Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:57:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian Having Difficulty Buying Bitcoin  (Read 1505 times)
Win4fun (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 10:23:41 PM

So i'm looking to buy some bitcoin but all of the major exchanges have outrageous fees, crappy payment options, huge minimum deposits, or require you disclose personal identification like a drivers licence and a utility bill.

Should I even bother trying to buy bitcoin through paypal on this site? I know most people are extra cautious about accepting paypal since it's so easily reversible.

Other than that are there are any exchanges that are easy to buy from for Canadians that anyone's had good experiences with?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: My bad, can someone move this to the Trading Discussion section please?
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CorvusCorax

Activity: 25

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

There is Canadian Virtual Exchange which is based in and caters to Canada. Fees aren't too horrible, but I believe they do have ID requirements. https://www.cavirtex.com
flagel8

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 11:56:05 PM

So i'm looking to buy some bitcoin...

Depends what you mean by "some". If it's less than $500, why not try localbitcoins? Do it in cash, enable the escrow and you're GTG. If its more, well, I'd feel a bit jumpy schlepping around so much cash. Otherwise, you might as well just use an exchange like Virtex. Safer.

Another (less direct) way is to consider buying a mining contract using a credit card - Or is it possible to use PayPal or even (anonymously) a postal money order?. But of course, CAVEAT EMPTOR. With all the hashing coming onstream real-soon-now who knows how that will play out.

Good luck. These are exciting times. Historic, even.
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 01:00:25 AM

If you wanna buy with CC, the absolute best option is VirWox
AstroBoy

Activity: 50

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 04:39:05 AM

There is Canadian Virtual Exchange which is based in and caters to Canada. Fees aren't too horrible, but I believe they do have ID requirements. https://www.cavirtex.com

I second CorvusCorax here.  If you are Canadian the ONLY way to go is cavirtex.com  They recently cut their entry level trading fee from 3% to 1.5% (which is still very high in comparison to bigger exchanges but hey, what isn't more expensive in Canada?)  With volume it can go as low as 0.5% which makes it somewhat competitive with other exchanges.

I find that once you get verified and link your Canadian bank account it's quite convenient and withdrawal fees are extremely reasonable and processed quickly.
talz0r

Activity: 43

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 01:56:15 PM

I've had nothing but good experiences using Canvirtex.
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 11:14:54 PM

Can a foreigner open a bank account in Canada?
gog1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 08:04:14 PM

canadianbitcoins used to be 'ok' in that you can deposit cash at the bank and all you provide is an email address - the spread and prices are so-so.  But I think they've changed now.
gog1

Activity: 756

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 08:08:07 PM

Anyone know what happened to libertybit, if they are still alive?
flagel8

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 02:29:12 AM

canadianbitcoins used to be 'ok' in that you can deposit cash at the bank and all you provide is an email address - the spread and prices are so-so.  But I think they've changed now.

Changed. You now have to register with Gov't Photo ID and they phone you to verify your address.
sayulita

Activity: 881

CyberTrade

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:49:35 AM

So i'm looking to buy some bitcoin but all of the major exchanges have outrageous fees, crappy payment options, huge minimum deposits, or require you disclose personal identification like a drivers licence and a utility bill.

Should I even bother trying to buy bitcoin through paypal on this site? I know most people are extra cautious about accepting paypal since it's so easily reversible.

Other than that are there are any exchanges that are easy to buy from for Canadians that anyone's had good experiences with?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: My bad, can someone move this to the Trading Discussion section please?

Bitcoin-Brokers has bitcoin available in Canada with cash deposits at major banks such as CIBC.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237164.0

███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                        ▀███████████████████████▀▀▀
       ▄▄██████▀▀▄▄     ▄█▄▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ██▀ ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄█  ▄▄████▄   ▄▄███████████▀
    ▄▄████▀▀     ██   ▄███▀▀▀▀██ ███▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██   ██▀▄▀██▀▀██     ▄▄████▀███  ███▄██▀
  ▄████▀         ██ ▄██▀█▀ ▄███ ███▄▄▄▄  ██ ▄▄█▀  ▄██  ██ ▄▄█▀   ▄██▄██▀ ▄██  ▄██▄███▄▄▄▄
 ▄███▀           ████▀ ██████▀ ██▀▀▀▀▀  ████▀▀   ▄██  █████▀ █████▀███  ▄██ ▄███▄██▀▀▀▀
████▀           ███▀  ██  ▄██ ██       ████▄    ▄██  ████▄   ▄█▀▀ ██▀  ███▄██▀ ▄██▀
████     ▄▄▄  ▄██▀   ██▄██▀▀ ███████▀  █▀  ▀█▄▄ ██   █▀  ▀█▄▄    ██▀  ███▀▀   ▀████████▀
████▄▄▄███▀ ███▀    ▀▀▀                      ▀▀█▄          ▀▀█▄ ██▀  ▀▀
 ▀█████▀▀ ███▀
.......MMO RPG Futuristic.......
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: