Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:00:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing more than 9 GPU's on an ASROCK H110 Pro BTC+ Motherboard (8 Works)  (Read 319 times)
smeeter (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 06:54:50 AM

I have a 13 slot H110 Pro BTC+ mother board that has been operating fine for the past couple weeks with 8 GPU's installed on it.
I had intended to install 5 more GPU's on the motherboard but when I go from 8 GPU's to 9 and up; the hashing power on the additional card is halved and the system becomes very unstable. In cases where there were multiple cards above 8 installed, ethos would eventually freeze.

Has anyone had this issue in the past or know what my problem could be? The rig runs without issue at 8 cards but becomes completely unstable afterwards.
Let me know if any other info is needed.

My setup is as follows:
13 - MSI Radeaon RX580 Armor 8G OC (Biosed and running around 27 hash)
ASROCK H110 Pro BTC+ (13 PCI Express Slots)
Running Ethos Version 1.2.7 (Mining Ethereum)
3 - Power supply's with AUX paralleling cables, all Thermaltake Toughpower Gold(2 X 1200W and 1 X 850w)
8GB Ram
PCI-E Powered Riser Adapter Card (16x to 1x Powered Riser Adapter Card / MOLEX to SATA Power Cable - GPU Riser Adapter)

The mother board is all being power off the 850W PSU with separate cables being run for the main ATXPWR1, ATX12V1, PCIE_PWR1, PCIE_PWR2 and SATA_POW1.
I have installed plastic isolators between the PCI riser cables to stop from shorting out and i have checked all the PCI slots and they function correctly just not when installing more than 8 GPU's.

Thanks
percy_tc

Activity: 583
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 07:02:26 AM

In default there is no need for plastic between risers as only USB grounds could touch reach other. ( if you use multiple Power supply than make sure that risers from different psu won't touch).

Check PCI-EX generation in BIOS. I would switch to gen 1. And add cards one by one.
smeeter (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 12:12:10 AM

I tried the switching from Auto to Gen 1 and Gen 2 and still wasn't able to go past the 8th card without a large amount of system instability.  I ended up putting simplemining on a thumb drive and setting it up that way and it worked without issue (was also able to get me hashing up from 27 Mhash/GPU to 29.3 Mhash/GPU. 

I had the global miner in ethos set to ethminer and switched to the latest Claymore in simple mining.  I'm wondering if there is a default setting in Ethminer that only allows for 8 GPU's.  Not too sure.  But it's running now and has been stable for the last couple hours.     

Thanks for the suggestions anyways!
twistedbelly

Activity: 47

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 12:36:16 AM

Sounds like the same exact situation I’m in
Ethos has been freezing non stop the past couple days on two different rigs I have.
I have a 7pgu on the same h110 board and a 9gpu setup on a tb250 pro btc. I’m starting to think the common denominator is ethos.
I have even paid for another download of ethos and made a new boot usb... that didn’t help
I ran everything on the default/stock settings, thinking I was running them too hard (even though I had settings that worked perfect on other rigs with less than 5 gpu), and that didn’t work either.
I think I’m giving up on ethos
It seems to work well with 1-5, but I can’t keep it stable with anything above that

If anyone has any suggestions or if I’m missing something, I’d gladly listen.
But I feel your pain
smeeter (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 05:21:10 PM

Did you try changing your global miner type from ethminer to claymore and configuring it for the claymore build?  I never tried this on my setup because i had already switched to Simpleminer.net. 
It was just an afterthought when i was looking into what could possibly be different between the two setups (both are Linux based) because i could literally put either usb stick in (Ethos programmed or simple miner programmed) but the Ethos one would not work.

Also - same as you, prior to me looking at adding the 5 more cards - i'd noticed that ethos was crashing more.  Was blaming it on other stuff but maybe that was the issue overall.  I've been up for a little over 24hrs since i switched over and will post how long it goes without having a stability issue or crash.

Cheers.

Sounds like the same exact situation I’m in
Ethos has been freezing non stop the past couple days on two different rigs I have.
I have a 7pgu on the same h110 board and a 9gpu setup on a tb250 pro btc. I’m starting to think the common denominator is ethos.
I have even paid for another download of ethos and made a new boot usb... that didn’t help
I ran everything on the default/stock settings, thinking I was running them too hard (even though I had settings that worked perfect on other rigs with less than 5 gpu), and that didn’t work either.
I think I’m giving up on ethos
It seems to work well with 1-5, but I can’t keep it stable with anything above that

If anyone has any suggestions or if I’m missing something, I’d gladly listen.
But I feel your pain
Morgon

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:38:47 PM

Which drivers and OS are you using? This may be Vega-specific, but I'm fairly certain that 8 GPU was the limit on the August Beta Blockchain driver, as well as Windows 10 before the Fall Creator's Update. 
soothaa

Activity: 1151
Merit: 528

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 09:15:33 PM

My board will simply not post with 9 Vegas plugged in.

Want increased coin support within AwesomeMiner? Try my free plugin to add support for nearly any coin! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2979494
Want Masternode income stats within AwesomeMiner? Try my free plugin to add support for them! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3047367
Sledge0001

Activity: 600
Merit: 152

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 02:20:29 AM

My board will simply not post with 9 Vegas plugged in.

Not that this helps but I was able to run 9 NVidia GPU's on this motherboard using Win 10 (Creators Edition) although I did find 8 was still the sweet spot...

Take a look for the latest drivers for your video cards and try switching up your risers to see if that gets you anywhere.
soothaa

Activity: 1151
Merit: 528

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 01:23:30 PM

I tried several different ways. Nothing worked. Just decided I was okay with running 7 since it seems to be a Vega issue.

Want increased coin support within AwesomeMiner? Try my free plugin to add support for nearly any coin! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2979494
Want Masternode income stats within AwesomeMiner? Try my free plugin to add support for them! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3047367
eleceng1979

Activity: 44
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 01:31:34 PM

For what its worth...

I run 7 x 1070 + 6 x 570 on this board just fine on Win10.  I use a single server PS for all GPU and a 12V to ATX Pico for the MB.  I did have issues with risers touching and fixed this.  Since then no issues.  IMHO riser touching is a no no even though the USB shield/case is grounded it can create a ground loop or noise issues.  When using multiple power supplies it can create even more issues.

Bios MODS
1. Gen 1 on all PCIE
2. Turn off all serial port, parallel port, audio, etc... unused junk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: