Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:21:37 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with blockchain.info - what should I do?  (Read 654 times)
dkuhlman (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 04:34:03 AM

I've been storing some of my BTC in a wallet at blockchain.info.  I have an Android phone with Google Authenticator and had two factor authentication setup on my blockchain.info wallet account.  Everything was well and good, then my phone died, and I lost access to the blockchain.info account.  I've tried doing a "reset two-factor authentication request" with blockchain.info.  Twice. Now I'm going on two weeks and haven't received any response from them other than "click here to validate your request".  Is there anything else I can do to get back into my wallet?  I had the account configured to backup the Wallet to either Dropbox or Google drive, one of which contains some .json files; but I'm not sure what to do with those and\or if it will solve my problem.  What should I do?  What is the expected response time from blockchain.info requests such as this.  Any advice?  Thx
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 07:04:15 AM

Create a new blockchain.info account and restore it from your wallet backup.  Next time write down the authenticator's secret key.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 07:08:34 AM

Create a new blockchain.info account and restore it from your wallet backup.  Next time write down the authenticator's secret key.

What he said. +1
patryn

Activity: 19

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 08:16:02 AM

You can also load your backup file using a program such as Multibit in order to retrieve your bitcoins. It's setup so that even if something happens to the blockchain site/database, your bitcoins are safe. Please keep us updated regarding your situation here.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2013, 08:18:38 AM

or just don't use 2 auth next time. if you're that paranoid, use a cold storage maybe?

dkuhlman (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 10:00:58 PM

Thanks for the advice.  Does restoring from a backup restore the wallet from where it was when the backup was taken, or does it look at the blockchain and restore the entire wallet?  The backups I have weren't necessarily taken right before I lost access.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 10:02:47 PM

The only thing that's backed up is your private keys.  The blockchain holds all the transaction history.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 12:22:38 AM

Thanks for the advice.  Does restoring from a backup restore the wallet from where it was when the backup was taken, or does it look at the blockchain and restore the entire wallet?  The backups I have weren't necessarily taken right before I lost access.

Bitcoins aren't stored in your wallet.  The wallet is simply a collection of public/private keys.  Once the keys are restored, the blockchain will be scanned to find out the total of the unspent outputs that equal your balance.  The restored private key will give you the ability to spend them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: