Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:26:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need good linux OS for mining  (Read 539 times)
davidwillis (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:18:59 PM

Hi,
What are some good linux OS's for mining.  I need one for amd (msi rx580 armor 8gb)and for nvidia (msi gtx 1070).  I have one of my gtx 1070 rigs running fine on xubuntu, so I can use that for the other ones if I need to.  However I can't get my rx580's to work in linux.

With Xubuntu, I get 16mh/s (one time I was able to get 22mh/s, but I don't remember what I did).  On windows 10 I get 30mh/s

Currently I have tried SMOS, but for the life of me I cannot get my hashrate above 15mh/s, I even tried several bios mods, and all kinds of timings, but nothing worked.  I also just tried rxoc, but I can't get it to boot up.  I get stuck at the login screen in a loop.

I would like something simple, already setup, but if I have to, I can install xubuntu or whatever, and go from there.

Here is what I used for xubuntu:
1- install xubuntu 16.04

2- update sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade

3- setup vnc

sudo apt-get install vino vino-preferences xfce4-session-settings -enable desktop sharing at boot

set static ip

reboot

4- amd driver
Install version 17.40 of the AMDGPU-PRO Linux Drivers:

$ cd /opt $ Download block chain driver sudo wget --referer=http://support.amd.com https://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ubuntu/amdgpu-pro-17.40-492261.tar.xz $ sudo tar -Jxvf amdgpu-pro* $ cd amd* $ ./amdgpu-pro-install -y
Check if your user is already part of the 'video' group

$ groups
IF not, run the below

$ sudo usermod -a -G video $LOGNAME $ sudo reboot

$ sudo wget -qO - http://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/rocm.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add - $ sudo sh -c 'echo deb [arch=amd64] http://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/ xenial main > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list' $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install rocm-opencl-dev
Edit grub

$ sudo nano /etc/default/grub
2MB fragments for Ellesmere are enabled with a grub option:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amdgpu.vm_fragment_size=9"

$ sudo update-grub $ sudo reboot

After installing claymore 10.2 I can only get 16Mh/s

I have flashed my bios and set the overclocking in the bios to 1125 core and 2160 memory.  I could get up to 31mh/s with the memory at 2180, but after a day or so it would crash, so I backed it down to 2160.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
papampi

Activity: 686
Merit: 140

Linux FOREVER! Resistance is futile!!!

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2017, 05:26:38 PM

Have you tried nvOC easy-to-use Linux Nvidia Mining fot your nvidia cards?

Try our latest community release.
No dev-fee, donation fee, ...

davidwillis (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:22:43 PM

Thanks.  I have not tried it yet, but it looks good, and I am confident it will work good on my nvidia cards (they seem to work good in linux).  My biggest concern is getting linux to work on my amd cards.  I have a rig that I want to put 12 rx 580's on, but had to split it up into half nvidia and half amd and run windows on it (I guess windows can't run 12 of the same cards).  If I can get linux to work with the amd cards, I will put them all on that one rig, then setup 2 rigs (6 nvidia each) with nvoc.

So I guess I am saying my first step is to get the 12 rx rig working in linux if that is possible.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 09:50:36 PM

Most LINUX mining software specifically supports Ubuntu and it's offspring, like XUbuntu (my usual flavor) and pretty much ALL of the "mining-specific" distributions like nvOC.

Windows drivers are a lot more limited on how many cards they can support, though AMD supposedly is adding or recently added support for up to 12 cards on one machine under Windows.

LINUX ... I'm not sure if LINUX drivers HAVE a cards limit, other than "how many cards can I get physically attached to the machine and working".

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
davidwillis (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:26:14 PM

which one is the latest community build?  nvOC_v0019
Tigel

Activity: 66

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:44:08 PM

Have you tried nvOC easy-to-use Linux Nvidia Mining fot your nvidia cards?

Try our latest community release.
No dev-fee, donation fee, ...

My vote for nvOC, easy to deploy and actively developed. Requires text editing capabilities and basic Linux understanding does not hurt.. But then, on the other had you requested linux OS. Smiley
Though, nvOC is for NVidia cards, I am not sure how p to date the rxOC is.

--
Tigel
davidwillis (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 02:27:06 AM

I am downloading it now...  nvOC_v0019-1.9 pxa edition.  Hopefully that is the one to get..
davidwillis (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 08:53:38 PM

The download keeps failing...  I guess I will try Version v0019-1.4
twofreckles

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 08:56:41 PM

I can suggest SimpleMining OS. It really does work and although there is a slow down with developing I am pretty sure they will correct it in near future.

davidwillis (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 11:50:09 PM

simpleminingos is nice.  The problem I ran into (and this is with every version of linux I have tried) is that my amd cards run at 1/2 the speed as they do in windows.  I spent about 5 hours on the chat group with someone trying to get it tow work with no luck.
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 12:56:39 AM

I've got a few posts on my blog about mining with Ubuntu and AMDGPU-Pro.
http://nerdralph.blogspot.ca/2017/12/mining-with-amdgpu-pro-1740-on-linux.html

I've got 2 rigs with Tonga & Polaris cards running Ubuntu 16.04.2, and another rig with Pitcairn cards that still runs 14.04 and fglrx.
davidwillis (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 06:25:35 AM

Thanks nerdralph

I am not seeing much that you did in your blog that I have not tried, other than using the --px option when installing.  I wish you gave a little more detail, like every step, with commands (like I did in my first post).  Then I could duplicate exactly what you did and it may work for me. 

I am beginning to come to the conclusion that these cards just don't run correctly with the current linux drivers, and I will need to stick to windows.

It is really strange that I can run an almost identical card just fine (powercolor red devil rx580 8gb works just fine).  But the msi rx580 8gb does not.
Bimmber

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 07:33:50 AM

EthOS
HiveOS
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 04:16:15 PM

Thanks nerdralph

I am not seeing much that you did in your blog that I have not tried, other than using the --px option when installing.  I wish you gave a little more detail, like every step, with commands (like I did in my first post).  Then I could duplicate exactly what you did and it may work for me.  

I am beginning to come to the conclusion that these cards just don't run correctly with the current linux drivers, and I will need to stick to windows.

It is really strange that I can run an almost identical card just fine (powercolor red devil rx580 8gb works just fine).  But the msi rx580 8gb does not.

I prefer not to duplicate the information in the AMDGPU-Pro release notes, and just link to it instead.  If you haven't tried upgrading your kernel, I'd do that too.  Renaud posted in the comments with a nice script for downloading and installing updated kernels.
http://nerdralph.blogspot.ca/2017/03/amdgpu-pro-1660-on-ubuntu-kernel-4105.html

For some debugging tips, see what you get when you run "dmesg | grep amdgpu" and "dmesg | grep BIOS".
rocm-smi is also very helpful for checking on your cards.
davidwillis (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 04:24:33 PM

Thanks Bimmber.  I have not heard of Hive.  I will give it a try!

Nerdralph,   Thanks.  I have tried upgrading the kernel, but it did not help.  I will try the debuging you suggest.
twofreckles

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 08:18:02 AM

EthOS
HiveOS

There is also another one joining. If I'm not mistaken the name is easymine? It was an ico some time ago, and they just released beta last week or something.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: