Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 07:21:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory FAQ update - Help requested  (Read 157 times)
droark (OP)

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2017, 06:59:20 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2017, 12:04:35 AM by droark

Hey everyone. I'm working on an updated FAQ for goatpig's [web site](https://btcarmory.com/docs/faq). It'll be somewhat minimal at first, although I suspect it'll expand later to add things like video tutorials and more advanced info if it makes sense. Anyway, I'd like to get some initial questions up soon. I figured I'd crowdsource some help, especially since a lot of newbs are showing up and asking the same questions. (Nothing against newbs! It's just tiring answering the same questions over and over, just as I'm sure newbs are frustrated by the lack of easily accessible info regarding Armory's requirements and why they matter.) What I have so far is listed below. Suggestions and corrections welcome! I'll fill in some of the details over the next few days, so no worries there.

Thanks!

---What do I need in order to run Armory?---
That depends on your setup. In order to run Armory, look at the [README](https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/master/README.md), along with a [macOS-specific README](https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/master/README_macOS.md). These will mention the software you need to run Armory and how to install it. Instructions will also be included for those who wish to compile Armory.

A special note must be made regarding [Bitcoin Core](https://bitcoincore.org/). If you're using an online/offline setup or an online-only setup, you *must* install Bitcoin Core on the same online machine as Armory. This is *mandatory*. The online portion of Armory relies on Core in multiple ways. In particular, Core downloads the blockchain that Armory uses, and Core broadcasts Armory's transactions onto the Bitcoin Core network. As of the beginning of 2018, the blockchain is ~185 GB large. Keep that in mind when you install Armory, especially if your ISP has monthly bandwidth caps.

In addition, if you wish to send coins or check whether your wallets have received coins, Armory and Core *must run at the same time*. Armory can run on its own. However, running Core alongside Armory is *mandatory* if you wish to actually see your (updated) balance.

---OH MAN OH MAN BITCOINZ GUNNA MKE ME RICH AF A BUDY SED EYE SHULD UZE ARMORY IM DOWNLODIN IT NOW MUNEE MUNEE CASH MUNEE...---
Slow down. Armory is a wallet that expects its user to understand the fundamentals of Bitcoin, along with understand the requirements in order for Armory to work properly. The Armory devs are happy that people want to use Armory. The devs also do *not* want to babysit people who don't know what they're doing. People who show a basic understanding of how Armory works will receive far more help than people who show up and just say, "I cant see my coins, im losing money,Armory sux."

---Okay. What's a safe way to learn how Armory works?---
If you insist on experimenting with random wallets, do *not* use "mainnet" coins (i.e., the coins worth fiat currency)! That's extremely hazardous behavior. Get some "testnet" coins from a [faucet](https://testnet.manu.backend.hamburg/faucet) and activate Armory in testnet mode. The testnet coins are worth nothing and are intended for developers and for users experimenting with Bitcoin. If something goes wrong, you lose nothing other than a bit of your time. Once Bitcoin Core is run in testnet mode and is synchronized with the Bitcoin Core test network, you can run Armory in testnet mode and use Armory to control your testnet coins.

---Are there any Armory tutorials?---
Yes, on YouTube. These tutorials may be a bit dated but should show you some basics regarding how to use Armory. If anybody wishes to create tutorials, or at least suggest tutorials they found particularly helpful, please make a suggestion!

---Why's Armory bothering me about backups? What's the big deal?---
(FINISH)

---What's this whole offline/online thing? How does it work?---
(FINISH)

---HELP! I sent coins to Armory, and they're not showing up in my balance!---
Relax. If you sent the coins to an address in an Armory wallet you control, your coins are on the blockchain and are safe. As long as you don't delete your wallet or destroy your backups (paper and/or digital), and sketchy hackers haven't planted malware on your computer, you'll be fine.

Now then, chances are that you raced off, installed Armory, and had coins sent to it without installing Bitcoin Core, or at least letting Core fully sync. Please ensure that Core is fully synced before proceeding. You can tell if Core is synced by running Core, letting it download all the available blocks, and checking the number of blocks available. You can check it using the following methods.

- bitcoin-qt (aka the Bitcoin Core GUI): Hovering your mouse over the checkmark in the lower-right corner will tell you the number of blocks.
- bitcoind: Query bitcoind with the `getblockcount` command.

While Core is running, start Armory in online mode (i.e., the default mode). Once Armory has synced, look in the lower-right corner. There should be green text that says "Connected (XXXXXX blocks)", where XXXXXX equals the number of blocks Armory thinks exist. The numbers produced by Core and Armory should be equal.

If Core is fully synced and Armory shows a different number of blocks, here are some more things you can do.

- Disable Core auto-management in Armory. The feature is a bit problematic, and users have occasionally believed Core is running when it really isn't. Running Core yourself ensures these kinds of mistakes don't happen.
- In the taskbar, choose "Help" -> "Rebuild and Rescan Databases".
- (FINISH)

---Armory said my transaction broadcast timed out!---
First off, it's important to understand a bit about how Armory works underneath the hood. Armory pretends to be a "full node" in the eyes of Bitcoin Core. Armory queries Core for blocks and receives blocks as Core receives them. In addition, Armory sends transactions via Core. This is why Armory requires Core. In a sense, Armory acts as a high-security wrapper around Core.

When Armory sends a transaction to Core, a response is expected from Core. Armory has a timer and will throw up an error message if the timer expires. However, for various reasons, Core may not be able to beat the timer. Keep an eye for at least a minute on Armory's transaction list on Armory's splash screen. It is possible that Core will accept the transaction after the timer expires. If so, Armory will add the transaction to your transaction list.

If the transaction isn't accepted at all by Core, and you can't see the transaction on a [block explorer](https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/),

---I'm tired of Armory! I want out!!!---
If all else fails and you don't want to use Armory any more, you have a couple of options.

- If you can access your coins and don't mind a potential loss of privacy, you can just have all of the coins sent to an address controlled by an alternate wallet you wish to use.
- If you can't access your coins, you can export the private keys into a wallet you trust. (FINISH)

---Will Armory support Lightning?---
To be determined. (Caveat: I don't know goatpig's feelings, so the following is my opinion only for now.) Lightning is fascinating technology. Lightning also functions differently compared to Core. It may be possible for Armory to work with a Lightning node in a manner similar to a Core node. This way, Armory doesn't have to be redundant and re-implement various features required by the Lightning network.

In theory, Armory can already supply the coins for the initial channel opening, and an address for the channel closing. The coins may need to come from a SegWit wallet (CONFIRM) but channel openings & closing are simple Bitcoin transactions. If the Lightning nodes can talk to Armory, it may be possible to provide further functionality. If not, support in Armory is highly doubtful. There's also an open question regarding whether or not Armory can or should monitor the network for events that mandate a channel closing.

---Will Armory support Bitcoin Cash?---
Sort of. Armory does have the Cash signing algorithm and is, as of the beginning of 2018, able to send and receive coins on the Bitcoin Cash network. However, goatpig, the maintainer of Armory, has made it clear that his support of Cash on Armory is essentially limited to allowing users to move their coins to another wallet ASAP. Anybody expecting to use Armory with Cash long-term runs the risk of being unable to access their coins in the event of a fork (soft or hard) on the Cash network.

---How can I use Armory and Bitcoin Cash?---
[This forum thread](https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2070058.0) started by goatpig explains how to safely move your coins. If you've already used the UTXOs on the Core network (i.e., spent all the coins or moved all the coins to other addresses), you don't have to worry about [replay attacks](https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/a/61213). If you haven't, follow goatpig's directions for ensuring that you're not susceptible to replay attacks.

---Will Armory support Bitcoin Gold?---
Yes, but only to the same basic extent as Cash (i.e., users can move their coins to another wallet, preferably ASAP). The same basic directions for Cash apply here, although Gold has no replay attack protections and requires extra vigilance when moving coins.

---Will Armory support Scamcoin, the newest and MOST TOTALLY AMAZINGER BESTEST "airdrop" altcoin that forks off of Bitcoin Core's blockchain?---
Probably not. Never say never but diminishing returns means these coins are the virtual equivalent of [penny stocks](https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pennystock.asp), assuming they're not outright scams. It's simply not worth the time of the Armory devs to support the coins, especially if the coin devs can't be bothered to explain their changes to Armory devs. Patches for Armory may be submitted but there's no guarantee they'll be accepted, especially if they alter the GUI or make other fundamental changes to how Armory works.

---Will Armory support Ethereum?---
Probably not, but again, never say never. The answer would depend in large part on the amount of technical changes necessary in order to support the Ethereum network, along with the Ethereum network supporting Armory features whenever possible.

---Can I fork Armory? I want a version that supports an altcoin, adds features not meant for the mainline, etc.---
Sure. Armory is open source. As long as your project follows the appropriate licenses, do what you want! For example, there's a fork that [supports Namecoin](https://github.com/josephbisch/BitcoinArmory/tree/namecoin). Depending on the nature of your project, you're also welcome to submit patches.

---Will Armory add Random Feature X?---
Maybe? Devs work on what they want to work on. Want a feature? Write a patch and submit it.

---What's with the multiple web sites and repositories?---
Armory is now maintained as a community project by goatpig, a former developer at Armory Technologies, Inc. (the business entity that maintained Armory from 2013-2016). He has [a new repo](https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory) and [web site](https://btcarmory.com/). These are what should be considered the most up-to-date sources for Armory info and materials.

The [original Armory repo](https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory) is no longer maintained. It was created by Alan Reiner (Armory's founder) and is now considered abandoned, as Alan moved on in Feb. 2016. The [original web site](https://www.bitcoinarmory.com/) is the intellectual property of ATI and is maintained by principals at ATI. As of the beginning of 2018, the site carries only "major" releases (e.g., 0.96), and not "minor" updates (e.g., 0.96.1) that may contain important bug fixes and new features.

---I'm having a problem with Armory and want to talk to someone! Where should I go?---
[This page](https://btcarmory.com/contact/) should have the most up-to-date info. Devs may visit other sites (e.g., Reddit) or IRC channels but there are no guarantees.

Issues and patches may also be submitted on [goatpig's Armory repo](https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory). Note that the issues and patches aren't checked on a regular schedule. In addition, patch authors will almost certainly be asked to patch against a branch other than the master branch. If in doubt (and the patch is of sufficient quality), patch against the master branch, and you should be given further instructions later.
PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 04:04:27 PM

Looks good, droark.

I was going to fill in the "Why is Armory bugging me about backups" question, but tbh borrowing and paraphrasing etotheipi's pinned post would probably go a long way towards it?

Not really for the FAQ, but on the list of things that'd help reduce repetition in the forums:
As I understand it, goatpig has no control/access to the old Armory site? If so, need to shout loudly that btcarmory.com is the right one - still seeing a surprising amount of people grabbing 0.96.0 from the old site and then hop onto the forums when it doesn't work, and saying they have the "latest". I'd say a pinned thread for just that info but there are already quite a few. Unfortunately bitcoinarmory.com seems to be higher in the search rankings - More content might help that but a redirect from old -> new would have been ideal. I can't really help with python or C, but I can certainly volunteer to help with the website side of things.

In that vein, and again not necessarily a part of the main FAQ, but common troubleshooting information and some sort of support template thread that can be used to help users provide info when having problems e.g. Armory and Bitcoin version and (possibly) how to find the version numbers. OS version too, probably. How to find logs and where to upload them so devs can see them.
Stuff like that - sound sane? Smiley

droark (OP)

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2017, 08:30:59 AM

Not really for the FAQ, but on the list of things that'd help reduce repetition in the forums:
As I understand it, goatpig has no control/access to the old Armory site? If so, need to shout loudly that btcarmory.com is the right one - still seeing a surprising amount of people grabbing 0.96.0 from the old site and then hop onto the forums when it doesn't work, and saying they have the "latest". I'd say a pinned thread for just that info but there are already quite a few. Unfortunately bitcoinarmory.com seems to be higher in the search rankings - More content might help that but a redirect from old -> new would have been ideal. I can't really help with python or C, but I can certainly volunteer to help with the website side of things.

I wish things were that simple. My understanding is that the old site is going to be maintained, even if the maintainers insist on uploading only major versions. It's not my call. The best I can do is try to spread the word. I have some ideas regarding how to do that, but even then, I don't control goatpig's site (i.e., I can only do so much).

In that vein, and again not necessarily a part of the main FAQ, but common troubleshooting information and some sort of support template thread that can be used to help users provide info when having problems e.g. Armory and Bitcoin version and (possibly) how to find the version numbers. OS version too, probably. How to find logs and where to upload them so devs can see them.
Stuff like that - sound sane? Smiley

Yep! Sounds good. Smiley I'll add those when I can.
PhoenixFire

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:14:39 PM

I wish things were that simple. My understanding is that the old site is going to be maintained, even if the maintainers insist on uploading only major versions. It's not my call. The best I can do is try to spread the word. I have some ideas regarding how to do that, but even then, I don't control goatpig's site (i.e., I can only do so much).
That is a strange arrangement, but I guess it is what it is. Yeah, at the end of the day goatpig still needs to approve the PRs for the gh-pages branch too and of course that is at his discretion.
Thanks for the info and the FAQ Smiley
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 04:27:43 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2018, 08:38:51 AM by goatpig

That is a strange arrangement, but I guess it is what it is. Yeah, at the end of the day goatpig still needs to approve the PRs for the gh-pages branch too and of course that is at his discretion.
Thanks for the info and the FAQ Smiley

I don't really intent to moderate the gh-pages beyond the regular sanity checks. It's really intended as a community maintained page, expect me to be much laxer with PRs to that branch than any actual code branch.

PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:05:13 AM

I don't really intent to moderate the gh-pages beyond the regular sanity checks. It's really intended as a community maintained page, expected me to be much laxer with PRs to that branch than any actual code branch.
That is good to know, thanks.
Grabbed the repo and had a play around - I had some rather annoying issues getting Jekyll going, but I can't remember a time that ruby (with native gems) has been a smooth experience on Windows!

I'll see about making some PRs to give the site some TLC as a starting point.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:39:27 AM

Thanks for the help =)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: