Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:57:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-08-01 NY Times - Virtual Currency Gains Ground in Actual World  (Read 964 times)
kiko (OP)

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 07:18:55 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/01/technology/personaltech/virtual-currency-gains-ground-in-actual-world.html

A Positive piece worth reading. No quotes we haven't seen before, but the tone is very upbeat. Go help bump it up their most-read list.

Edit:
There are no iOS bitcoin wallet apps and Apple did not respond to e-mails seeking an explanation.

I love that the NY Times is leaning on Apple to explain their bitcoin fatwa.
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 08:25:04 PM

Isn't Gliph an iPhone App that has Bitcoin support?

https://gli.ph/
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:58:00 PM

I was intrigued at this little smear inside the piece, quoted in its entirety (bolding mine):

“The way the basic bitcoin system works is both incredibly solid and incredibly clever from a technical standpoint,” said Nicholas Weaver, senior staff researcher at the International Computer Science Institute in Berkeley, which studies and advances a range of emerging technologies. “The system’s security is fragile, however, and the economic model behind bitcoin is, well, crazy stupid.

So of course I looked up Weaver, as I had never heard of him. It turns out he's a computer scientist with no creds that I can find in economics. However, he is the author of this curiously-titled article in Wired:

"Hear Ye, Future Deep Throats: This Is How to Leak to the Press"

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/05/listen-up-future-deep-throats-this-is-how-to-leak-to-the-press-today/

Fascinating.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 09:46:38 AM

The system’s security is fragile, however, and the economic model behind bitcoin is, well, crazy stupid.

How can this man even makes claims to be a computer scientist? I've never once lost money using Bitcoin, either due to the "fragile security" or the "crazy stupid economic model". The precise opposite, in fact: the security features have convincingly kept my money safe, and the economic model has made my money more valuable. He's an expert shill, or an expert idiot.

Vires in numeris
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 11:26:06 AM

The system’s security is fragile, however, and the economic model behind bitcoin is, well, crazy stupid.

How can this man even makes claims to be a computer scientist? I've never once lost money using Bitcoin, either due to the "fragile security" or the "crazy stupid economic model". The precise opposite, in fact: the security features have convincingly kept my money safe, and the economic model has made my money more valuable. He's an expert shill, or an expert idiot.

This puzzles me too. Sound bites like "crazy stupid" and "fragile security" are simply infantile and ignorant.

I have spent many years in IT, but not using c++ such that I can trawl through the Bitcoin code and understand it all, let alone pick holes in it. However, I have read around the edges, the wikis, github, dev blogs, code snippets, pull requests and dev comments. This, plus the fact that the software has run in the field, under duress, for 4.5 years means that I have a high degree of confidence about Bitcoin's integrity and potential extreme longevity.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: