Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:46:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crypto & the environment  (Read 119 times)
alizay (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 11:43:21 PM

One of my friends refuses to invest in crypto because she denounces the impact on the environment. Might well explain that most of our current transactions are already digital and that printing more and more money is not 100% eco-friendly either, I was short on arguments to persuade her.
I can't deny that mining consumes a lot of energy and that the blockchain itself is a lot of data to store (correct me if I'm wrong), so how is it gonna be like when more and more ppl all over the world will buy crypto, start to pay with it, and mine massively? I know it's still the early beginning of the crypto democratization and that the machines efficiency is likely to improve, but she still makes a point, don't you think?

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
Nubitcoinerr

Activity: 332
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 04:43:29 PM

Your friend is pretty sharp.

http://powerscorecard.org/issues.cfm
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2147

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:08:26 PM

One of my friends refuses to invest in crypto because she denounces the impact on the environment. Might well explain that most of our current transactions are already digital and that printing more and more money is not 100% eco-friendly either, I was short on arguments to persuade her.
I can't deny that mining consumes a lot of energy and that the blockchain itself is a lot of data to store (correct me if I'm wrong), so how is it gonna be like when more and more ppl all over the world will buy crypto, start to pay with it, and mine massively? I know it's still the early beginning of the crypto democratization and that the machines efficiency is likely to improve, but she still makes a point, don't you think?

Bitcoin's carbon footprint is really tiny compared to cars, planes and other transport, and many other activities. The myth that Bitcoin would be an enviromental disaster was started by sensationalist clickbait articles that Bitcoin consumes more electricity than some country X. It becomes clear that it's just manipulation if you put that value next to world's power consumption or activities like gold mining/money printing. Won't be surprised if it will turn out that this FUD is sponsored by bankers.
emuLOAD

Activity: 328
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:19:36 PM

Your friend is an idiot, and not because they care about the environment and potential damage done to it.

The blockchain is absolutely pitiful ammounts of data to store. anybody can store the whole blockchain as of today on your average few-years old laptop without any problem. Data storage is not an issue, not for crypto anyways. compared to the data generated every day, it's far less than just the text messages generated by whatsapp are. and that's including the fact that the blockchain needs to be copied MANY times over to many nodes.

She takes the typical, ignorant stance of the technophobic enviornmentalist, where the solution to all problems are "going back to" whatever they identify as being the better solution. It's quite obvious that the relatively small ammount of energy used to mine bitcoin can hardly be compared, in its environmental impact, to almost any other system we rely on, from agriculture to transportation, to clothing, to mere water drinking.

Not investing in crypto can be a sensible choice for some, but definitely not for environmental reasons. Using email damages the environment orders of magnitude more, and does not generate any profit for the user which could then be used for actual positive interventions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: