Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:13:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How bitcoin sellers are defrauded at localbitcoins.com  (Read 31582 times)
Tungsten (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 06:21:39 PM

Update.
After more than 2 days on hold - bitcoins were finally released from an escrow.
Buyer apparently helped by cancelling the order.

I also stopped accepting interac e-transfer as a payment method and will only use bank cash deposit from now on.

• 188888888qZ5Mv4u5C2Bve6eyVJBFR5EEj • Get personalized bitcoin address like that at http://vanitycoin.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coqui33

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 06:35:33 PM

Glad to hear you got your coins back Sorry to hear that it took so long. Hope you gave him a "distrust" feedback along with a comment that warns the rest of us about that buyer.

Armed Citizens and the Law -- NRA-certified firearms instructor
Tungsten (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 06:37:11 PM

Glad to hear you got your coins back Sorry to hear that it took so long. Hope you gave him a "distrust" feedback along with a comment that warns the rest of us about that buyer.

That was certainly done 24 hours ago!

• 188888888qZ5Mv4u5C2Bve6eyVJBFR5EEj • Get personalized bitcoin address like that at http://vanitycoin.com/
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 09:08:47 PM

thanks for warning, i wanted to use them
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 09:21:44 PM

If I were you I'd still give it a shot. 99% of the transactions i've done there went down without a hitch. Sure, once in a while you get someone trying to do something funny, but contact localbitcoins support and they are usually quick to help out (especially if you have alot of positive feedback and they can easily tell youre likely not at fault).

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
coqui33

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 02:32:39 AM

Are you a buyer or a seller? If you are a buyer, you will not find a source than can beat localbitcoins for speed, reliability, and anonymity. If you are a seller, then you are always going to be the target of scammers, no matter where you sell, because bitcoin transfers are irrevocable. Even for sellers, though, I strongly recommend localbitcoins because the admins eventually respond to attempted scams of sellers.

FYI, Tungsten and I are both sellers on LBC and we will continue selling on that site.

Armed Citizens and the Law -- NRA-certified firearms instructor
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:09:15 PM

Are you a buyer or a seller? If you are a buyer, you will not find a source than can beat localbitcoins for speed, reliability, and anonymity. If you are a seller, then you are always going to be the target of scammers, no matter where you sell, because bitcoin transfers are irrevocable. Even for sellers, though, I strongly recommend localbitcoins because the admins eventually respond to attempted scams of sellers.

FYI, Tungsten and I are both sellers on LBC and we will continue selling on that site.
I was a seller and I have given up advertising offers for exactly this reason. Now I just keep a look out of reputable buyers with reasonably good bids and sell to them. Of course when taking liquidity the price you get is never good, but I'd rather pay a little than have to deal with these scammers.
Tungsten (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 08:06:53 PM

I think the solution logic would be easy:

- IF buyer "marked payment as complete"
- AND dispute is opened by the seller
- AND buyer failed to present any proof of payment (image of receipt, snapshot of "paid" page, transaction id, whatever)
- AND buyer failed to respond on dispute within reasonable time, like 4 hours
- THEN - seller's escrow will be released and transaction cancelled.

TimJBenham

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 09:26:05 PM

Dealing in Bitcoin is forex yet the non-exchange sales models used are ones that might suit dealing in second hand goods.

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.
topelius

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:32:44 AM

I think the solution logic would be easy:

- IF buyer "marked payment as complete"
- AND dispute is opened by the seller
- AND buyer failed to present any proof of payment (image of receipt, snapshot of "paid" page, transaction id, whatever)
- AND buyer failed to respond on dispute within reasonable time, like 4 hours
- THEN - seller's escrow will be released and transaction cancelled.

Seems that you don't understand what is the point of "Escrow service". It's target is to protect BOTH SELLER and BUYER. You think that it should protect properly only seller?

I think that "two days in escrow" is better solution to you than lost bitcoins.

You may use LB advanced settings to prevent such a situation in future. I have traded quite a lot in LB and I have been in same situation than you. But because first-time buyer limit is low, big amount of bitcoins never held in escrow for long times.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 09:41:06 AM

Also, I don't see how it would be a way for buyers to "squeeze" better prices. It might be competitors doing this, to get your ads away, but I don't see how the buyers would benefit from this.

he is saying it is like getting a free call option for 48 hrs
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 12:42:33 PM

Seems that you don't understand what is the point of "Escrow service". It's target is to protect BOTH SELLER and BUYER. You think that it should protect properly only seller?

I think that "two days in escrow" is better solution to you than lost bitcoins.

You may use LB advanced settings to prevent such a situation in future. I have traded quite a lot in LB and I have been in same situation than you. But because first-time buyer limit is low, big amount of bitcoins never held in escrow for long times.

You should probably flesh out that explanation.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Tungsten (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 01:35:03 AM

Thats probably the best summary of the whole thread.
Regardless of volatility (which should normally raise the price of call options significantly) - it's always a totally free ride for a buyer.

joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 03:29:13 PM

Regardless of volatility (which should normally raise the price of call options significantly) - it's always a totally free ride for a buyer.

If you'd read any of my comments on this thread, you would understand this is not the case.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
botsofbitcoin

Activity: 62

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 10:56:50 AM

If you'd read any of my comments on this thread, you would understand this is not the case.

It's not 100% guaranteed, but I would think a lot of sellers will honour the price set when the trade was opened. I only found out recently that the option you described was available.

See my localbitcoins ads here: https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/botsofbitcoin/?ch=2mk
Visit Bots of Bitcoin here: http://www.botsofbitcoin.com/
Follow on Twitter: @botsofbitcoin
TimJBenham

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:27:41 AM

I read this one
If I were you I'd still give it a shot. 99% of the transactions i've done there went down without a hitch. Sure, once in a while you get someone trying to do something funny, but contact localbitcoins support and they are usually quick to help out (especially if you have alot of positive feedback and they can easily tell youre likely not at fault).
and I'm none the wiser. Maybe you need to explain it more clearly.

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.
timmyM

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 06:22:40 PM

So this is my story which has not yet been resolved.

143 hours ago a buyer opened a trade for bank transfer, 0.13824BTC.

2.5 hours pass and no payment is made - I open a dispute.

The Admin writes immediately (I assume automated):

Please provide a proof of payment within 6 hours or the dispute will be resolved to the seller.

82 hours pass and in that time, I provide a daily screenshot of my account and upload a video of my account to prove no payment has arrived. I request the buyer initiate a trace on his transfer. The buyer constantly calls me a scammer and a liar.

Finally, 76 hours after the first 6 hour window of evidence has closed, Admin writes again:

*USERNAME OF BUYER*, attach a screenshot of your latest bank transactions, including this payment, in 8 hours,
Fresh screenshot of the full browser page including the address bar.
Meantime please contact with your bank and try to trace the payment, evidence please submit here.
Thank you.

3.5 hours pass and the buyer admits in the chat that the bank has not sent the money for whatever reason (I don't believe a word). He wants to change the terms of trade to cash payment in branch. I refuse immediately and inform him and Admin that I have put a stop on my account for 24h. The account will not accept any deposits cash or transfer. I request the ticket to be closed by Admin. No response. The Buyer has not logged back in to his account since around this time.

17 hours pass, we are now nearly 13 hours since the 8 hour window of evidence has closed. Admin writes again:

*USERNAME OF BUYER*, if you have an issue with the bank kindly please cancel this trade
if you made a transfer again attach a screenshot of your latest bank transactions, including this payment, in 8 hours, or the dispute resolve to the seller.
Fresh screenshot of the full browser page including the address bar.

This message was sent about 26 hours ago as I write this post. The window of evidence expired 18 hours ago, in the middle of the night.

Localbitcoins staff have not replied today and my funds are still in their escrow. A whole day just to close the dispute and release my coins. The buyer has not been seen for 48 hours. It is now past 8PM in Helsinki where the Localbitcoins offices are located.

I assume they have gone home for the weekend. It will be another 60 hours or so until they return to work, unless they work Saturdays.

Obviously I'm a little upset at their behaviour! I just cannot see any reason for them to act in such a manner.

Can anyone help? Is there anyone active here that works there or know someone there?
timmyM

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 12:04:46 PM

My dispute was finally resolved today. It appears LBC work saturdays.
crypyticdeal

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 10:51:14 AM

These coin lockers are big problems in any OTC exchange. Exchange should have some fair policy so that sellers stop getting harassed. 
AngelSky

Activity: 1008
Merit: 537

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:22:26 PM

These coin lockers are big problems in any OTC exchange. Exchange should have some fair policy so that sellers stop getting harassed. 

Who is harrasted in the localbitcoins? directly you may write the e-mail or use the support team executive to find the issue has been resolved. I am using the LBC for more than 2.5 years to exchange my bitcoins into cash.
I did not even find the single issue with these time. I do not know why very few people getting issue on using LBC.

Dude, I do not know why you posted your problem in the thread created by 2013. Better if you have any issue please create with the issue detail on scam accusation mate.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: