Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:36:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not sure if i understood ICO  (Read 180 times)
jakecoins (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 09:07:18 AM

Morning everybody,
I would like to participate in a ICO since it seems pretty profitable but I'm not sure if i got that right.
Is it right that an ICO is a cheap sale of Tokens. The goal is that these Tokens increase in value. Right?
But what exactly is the difference between coins and tokens. Are tokens just a project-specific coin. Do I have to treat them in any ohter way or is it just anoter name for the same thing?
Cheers
cyber_smiley

Activity: 52
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 01:31:48 PM

Morning everybody,
I would like to participate in a ICO since it seems pretty profitable but I'm not sure if i got that right.
Is it right that an ICO is a cheap sale of Tokens. The goal is that these Tokens increase in value. Right?
But what exactly is the difference between coins and tokens. Are tokens just a project-specific coin. Do I have to treat them in any ohter way or is it just anoter name for the same thing?
Cheers

TOKEN - mainly used for "coins" that are build on top of another blockchain such as Ethereum or Waves as example, popular platform is Ethereum with ERC20 tokens

COIN - an different coin with its own blockchain.

GOAL : Is to raise money for people/company/startup to make their idea a reality and since they want to "help investors" they are trying to make sure that their tokens raise in value to benefit the investors.

Tokens are easier to create thats why many people are creating those. Tokens/coins from ICOs can raise up in value and that is why most people are buying in they are hoping price will raise but this IS NOT GUARANTEE that they will raise. You will have to chose project that have good idea and good memebrs who will implement that idea, personally I don't like to invest in ICOs , because you may find yourself investing in one that might fail or that is just pure scam. I am not saying don't invest, if you understand and know what you are doing its great you can flip money and earn huge in terms of % raise.

That being said many ICOs are tokens that are build on Ethereum network and are developing some smart contracts on there, but this doesn't needs to be the case.
Alluro

Activity: 742
Merit: 19

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 01:53:05 PM

Yes you currcet but not all. It will be profitable if you find right ICO. If you choose wrong one you will be lost. Because too many scam ICO's everywhere. First you have to do a big research before invest. Good luck!
jakecoins (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:43:55 PM

Thank you for your answers! They helped a lot. Now i get it.
Slimberry

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 10:03:27 PM

ICO is INITIAL COIN OFFER, they come at low rate as low as 0.002 or so and if you are lucky it would enter exchange and rise beyond the purchase ICO rate. That's how you can make your money.
Notmyfault7

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 01:10:52 PM

You can just think you buy some coins at a cheep price,but whether the price will go up or go down is not a certain thing.
goldexp83

Activity: 225

quarkchain.io

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 09:53:52 PM

And  if you are not sure which ICO to invest you can do some research and start from sites like ICObench, ICOrater to check reviews and getting a better idea about the project and team (just like you would do with something like Kickstarter).

MNtrio

Activity: 248

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 09:49:35 AM

Everyone thank you for sharing an idea about ICO and now i know what is exactly meant.As a beginner like me there is so many ways to learn but i'm happy because there such a kind person who are willing to teach us.Thank you so much everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: