Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:46:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you buy a wireless internet router with built in ASIC chips?  (Read 3944 times)
GGGGG (OP)

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 11:27:51 AM

1) You use a router anyways.

2) It's always plugged in and powered on.

3) It's always connected to the internet.

What if you could buy a router that double functioned as a bitcoin miner? With, say, 1 GH/s? Would you buy one? How much would you be willing to pay?
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 11:51:17 AM

Having done no research on this (aka. Someone else probably brought up what I'm about to say and proved/disproved it), I bet you could run a few AM Block Erupter USB sticks on most routers that let you pull open a shell and have enough resources to install/compile and run bfg/cgminer.

I doubt there's enough interest in the general public for the manufacturers of home routers to make bitcoin mining a built-in function of the devices but hosting the AM sticks seems like a doable task to achieve what you're saying.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 11:58:13 AM

Yeah but it is already provided by the ISP... isn't it in your case?
hayek

Activity: 370

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 12:14:03 PM

I think OP would be talking about a third party router. Probably custom built.

I don't think it's a bad idea. I just don't like mixing my platforms/systems/etc. I like my routers tight.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 12:33:55 PM

But then his first assumption doesn't stand. I only need one router, and it's already provided by the ISP...
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 12:35:41 PM

I don't think it's a bad idea. I just don't like mixing my platforms/systems/etc. I like my routers tight.

Yap, KISS approach.

An easy and cheap solution would be a Raspberry Pi with a few Block Erupters, put it in a case and it's just another device under the router.

polrpaul

Activity: 238

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2013, 12:46:26 PM

I'd rather not risk my router frying/dying and maintain reliable connectivity instead.

You can mine with any other equipment behind the router.. but bonking down the choke point is stupid.

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
Fallout

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 12:50:02 PM

There is one provided, but it is sooo extremely bad ... And no one stops you from installing a better one (If you want GBit Ethernet and 300Mbit WiFi you have no choise for example)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 01:53:14 PM

Not here.

The router i have is mine, i bought it. Totally unrelated with the ISP

hayek

Activity: 370

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 01:57:40 PM

But then his first assumption doesn't stand. I only need one router, and it's already provided by the ISP...

I think maybe this is the break down here.

Just because your ISP rents/leases/gives you a router doesn't mean it's a good one. The cost of that router is still included in your services. OP just wants to slap a couple chips on it to make it mine. I don't think it's a bad idea it's just not that viable.
chondrite

Activity: 237

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 03:31:55 PM

not always.  usually isp's will rent you the modem and router while charging a monthly premium that will add up to 200% or more of the cost after a few months.  Check your bill...go buy your own router and modem.  You are likely not required to use their equipment.
PEBKAC

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 03:51:27 PM

Having done no research on this (aka. Someone else probably brought up what I'm about to say and proved/disproved it), I bet you could run a few AM Block Erupter USB sticks on most routers that let you pull open a shell and have enough resources to install/compile and run bfg/cgminer.

I doubt there's enough interest in the general public for the manufacturers of home routers to make bitcoin mining a built-in function of the devices but hosting the AM sticks seems like a doable task to achieve what you're saying.
Definately doable. Many routers these days actually run Linux. Using certain NAS units also would be a great option. I believe there even are some that allow you to install software.

Not in my case. Depends on the ISP. Most ADSL/VDSL/SDSL providers out here do provide a modem-router box, but Cable internet usually doesn't provide a router (or only at additional cost), nor do glassfiber ISP's.
Especially glassfiber is usually only with a glassfiber-to-RJ45 terminationpoint. From that point on is your own responsibility.

So you own a PC for every different task too? Tongue

I have no problems with mixing things. It'll only result in a lower electricity bill.
Why not combine a NAS, Miner, Router, unmanaged downloadbox, mediasharing (for those TV boxes), etc into one machine?
Single point of failure? yes. But is that really a problem for most tech-savvy people? It's not like your life depends on it. If internet is really important, you could keep a router just as backup and connect it as soon as you need it.
overc

Activity: 263

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 09:14:32 PM

I think it is a brilliant idea.

1. Not much profit from using this router but just marketing idea for ads for ISPs. Ordinar people will LOVE the idea just earning something by doing nothing.

2. Than more decentralising hash than better for bitcoin.

3. The ISPs can run their own mining pool.
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 10:07:36 PM

I think it is a brilliant idea.

1. Not much profit from using this router but just marketing idea for ads for ISPs. Ordinar people will LOVE the idea just earning something by doing nothing.

2. Than more decentralising hash than better for bitcoin.

3. The ISPs can run their own mining pool.

+1

What is missing there is ASIC Bitcoin Miner app and of course ASIC chip(s).
btw:Fon approaches 12 million hotspots worldwide

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
tacoman71

Activity: 320

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 07:33:27 PM

This thread got me thinking, Cisco, Belkin, or other WiFi router companies can put a couple chips in each router, maybe a couple of avalon chips totaling about 500 Mh/s so they don't draw much electricity. And those routers are secretly mining for those companies that makes the routers. even if they sell about 1 million of these routers, thats 5 TH/S! The company only has to put the chips in and do some programming and they get to mine without paying for the electricity. Sure someone'e going to find out, but it's an interesting idea.

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt
millsdmb

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 08:40:38 PM

2) It's always plugged in and powered on.

3) It's always connected to the internet.

What if you could buy a router that double functioned as a bitcoin miner? With, say, 1 GH/s? Would you buy one? How much would you be willing to pay?

I wish I could run a hub of block erupters off of my roku. That's on all the time too =D

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:01:32 AM

So when is Comcast going to start sticking a mining ASIC into your free router that you get from them with their package deals. It'll be pre-programmed to mine on their pool, and they would make multiple TH/s and none of their users would know a thing. Sneaky bastards.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
zhaodong1982

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 05:00:20 PM

It is a good idea for people who don't know bitcoin well but want to have a bitcoin. I guess maybe my dad or mum may buy it.  Cheesy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: