Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:40:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DATA - Authority or Association?  (Read 5483 times)
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 11:13:37 PM

Accept bitcoin!
Razick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 12:32:57 PM

Accept bitcoin!

I do!  Wink TxT is the first (and I think only) paintball store to accept Bitcoin.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 02:45:37 PM

Awesome. What percentage of your clients use it?  Do you offer a discount as an incentive?  Curious to know as ill be implement bitcoin payment options soon on a few website I administer.
nameface

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 09:19:47 PM

The D.A.T.A. founders chose not to use "Association" because they did not want to be seen as a "trade association", "Agency" was too formal and structured so they settled on "Authority" (with the Latin connotation not necessary the modern English connotation).
Cheers. Thanks for posting. It's funny how no matter what they chose (assoc, agency, authority) they could've kept the same kickass acronym Smiley
Razick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 01:14:30 AM

Awesome. What percentage of your clients use it?  Do you offer a discount as an incentive?  Curious to know as ill be implement bitcoin payment options soon on a few website I administer.

Well, I just reopened after having some issue and spending some time getting making sure everything was legal, so I've only had one sale, but it was paid for with Bitcoin.

I don't offer any discounts over cash because I charge the MAP (minimum allowed price) on all items, so charging less would cause problems.

Even if I never get another BTC sale, it's worth it, it took 5 minutes to set up BitPay so who cares?

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 05:18:28 AM

The Bitcoin Identity
The Bitcoin Supremacy
The Bitcoin Ultimatum
The Bitcoin Legacy
The Bitcoin Redundancy

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 05:38:41 AM

It's a shame that they didn't go with Association. Sooo many lulzy DAT Ass jokes to be had.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
nameface

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 06:20:06 AM

The Bitcoin Identity
The Bitcoin Supremacy
The Bitcoin Ultimatum
The Bitcoin Legacy
The Bitcoin Redundancy
The Bitcoin Ubiquity!
Ryan_Singer

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:12:17 PM

The D.A.T.A. founders chose not to use "Association" because they did not want to be seen as a "trade association", "Agency" was too formal and structured so they settled on "Authority" (with the Latin connotation not necessary the modern English connotation).
Cheers. Thanks for posting. It's funny how no matter what they chose (assoc, agency, authority) they could've kept the same kickass acronym Smiley

Agency would have been good, too.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 11:45:57 AM

Bitcoin ADvocay ASSociation ?

Loozik

Activity: 378

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 12:05:28 PM

Bitcoin ADvocay ASSociation ?

Grin
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 12:57:30 PM

Innovation does not happen by being compliant to corrupt and inefficient governmental structures.
Bitcoin is a worldwide currency and not an US company. Regulatory problems will be solved by mere competition between countries: Smart ones will be more liberal and in turn will attract more Bitcoin investments.

It is dumb to do ass-licking in support of unhealthy governmental structures. Better do nothing and watch the system break (which will happen in a few years given the present state of the world and esp. US economy). Only then people will be open to true innovation.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 01:27:24 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2013, 09:49:42 PM by Coinseeker

This has nothing to with whether people are open to "true" innovation.  Innovation is great but some of us would like to do business without having our bank accounts seized and end up doing federal prison time, all for the sake of "true" innovation.

I've recently stated that I think it's too early and there is not enough information yet available to make a determination as to whether this organization will be part of the solution or part of the problem.  That said, ignoring US regulatory requirements is a nonstarter for anyone serious about the future of Bitcoin and crypto as a whole.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:30:54 PM

Innovation does not happen by being compliant to corrupt and inefficient governmental structures.
Bitcoin is a worldwide currency and not an US company. Regulatory problems will be solved by mere competition between countries: Smart ones will be more liberal and in turn will attract more Bitcoin investments.

It is dumb to do ass-licking in support of unhealthy governmental structures. Better do nothing and watch the system break (which will happen in a few years given the present state of the world and esp. US economy). Only then people will be open to true innovation.

ya.ya.yo!

yayayo,

Ask Doug Jackson an early innovator in gold-backed digital currency how ignoring existing regulation worked out for him.
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11528
E-Gold pleads guilty to money laundering

Ask Aurther Budovsky of Liberty Reserve how ignoring government laws and regulations worked out for him
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/28/liberty-reserve-arthur-budovsky-arrested-spain
Liberty Reserve founder arrested in Spain
Arthur Budovsky, who set up digital currency business, is held as part of money-laundering investigation involving US

You clearly have an opinion of US law and regulation and that's fine.  So maybe it's time you renounce your citizenship and stop availing yourself of all the government subsidies you are unknowingly taking advantage of as a US citizen.

Then you can go to the country of your choice and choose whether or not to obey those laws.

Makes sense to me.

You can sit back and post complaints on an internet message board.

Fortunately there are groups of individual who are making an attempt to solve these problems.

joecooin

Activity: 359

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 07:51:31 PM

Ask Doug Jackson an early innovator in gold-backed digital currency how ignoring existing regulation worked out for him.

Ask Aurther Budovsky of Liberty Reserve how ignoring government laws and regulations worked out for him

Now ask Satoshi Nakamoto how much he cares.

Fortunately there are groups of individual who are making an attempt to solve these problems.

Unfortunately for these groups you cannot solve the problems we created by having everything regulated by our elites by trying to regulate the unregulatable solution.

Bitcoin and the fact that it is unregulated _is_ the solution to our regulated problems. To want to have Bitcoin regulated as a society is like asking the doctor what one can do to keep that tumor in one's brain as an individual. Or how one could alter the chemo therapy so it doesn't work.

With all due respect, I find this approach absurd.

Joe

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 08:50:08 PM

If you can find Satoshi and get a comment I'd love to hear it.

I'm sure the respect is appreciated even though you find the effort absurd.

Carry on!

Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 10:04:40 PM

...by trying to regulate the unregulatable solution.

Bitcoin and the fact that it is unregulated _is_ the solution to our regulated problems...

Grin. I didn't know there were people who still believed in this fantasy.  You must have been gone awhile.  It is a good dream but like most dreams, does not line up with reality.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 07:06:33 AM

The only thing they can try to regulate and regiment is human behavior, which has been wildly successful given the control over culture that they have enjoyed for decades. Now, not so much.

I'm announcing a new organizational effort to combat this latest tyrannical regime threatening the bitcoin revolution.

Transactions Against Despotic Authority

To participate, simply send bitcoins to one of my wallet addresses. The overwhelming number of transactions will indicate such widespread dissent that DATA will have no choice but to concede defeat.

It will be like magic.

TADA!

yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 01:32:15 PM

...by trying to regulate the unregulatable solution.

Bitcoin and the fact that it is unregulated _is_ the solution to our regulated problems...

Grin. I didn't know there were people who still believed in this fantasy.  You must have been gone awhile.  It is a good dream but like most dreams, does not line up with reality.

This dream is true for Bitcoin.

It is not true for the centralized closed-source currency-scheme called "Ripple" that you are supporting. Ripple has to face the harsh reality of US regulatory overkill, so it's quite understandable that they do ass-licking and propagate "self-regulation". That's why they joined the D.A.T.A. as the jester-in-chief.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 01:44:19 PM

SRO's are part and parcel of every industry. Think American Bar Association, American Board of Radiology, etc...most likely, these organizations (including DATA) will have only indirect influence in your life.

Most likely, but it is because of PCI's pain in the ass requirements that TxT Paintball does not accept credit cards.

I don't understand. ?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: