 616
Merit: 124

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 09:52:37 AM

You should store them safely. Dont ue any online wallet.
Buy a hardware wallet like ledger or trezor. They are safe comparing with many other storing methods. Or you can use paper wallet as well.
misterj

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 09:57:58 AM

I would suggest for you to know your wallet first very well because this is where you woud put or store your cryptocurrencies or tokens. investing in a wallet that has a high risk of security breach might give you a hard time so plan well. Mostly the wallets that are safe are commonly used by us such as electrum and MEW or myetherwallet but there is more types, this are only what I used. You should learn more about the exchange that you would use because sometimes this are attacked by hackers or spammers. The latest, I think, of security breach in an exchange is in etherdelta but it is fixed right away thus, making us users believe that even they are attacked they have a plan or a team to defend the exchange as fast as possible. So I think this is where you should start and others safety precaution could be learn by reading here more and through experience.

██▄░░▄▄░░▄▄▄░░░░░▄▄Blockchain Art Platform
█▄▀░░█▄▄▄█▄█▄▀[Twitter]  [Telegram] [Reddit] [Medium]
░░░█▄█▄▄▄█░░█▄█▄▄Tradable Assets  Unique Ownership  Proven Authenticity
matjas

Activity: 798
Merit: 115

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:33:29 AM

Its really recommended to have a hardware wallet like ledger nano. If you think you still dont need it, you should store your private keys and files on a few usb-s and use separate wallet for trading and another one for long term investments and keep their keys separately.

newinbtc
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:38:12 AM

Buy a hardware wallet or just install metamask on your google chrome to prevent phishing sites or being hacked. Hackers have many methods to penetrate our wallet just use the metamask if you cant provide a ledger wallet

One of my freind lost Funds from metamask While trading on EtherDelta. Seems metamask is not safe. May be he did something wrong.

I will suggest to Use myetherwallet main Etherum wallet to keep you funds safe where thy Ask for additional verification Such as Sms verification , Email verification and google auth. Just like blockchain main wallet.

That will be the safest way to store money , never store funds in any exchange for more than 10 days it may be risky.
renes

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:43:34 AM

Keep keys away from internet connection and humans, this can be achieved by hardware wallets, paper wallets etc. Hardware wallet is the best for me.
Subb0

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:44:59 AM

use a paper wallet Smiley
SenSeiSoKo

Activity: 224

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:49:20 AM

something like a ledger or a paper wallet is good for storing cryptocurrencies, but there are risks too! but exchanges are a risky thing but who knows
penig

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:53:41 AM

Same ways you should keep your other data and access to services and accounts safe: use strong passwords (length and variation), run good AV, have backups and dont click on suspicious or unsolicited links.  Added security for cryptocurrency are paper wallets, hardware wallets.  A zero cost alternative to hardware wallet may be to run a VM for crypto only operations.
sparg

Activity: 280
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 11:00:32 AM

I`ll tell woy how i do it.
First i keep on exchange only a small anount with wich i do some trading just for the fun of it.
I have a wallet on MyEtherWallet where i keep my coins and i have printed a paper wallet that i keep in a place that i only now.
I use a safe computer that i only have acces and i use it only for crypto and i am very carrefull on wich link i click on. I it very important to have a clean PC.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: