Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:47:40 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Forbes Magazine calls Bitcoin a "Great Scam"  (Read 827 times)
Siopao

Activity: 182
Merit: 120

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:11:14 AM

The article didn't directly point out bitcoin as a scam. It just explained in detail how bitcoin attain its value in the market. It's quite a long read but it has very helpful information to explain bitcoin not in technical term.
munareal

Activity: 644
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:19:51 AM

The article did not call bitcoin a scam.What is said was that "At the outset, let me clarify that Bitcoin itself is not a scam, but how Bitcoin is being sold is a scam". It is a free world and we are all entitle to our opinions. As crypto users we believe in crypto currencies and it works for us. So let them say what ever .It will not make us change our mind.
J Gambler

Activity: 910
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:22:55 AM

I did not even bother reading the article because I have been hearing those words from the media and the people all around me almost everytime. It is important to really institute to ourselves that it is ip to us to educate people and not to just let this be

Y U MAD AT ME
btcmayumana

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:27:56 AM

Jay Adkisson worried about number. Of course talking about Bockchain and Bitcoin currency are both digital, which there is nothing physical value on it. But many people trust this and involve. That's why some other people whom hates Bitcoin are worried about their business will ruined by.
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:33:23 AM

Well, think that was a pretty accurate view of the current bitcon market.

Didn't  even have to mention the lack of scaling/fees to prove his point either.

Agree! Those who are blaiming the author, must read the article for 2-3 times.

"The scam in Bitcoin is in talking average man-on-the-street investors into investing in Bitcoin by intentionally obfuscating what it really is, just a number, into some super-sophisticated investment by throwing out the technical verbiage that surrounds cybercurrencies, such as Blockchain technology and peer-to-peer servers."

or

There is also an old investment adage to the effect that "the quickest way to lose money is to invest in something which is already hot."   The idea there is that the folks who are going to profit have already made their money investing, and now are just looking for suckers to unload their investment on.

If someone is not brainwashed or it's not part of the cult, called BTC, then he can easy understand the whole image. Smiley
Mjeramirez

Activity: 132
Merit: 11

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:51:27 AM

I think many people are not comfortable of the idea of change in the current monetary system, either they are mad because it will undermine their current business or they are just naive of the technology that is crypto currency. In the article, the author pointed out that BTC itself is not a scam but how it is used. I think this may have some point, should BTC really used as an investment platform like a company in the stockmarket, or should it be used to buy and sell products like an actual currency?

ajmapalo22

Activity: 266
Merit: 122

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:52:44 AM

For almost 2 decades now they still want to believe bitcoin is a scam? How come a currency become a scam when in fact you don't need to put any amount of capital for you to earn bitcoin? I started doing signatire campaigns and earn well from this forum and never did I use any of my personal money to invest in bitcoin whatever I earn from campaigns are the one I use in holding or investment so what's the scam there? I think these people really don't have the knowledge about bitcoin
konfuci

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:58:25 AM

Bro.  it's Jay Adkisson's Article and he clearly mentioned in his statement: let me clarify that Bitcoin itself is not a scam, but how Bitcoin is being sold is a scam. More about that below.

And above all that it's just an individual's point of view which does not make any great affect to Bitcoin.
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:58:42 AM

For almost 2 decades now they still want to believe bitcoin is a scam? How come a currency become a scam when in fact you don't need to put any amount of capital for you to earn bitcoin? I started doing signatire campaigns and earn well from this forum and never did I use any of my personal money to invest in bitcoin whatever I earn from campaigns are the one I use in holding or investment so what's the scam there? I think these people really don't have the knowledge about bitcoin

you should read the article again... Smiley
Images21

Activity: 567
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 12:02:12 PM

Forbes Magazine is getting a lot cheaper these days. Forbes is not anymore a reliable source of world financial information and news because it seems it has become a paid publication. This is not a neutral magazine after all. They are publishing sponsored news and articles that are not actually objective analyses and reports of events and developments around the world. They are even publishing certain crypto projects and ICOs that ended up shit.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
HasHe

Activity: 952
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 12:18:39 PM

As already said in the beginning of the article,Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own and so,it is not the official stand of Forbes itself.

Every one have different level of understanding about a new concept and the author has just understood to the level that bitcoin is just a number for which one agrees to pay a high value and accepts it has high value.

Bitcoin has already proved itself clearly and even the wall street companies which once criticized bitcoin have started to enter bitcoin market,we no more need to have to discuss about the reviews of either warren buffet or such author of forbes.

We could say that bitcoin is far better than USD as a currency being free from inflation and assuring its holders that it would not be devalued by any of the governments at any time.

Bitcoin,the safe haven for the victims of government's inflationary currencies.

Lingqingyi

Activity: 168

Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 12:42:32 PM

When they don't know bitcoin, but the price of bitcoin keeps rising, they wonder whether bitcoin is a hoax, but it's stupid.

ORVIUM        Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain        ORVIUM
█    Whitepaper        Telegram        Twitter        Facebook        Reddit        Blog    █
▇▆▅▃▃▃▃▃▃   Token Generation Event: Coming Soon   ▃▃▃▃▃▃▅▆▇
willnotwas

Activity: 286

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 12:50:00 PM

People just scared of changes. Like with all this yesterday Segwit2X situation. Good fork with strong technology background, but there is so much dirt around
francesyrus

Activity: 616
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 12:56:40 PM

Nothing new to the news about bitcoin being a scam thing. Many says bitcoin is a scam but many are still interested investing on bitcoin.

Maybe there are some people that being scammed by scammers using bitcoin, like in investing or doubling up bitcoin in an easy way.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 01:10:30 PM

I clicked on the link and this is what he said
"At the outset, let me clarify that Bitcoin itself is not a scam, but how Bitcoin is being sold is a scam"
Lets not misquote what is said in the magazine. I am absolutely sure some will leave comments here without finding out what is said.

He's hardly misquoting what the article said. The title of the very article is "The Great Bitcoin Scam" regardless, but it's obviously just an alarmist attention grabbing headline done just for clicks/views. His entire argument seems to be resting on that "Bitcoin has no intrinsic value -- it is just a number" and that anybody else can create a bitcoin so therefore it's a scam. Whilst it's certainly true that anyone can create a coin as many people (or scammers) do, I think it's far more likely that one of those sorts of coins will turn out to be a scam more than bitcoin will. Also, even if an alt coin does take over bitcoin in terms of market cap or dominance that still wouldn't make bitcoin a scam.

Some quotes from the article:

This means that an investment in Bitcoins is purely speculative -- it is utterly no different than investing in gold, social-media stocks, or tulip bulbs. So long as the number of buyers outnumbers the sellers, the price will go up, but when the sellers outnumber the buyers the price will go down.

Yeah... no shit.

All of this brings us to the scam element of Bitcoin. Again, as I stated at the start of this article, Bitcoin itself is not a scam. Now let me tell you what is.

The scam in Bitcoin is in talking average man-on-the-street investors into investing in Bitcoin by intentionally obfuscating what it really is, just a number, into some super-sophisticated investment by throwing out the technical verbiage that surrounds cybercurrencies, such as Blockchain technology and peer-to-peer servers. These technologies actually accomplish only one critical thing, which is that they keep particular numbers peculiar to Bitcoin, but they sure sound like Star Trek level stuff. Yet, to those not familiar with these technologies, it makes Bitcoin sounds like it has a lot more worth than it really does.

Well that doesn't make bitcoin a scam (if in fact people are doing this) nor does bitcoin being just a number.

Will Bitcoin fall? Maybe not today, tomorrow, or next week, but eventually it will fall as the novelty wears off and folks figure out that they are really just buying a number, and the number of buyers diminish.

Bitcoin always falls. Then it goes up again. Rinse and repeat. This is no different than buying stocks or shares of a particular company but we're not calling Netflix or Facebook a scam. Maybe the novelty will wear off for some and the price will fall but there is no guarantee either way. I think bitcoin is here to stay for at least the next few years so the only question you should be asking yourself is do you believe in it and are you willing to invest it it. If so, just remember to only put in what you can afford to lose and enjoy the ride.

Will Bitcoin go away entirely? Probably not, because Bitcoin still can serve some usefulness as a unit of exchange, to the extent that it can convince merchants to accept it as currency. The caveat here is that when a bubble finally bursts, the object of the bubble usually falls into deep disrepute.

Oh, so now he's thinks it isn't going to go away and has value as a unit of exchange. Not sure what the point of this article is. As others have said, maybe he just didn't buy in early and now rues the missed opportunity.
Cazemiro

Activity: 252
Merit: 31

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 01:15:53 PM

The technology is so new, that made scare the people. The time will make the BTC, and put it in the right place.
roos

Activity: 157
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 01:17:51 PM

Same old story all over.
If they find bitcoin a scam for these reasons,
then they should have a closer look at stock markets.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
jeronimosuykens

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 01:19:24 PM

I think the writer of the article has a one-sided look at bitcoin. While many industries are adopting blockchain technology and typically bitcoin, the leading economics magazine claims that bitcoin is a scam. I do not think that a scam like bitcoin can last for so many years, I feel that the newspaper is quite funny when it comes to that.
treer123

Activity: 23
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 03:23:05 PM

The Winklevoss twins don't agree with the author, so who is right?
Who should we believe?
Glutius

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 03:27:23 PM

Forbes magazine itself carries scandalous themes. First of all, we must remember that the whole news background could always be bought. When the Crypto currency is falling, the news corresponds to these events and just the opposite. So do not believe all the news.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: