Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:10:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SENS foundation joins those who won't take bitcoins for vague reasons  (Read 2888 times)
Gareth Nelson (OP)

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 08:12:01 PM

Hi Gareth,

I've dug into records and consulted colleagues, and it's not looking good on this after all. We had an enquiry about bitcoin in January, which led us to explore options quite thoroughly, and the conclusion from my admin people was that we shouldn't do it - it is too volatile and insecure. I presume that anyone who deals in bitcoin themselves can accept it and donate the equivalent amount to whomever they choose in regular USD, but I don't know whether that fits the way you do your fundraiser - I'm guessing it probably doesn't.

Sorry to be rather useless on this one!

Cheers, Aubrey

My birthday is coming up (4th of august) and I intended to run a fundraiser for SENS (aging research) for it, including looking for donations via bitcoin, I advised looking at someone like bitpay to arrange the details but it seems that someone in the organisation has gotten the impression bitcoin is somehow insecure.

Anyone got any ideas?
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 08:18:07 PM

Yes.  Bitpay.com does all the work for them. No exchange rate risk. No complex work. Lower fees then credit cards and paypal. If they are a non profit it might even be free.

Gareth Nelson (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 08:22:34 PM

Yes.  Bitpay.com does all the work for them. No exchange rate risk. No complex work. Lower fees then credit cards and paypal. If they are a non profit it might even be free.

Already suggested that, the funny thing is they take paypal but are worried about security when taking bitcoin.

Anyone could pay via paypal and then dispute it or do a credit card chargeback - wonder where the "bitcoin is insecure" idea came from.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3234

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 08:32:33 PM

There are also the issues that charities are heavily regulated, and that they are very dependent on government grants. It is not surprising that they are spooked by Bitcoin.

One way to counter their objections is to show them that they are turning down a large amount of money.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 08:45:40 PM

Already suggested that, the funny thing is they take paypal but are worried about security when taking bitcoin.

Anyone could pay via paypal and then dispute it or do a credit card chargeback - wonder where the "bitcoin is insecure" idea came from.
Then they need to be educated.  Bitpay is safer than paypal.  There are no security issues I know of for a simple bitpay donate button. Paypal can be charged back and even worse if your account info gets stolen money can be DRAWN out of your checking account.  Bitpay has no option to remove money from a checking account, they are one way and that is money IN.

Gareth Nelson (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 08:54:50 PM

Just had a reply back from Aubrey De Grey saying he'll look into it via bitpay Smiley

I'll post here if they set something up (my original plan anyway)
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:03:02 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2013, 09:17:22 PM by Kris

You could suggest BIPS, have them look at the new Merchant page overview: https://bips.me/merchants

And happy birthday if I don't catch you on 4th of august.
Gareth Nelson (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:08:41 PM

Bitpay are a bit more established
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:10:23 PM

Bitpay are a bit more established

Probably for the best if in the US.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 10:19:44 PM

To me it seems they just don't want bitcoins, not that they are looking for a way to accept them. Well, i suppose it is time for jokes about aging and understanding new technologies, am i right?  Cheesy

Gareth Nelson (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 10:25:27 PM

To me it seems they just don't want bitcoins, not that they are looking for a way to accept them. Well, i suppose it is time for jokes about aging and understanding new technologies, am i right?  Cheesy

It sounds like the idea has been proposed before but someone in their team was unsure and scared - looks like he with the beard (seriously - google aubrey de grey's beard - it's heroic) has decided to investigate again though.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 11:02:38 PM

It sounds like the idea has been proposed before but someone in their team was unsure and scared - looks like he with the beard (seriously - google aubrey de grey's beard - it's heroic) has decided to investigate again though.

I know Aubrey very well. I will explain its benefits to him and see if he will reconsider. If the SENS Foundation had started accepting BTC donations in January then they would be sitting on a 700% gain today!

Gareth Nelson (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 11:20:23 PM

I know Aubrey very well. I will explain its benefits to him and see if he will reconsider. If the SENS Foundation had started accepting BTC donations in January then they would be sitting on a 700% gain today!

Good man Smiley
id10tothe9

Activity: 623

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 11:44:08 AM

Any news on this?
can somebody contact Aubrey again and tell him they can convert bitcoins to dollar directly to avoid the volatility factor if that's the problem? They must start accepting bitcoin to get more funds which they so much need, it's all of our lives at stake here  Grin and I'm sure the bitcoin community would be the most generous and enthusiastic people who could ever support this kind of research!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsR7L5nnmFY

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███