Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:12:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is something to kill for  (Read 161 times)
AndrewGolyanov (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 09:55:40 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2017, 09:27:36 PM by AndrewGolyanov

Hi guys,

I am a newbie copywriter. For the last 4 weeks I have been writing articles in Russian on bitcoin, ICOs, alt coins. I am starting to get immersed into this area and believe that it has a great potential to help peoplekind move forward. Also, I am thinking over a couple of ideas for my own ICO in a couple of years. Something to deal with famine fighting and incentives for micro-investment, combined. And, naturally, since the industry is booming, I am making good money, doing what I like, which is writing.

Right, so, I am totally pro-crypto, but a couple of weeks ago I heard about the story that one of the wealthiest men in Canada and his wife were stranged in their mansion. They were no signs of fight. They had the marks on their necks that showed that there stranged and not poisoned, etc. There were no other bruises on their bodies. As fas as I understand, the Canadians are very piece-loving, they are very tolerant to gays, immigrants, etc. I would be extremely happy to move to Canada from Russia, you know.

So, the motives:
1) hadred tor for the rich folk is out of question (http://cdn.axar.az/2017/11/07/maxresdefault.jpg)
2) double murder and suicide - not really plausible, coz they were happy, I guess.
3) they were killed for bitcoins or other crypto

So, my first thought when I saw the news was - they were most def strangled for their bitcoins. Well, maybe, it wasn't my first thought. Maybe, third or fourth. But it was right there. Here's a link to article about this occurrence - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/12/18/billionaire-couple-found-dead-in-their-basement-had-been-strangled-canadian-police-say/.

Then, I decided to Google "Barry Sherman killed bitcoin" There's nothing in TOP-50 in Google.

So, I decided to get back to work. Right now, I am writing a 5,000-word piece on Ethereum universe for newbies and I am sort going through all kinds of questions and tributaries. So, naturally, at some point, I have started writing up on "security, theft risk, etc.".

My rationale is like this:
1) Non-crypto assets: I can extort people all I want, but the FBI will trace my through WebMoney or bank accounts. Or they won't. I don't want to take on the risks of beight caught. That's why I actually don't carry out any "bad" actions. Coz, it's very hard to calculate the risks that you face and I am not that study to believe that I am either the cleverest or luckiest guy on this planet.
2) Crypto-assets: I can extort people for money AND SCOOH with no risk whatsoever. Nobody's going to be able to trace my in cryptos. Well, even if they can, I will be able to do the "mixing procedure" and that's it.

So, everybody has, of course, read this piece: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1lfobc/i_am_a_timetraveler_from_the_future_here_to_beg/. If you haven't, you just have to.

So, in this piece, the time-traveller says all kinds of wacko stuff. The point that drew my attention is the construction of castles for the wealthy to hide from the plebes. But, wait a second, that's exactly what was happening during the Middle Ages, and before the Middle Ages. Well, I think that that's was happening from this point (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGKlOkAMjJg) up to the point, when my people - tha bourgeois and tha nerd, that might actually be the same - came to the front and said that it's much easier to figure out problems through futures, stocks, contracts and just negotiations, you know. A couple of weeks ago I translated a contract for the lease of the apartment in London with the term of 1000 years.

But, now, the anonymity and pseudononimity of cryptos sort of incentivize people to think over extortion.

The other assets are hard to sell, if you steal them. The cash can be marked or the numbers of banknotes can be traceable. The online activities can be tracked.

And, let's make it clear, I am not a sportish guy. I like to read books and to roller blades.

I have some bitcoins. Let's say, I have one bitcoin. What if its prices goes up to 2 mil. Will a potential perp track me to the small suburb in Tha, where I am living, come here and sort or extort my bitcoin from me?

What's your take, guys? Is there any feasible mechanism to achieve the anti-double-whammy:

1) get all the perks that come from anonymity and pseudonimity
2) disincentivize anybody from trying to extort your coins out of you, coz it's hard to scooch away with them.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chris_nor

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 10:32:06 PM

It's not something to kill for, but many people would for any money. Don't know why you think the billionaire was killed for his bitcoins.
nagatraju

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:41:36 PM

We do not need to kill the bitcoins.They are created in order to simplify our lives, because this is their main idea. We must not abandon a better future.
AndrewGolyanov (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 09:23:07 PM

We do not need to kill the bitcoins.They are created in order to simplify our lives, because this is their main idea. We must not abandon a better future.

Ok, thx for the guidance.
Malsetid

Activity: 924
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:33:30 AM

It's not something to kill for, but many people would for any money. Don't know why you think the billionaire was killed for his bitcoins.

Exactly. Bitcoin is money. Bitcoin can be wealth. People have killed for less and its not going to be a surprise if there will be murders for btc especially that the value is like this. Imagine if the value of btc grows even more.

▄▄██████▄▄                  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
        ▄██████████████▄           ▄▄███████████████▄
      ▄██████████████████▄       ▄████████████████████▄
     █████████▀▀▀▀█████████▄   ▄██████████▀▀▀▀██████████
   ███████▀        ▀█████▀ ▄███████████▀       ▀████████
  ▄█▄█████▀           ▀█▀ ▄███████████▀          ▀███████▌
▄█████▄███              ▄███████████▀             ███████▌
  ▀█▀█████▄           ▄███████████▀ ▄▄           ▄███████▌
   ███████▄        ▄███████████▀ ▄████▄        ▄████████
     █████████▄▄▄▄███████████▀  ▄█████████▄▄▄▄██████████
      ▀████████████████████▀     ▀████████████████████▀
       ▀███████████████▀▀         ▀████████████████▀
          ▀▀▀██████▀▀                ▀▀███████▀▀▀
.CryptoMania.            ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▐██████████▄▄██▌
▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄████████████████▄▄ ████████████  ▄█████████████▄▄
▐███████████▌  █████████▀█████████
 ██▀▀ ██████ ▄████████▌▀▀ ▄███████▌
     ██████▐█████████  ▄███████▀▀
    ▐█████████████████▄███████
    ████████████████████████
    ▐████████████████████████
   ▄███▄▐███  ▄█████▄███████▄███▄
  ▐██ ██▐███ ▐███ ███▌ ███ ▐██ ██
   ▀███▄▐███ ▐███ ███▌ ███  ▀███▄
   ██▄█▀▐█████▀█████▀  ███  ██▄█▀

.The Real Slots.........
.Experience on-chain.

$

$
eann014

Activity: 1078
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 08:25:33 AM

Not just to simplify our lives, bitcoin really helps a lot of people and especially to those who are unemployed and known bitcoin already. Just like me, I am lucky to know bitcoin and I am earning through this and helping my family with our daily needs. Bitcoin should not something to kill for, bitcoin is a new generation of kind of digital money and for me, also a digital source of income.
VisualPleasure

Activity: 189
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 10:15:44 AM

i think there are still possible for someone killing for bitcoin. people with different environment, behavior may br possible to kilk someone for their bitcoin.
like now we know, that bitcoin had its value for money today.
so there are possible to rob someone and kilk to get their bitcoin

janaiz

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 06:18:41 AM

Maybe in the future!! if the Price of BTC is over a million from now, and I think if that will happen there will be a World War. For example if you have only 1 BTC and some people know that you have one, it might happen that they will force you to give your BTC to them and if not they might kill you, so I hope that it will not come to that.
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 01:39:49 PM

Maybe in the future!! if the Price of BTC is over a million from now, and I think if that will happen there will be a World War. For example if you have only 1 BTC and some people know that you have one, it might happen that they will force you to give your BTC to them and if not they might kill you, so I hope that it will not come to that.

Well we're getting news here of exchange bosses being kidnapped for ransom so i guess there already are people who think bitcoin is worth killing for.  There will always be people willing to kill for money

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 03:12:13 PM

Those are really valid concerns. Obviously this is going to attract hackers and other undesirable who'd want to take assets away from us. And we can't just easily call on the authorities. They might pass certain legislation to help those whose money were stolen from exchanges but obviously those are for those who has already accepted the loss of anonymity through KYC and stuff.

Well we're getting news here of exchange bosses being kidnapped for ransom so i guess there already are people who think bitcoin is worth killing for.  There will always be people willing to kill for money

Wait what? When? Which exchange boss? Oh dear....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: