Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:23:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Desperate for help with stuck transaction  (Read 151 times)
alma58 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 03:29:46 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2017, 05:19:41 PM by alma58

Hi everyone,
I've been into bitcoin since 2013 when I bought some for around $500. I had another (now forgotten) username here and I used to read this site a lot, but my computer crashed in 2014. Right before it became unusable, I was able to save the wallet file from Bitcoin QT to a usb. After that, I just kept the wallet file on the usb and never again downloaded the client because I didn't feel like taking up a bunch of space on my new hard drive. Besides, around that time in 2014, bitcoin had crashed from its ATH, so I didn't have much incentive to access my bitcoins again.

So I sort of fell ass-backwards into hodling to this day. It was only this month that I decided to redownload the Bitcoin Core client, replace the wallet.dat file with my old one, and sync the blockchain. It took almost 2 weeks. During that time, I even bought a little more bitcoin and a Ledger Nano S. Finally, after the blockchain finished downloading, I sent some bitcoins to another wallet from Bitcoin Core. Even though I've been holding for a long time, I am still a newbie to the fee structure in the wake of a clogged mempool. I sent three transactions to GDAX, but the transactions stayed in the mempool for a few days with 0 confirmations. I double-checked my fees and realized they weren't high enough. So I came to this site and researched how to clear/abandon the transactions. That seemed to work, and the transactions now list as abandoned and not in the mempool in my Bitcoin Core transaction list. Right after that, I sent one transaction to GDAX again, but this time with a higher fee (about $100, which is what Bitcoin Core recommended for confirmation within 4 hours). Yet, the transaction has been stuck for a whole day and I'm worried it will stay that way because of the previous transactions.

Two problems: First, the new transaction says it's in the mempool, but it never said it had broadcast to nodes. Second, when I try to push/rebroadcast the transaction from blockchain.info, I get the following message: "Validation Error: BitcoindException(super=com.neemre.btcdcli4j.core.BitcoindException: Error #-26: 18: txn-mempool-conflict, code=-26)"

After a bit of research, it seems that this means the mempool still thinks my previous transactions are waiting for confirmations, even though my client side says they've been abandoned and are not in the mempool. Is anyone able to help me figure out how to get this transaction through? I need to take some profits off the table for my family before the new year and I can't believe it's such a hassle. I just remembered how fast (and relatively free) it was in 2013 to send these bitcoins around. I realize my lack of expertise is playing a major role here, but can anyone give me some advice on what to do?

The transaction ID is 4844ad44b267d91602e94fa3f0ab4d1ad285b49b557bd1685fa2520c8a8fde55, but of course that's not even showing up in the block explorer.

Thanks so much for any time you can take for a response!

EDIT FOR ADDITIONAL CLARITY: Both transactions (the one I abandoned and the new one from yesterday) came from three of my addresses:
https://blockchain.info/address/1MsPyunKmQz2GTqf8YHXFTrKAo6RgYiQM1
https://blockchain.info/address/1CfVGyz3kjMVMqYG3JXHbt3mCZY7s4m9P
https://blockchain.info/address/17ghwMzzSpbLpGxWdAgzDdzGWAwbZMJgxW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
skorms

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 04:50:11 PM

Since the TX is not found we can not take a look at it... it would be more helpful if you could share your BTC address
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 08:52:16 PM

Yes, blockchain.info rejected your new tx because the old txs still exist in the mempool
and your new tx will be treated as double spend because it uses inputs that was spent in old txs (even still unconfirmed)
try to manually broadcast/push your tx to a node that has dropped your old txs
push it here https://insight.bitpay.com/tx/send

alma58 (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 09:11:05 PM

Thanks for that suggestion! I entered the raw tx hash into the box on that page and it says:
"Transaction succesfully broadcast. Transaction id: 4844ad44b267d91602e94fa3f0ab4d1ad285b49b557bd1685fa2520c8a8fde55"

Please forgive my ignorance, but what happens next? When I check that tx id on a block explorer, it still says that it can't be found.
Thirdspace

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:55:30 PM

Thanks for that suggestion! I entered the raw tx hash into the box on that page and it says:
"Transaction succesfully broadcast. Transaction id: 4844ad44b267d91602e94fa3f0ab4d1ad285b49b557bd1685fa2520c8a8fde55"

Please forgive my ignorance, but what happens next? When I check that tx id on a block explorer, it still says that it can't be found.

now you just wait until it gets confirmed.
if you can push it to other nodes, it should help the propagation of your tx on the network
and just hope it gets picked up and included in the block by one of the mining pools
did you use all clean confirmed inputs for this new transaction?

alma58 (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 12:10:36 AM

now you just wait until it gets confirmed.
if you can push it to other nodes, it should help the propagation of your tx on the network
and just hope it gets picked up and included in the block by one of the mining pools
did you use all clean confirmed inputs for this new transaction?

To be honest, I don't know how to tell whether I used clean confirmed inputs. I don't know what that means. (Again, my ignorance of the technical side of blockchain is showing.)

I am also interested to hear how I can try to push it to other nodes. Thanks for taking time for this!
Anonymous619

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 12:13:42 AM

Hi everyone,
I've been into bitcoin since 2013 when I bought some for around $500. I had another (now forgotten) username here and I used to read this site a lot, but my computer crashed in 2014. Right before it became unusable, I was able to save the wallet file from Bitcoin QT to a usb. After that, I just kept the wallet file on the usb and never again downloaded the client because I didn't feel like taking up a bunch of space on my new hard drive. Besides, around that time in 2014, bitcoin had crashed from its ATH, so I didn't have much incentive to access my bitcoins again.

So I sort of fell ass-backwards into hodling to this day. It was only this month that I decided to redownload the Bitcoin Core client, replace the wallet.dat file with my old one, and sync the blockchain. It took almost 2 weeks. During that time, I even bought a little more bitcoin and a Ledger Nano S. Finally, after the blockchain finished downloading, I sent some bitcoins to another wallet from Bitcoin Core. Even though I've been holding for a long time, I am still a newbie to the fee structure in the wake of a clogged mempool. I sent three transactions to GDAX, but the transactions stayed in the mempool for a few days with 0 confirmations. I double-checked my fees and realized they weren't high enough. So I came to this site and researched how to clear/abandon the transactions. That seemed to work, and the transactions now list as abandoned and not in the mempool in my Bitcoin Core transaction list. Right after that, I sent one transaction to GDAX again, but this time with a higher fee (about $100, which is what Bitcoin Core recommended for confirmation within 4 hours). Yet, the transaction has been stuck for a whole day and I'm worried it will stay that way because of the previous transactions.

Two problems: First, the new transaction says it's in the mempool, but it never said it had broadcast to nodes. Second, when I try to push/rebroadcast the transaction from blockchain.info, I get the following message: "Validation Error: BitcoindException(super=com.neemre.btcdcli4j.core.BitcoindException: Error #-26: 18: txn-mempool-conflict, code=-26)"

After a bit of research, it seems that this means the mempool still thinks my previous transactions are waiting for confirmations, even though my client side says they've been abandoned and are not in the mempool. Is anyone able to help me figure out how to get this transaction through? I need to take some profits off the table for my family before the new year and I can't believe it's such a hassle. I just remembered how fast (and relatively free) it was in 2013 to send these bitcoins around. I realize my lack of expertise is playing a major role here, but can anyone give me some advice on what to do?

The transaction ID is 4844ad44b267d91602e94fa3f0ab4d1ad285b49b557bd1685fa2520c8a8fde55, but of course that's not even showing up in the block explorer.

Thanks so much for any time you can take for a response!

EDIT FOR ADDITIONAL CLARITY: Both transactions (the one I abandoned and the new one from yesterday) came from three of my addresses:
https://blockchain.info/address/1MsPyunKmQz2GTqf8YHXFTrKAo6RgYiQM1
https://blockchain.info/address/1CfVGyz3kjMVMqYG3JXHbt3mCZY7s4m9P
https://blockchain.info/address/17ghwMzzSpbLpGxWdAgzDdzGWAwbZMJgxW

Maybe i can help you to push it. I will try Thanks

Bitcoin Transactions Accelerator
alma58 (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 12:33:58 AM

Maybe i can help you to push it. I will try Thanks

Thank you so much!
Thirdspace

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 12:48:35 AM

To be honest, I don't know how to tell whether I used clean confirmed inputs. I don't know what that means. (Again, my ignorance of the technical side of blockchain is showing.)

I am also interested to hear how I can try to push it to other nodes. Thanks for taking time for this!

I checked, it seems your inputs are all (confirmed) inputs from your old stuck txs
I pushed it to one more node but most nodes rejected it because your old txs still exist in their mempool
just wait out, soon most nodes will drop your old txs and will pick up this new tx
then eventually (and hopefully) with 220s/B your tx will get confirmed  Wink

alma58 (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 01:39:56 AM

I checked, it seems your inputs are all (confirmed) inputs from your old stuck txs
I pushed it to one more node but most nodes rejected it because your old txs still exist in their mempool
just wait out, soon most nodes will drop your old txs and will pick up this new tx
then eventually (and hopefully) with 220s/B your tx will get confirmed  Wink

Just out of curiosity, how long should I wait before trying to abandon this latest transaction and resend it with even higher fees. I don't want to keep doing that, but as I said, I would really like to get some of my bitcoin on the exchange before the end of the tax year. I wish I had sent it with more sats/b, but that's what Core recommended, so I went with it.

Thanks again for your help, Thirdspace!

Thirdspace

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:33:47 AM

Just out of curiosity, how long should I wait before trying to abandon this latest transaction and resend it with even higher fees.
I just checked bitpay explorer and your new tx is no longer there Lips sealed
it was there a few hours ago, it's seems bitpay dropped it for some reasons
I guess you need to wait until majority nodes on the network dropped it before you broadcast your new tx
or at least dropped by the top 3 miners and then you push it to those miners nodes
(lets see if I can push it back again)

alma58 (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 01:34:44 PM

Good news! Whatever you did worked, because the new transaction has successfully completed. Thanks again!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: