Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:50:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Does a college degree still matter in the Digital age?
Yes - 24 (60%)
No - 8 (20%)
Depends - 8 (20%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does a college degree still matter in the digital age?  (Read 662 times)
randal9

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 04:22:05 PM

skills that are far more valuable in his observations, "When you see people who do not go to school and succeed, it is a wonderful human being. And we have to do all we can to find those people. "

time is changing and along with it, the perceived value of one's skills and attributes as an employee. Do not worry if your qualifications are lower than your colleague's academic qualifications. Your work experience and attitude are more appreciated by the company
completely agree with you...skills and abilities are much more important than the title...maybe earlier people were judged by rank, but now they communicate with the person first and then draw their conclusions whether he can be useful or not
orarider

Activity: 575
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 06:10:00 AM

As I think in the digital age nowadays the college degree is very important. It is the certificate that you are the educated person. You can apply to the big companies to work. state ... so it is very necessary for everyon
BronxCats

Activity: 82
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 07:14:21 AM

It matters of course. The only thing that even if you can't go to college, there are a lot of good tutorials where you can learn things, and I find that more efficient than college. But of course you do not get a degree from that.
jeffryluna (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 10:39:14 PM

22 Voters so far! Honestly, this tread I started inspired me to go back to the uni, get my transcripts straight and wrap up that final year.

I realized that even though I got lucky, and never really needed the degree to put up for my family and myself, the reward of getting the degree is different. It's now about self fulfillment and that I want to set an example to my future kids.

Although, that doesn't change the fact that other institutions impose crazy requirements like a bachelor's degree to be a cashier, or to fix beds in a hotel, or to be a server/waiter in wherever. Skill based jobs should be available for everyone IMO
shunga

Activity: 136
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 11:06:03 PM

I dont think that it matters as much to have a 4 year degree anymore. I think a degree is beneficial if the degree is in a field that has high ROI. I made good money and started my business before having a degree but wanted to finish up so that I could be a good example for my children .

No of course because in college every above 20 years old can studies age doesn't matter in college. So i think is not a problem if you are so old..

●    D A F Z O    ●   A DECENTRALIZED GLOBAL P2P LOGISTICS PLATFORM   ●    D A F Z O    ●
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   CONTRIBUTE in PRIVATE SALE OFFERING 50% BONUS   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
TelegramFacebookTwitterWhitePaperANNOnePagerYoutubeMediumLinkedIn
turkandjaydee

Activity: 1456
Merit: 567

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 11:54:15 PM

VOTE in the Poll!

Like many people I’m a college drop-out and the current consensus for people who does not have a degree is not that great compared to those who has at least a Bachelor’s diploma.

When people asks me how would I be able to compete with those graduates my answer is, a lot of the things that I do in my current job can be learned through an 8 hour online course in Udemy or a simple search in google.

However, I was passing by a big drugstore chain in my place and I saw the job posting outside and it says:

“WANTED: Cashier
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in any field”

That made me wonder, why does a degree matter for that position?

I am a Software Development Quality Assurance Engineer and I was very lucky that my employer trusted the skills I bring in, because if to take and count money requires the fancy diploma, then I won’t survive getting a job at least not for now.

My thoughts are, if it were my doctor, Im pretty sure I wouldn’t want someone who would tell me that “Well I googled it and I think you have cancer” but other positions in a company, or the mahor industries as well, can easily be learned through training and self education.

What are your thoughts folks? Share and reply. Let’s have a meaningful exchange!
University is good if you want to study there seriously.
But the most important is your special skills, background and something like that.
The thing is learning is very important, not necessarily academically but any useful or productive things.
zedkiel08

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 12:30:58 AM

Now it depends on how a person can handle its own life with or without a college degree. For most people who are have financial problem , they want to finish college with a degree so that they will have a better life in the future. But most people nowadays even if they did not finish college , are being successfull because of hardwork and experience , failure in life is the best experience to a person to be a successfull. College degree is important to those people who wants to achieve their goal in life , and want a better life in the future.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
THE FABRIC TOKEN ECOSYSTEM      WHITE PAPER    ANN THREAD    SLACK      DRAG-AND-DROP SMART CONTRACTS
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Justyn

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 03:46:39 AM

I think today most qualifications and degrees are less meaningful but more people are requiring them. It doesn't quite seem logical, but I guess that's just what's happening.   Undecided
jeffryluna (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:18:03 AM

I dont think that it matters as much to have a 4 year degree anymore. I think a degree is beneficial if the degree is in a field that has high ROI. I made good money and started my business before having a degree but wanted to finish up so that I could be a good example for my children .

No of course because in college every above 20 years old can studies age doesn't matter in college. So i think is not a problem if you are so old..

This is super right, you might feel like you dont need a degree now, but whatever age you maybe in you can definitely go to college. As long as you have the money for it or even the credentials (you graduated Highschool)
DesmondHayes

Activity: 182
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:47:31 AM

College is the way of gaining the proper knowledge that will guide you in your line of work. The college degree matters very much and people that are thinking otherwise are misguided by the modern society. In this time of digitalization, people can absorb the information they are interested in easier. They can learn a lot with the easier ways but in the end the college degree matters. A diploma is needed for every major job you will apply for. Your degree is representing you with a title that is crucial to your success. There are some exceptions that can be seen in healthy families. The degree doesn't apply to them because they can get everything easy. Trust yourself and educate yourself! You will gain much in your life with the proper education

CONTRACTNET     |     At the intersection of Blockchain, IOT & SMART CONTRACTS             
|     WHITEPAPER     |     TWITTER     |      TELEGRAM     
████████████████████████  [  JOIN ICO   ●   10th MARCH  ] ████████████████████████
agus_sna

Activity: 229

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 03:52:29 PM

I do not think it's very influential because if we graduated but did not master master and there is no place to channel our expertise then the scholar is not very influential,
Look at today's school children are able to earn income,
thank you
jeffryluna (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:46:38 PM

I do not think it's very influential because if we graduated but did not master master and there is no place to channel our expertise then the scholar is not very influential,
Look at today's school children are able to earn income,
thank you

Im not sure I understood what you meant. But what I get from you is, today a bachelor’s degree does not cut it, you’d have to get a masters degree is that it?

I think this goes back to it depends what field you are trying to dominate. At least in my opinion.
Uniconbear

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:06:56 PM

It definitely gives you a leg up on the competition.
Lecam

Activity: 700
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:12:31 PM

VOTE in the Poll!

Like many people I’m a college drop-out and the current consensus for people who does not have a degree is not that great compared to those who has at least a Bachelor’s diploma.

When people asks me how would I be able to compete with those graduates my answer is, a lot of the things that I do in my current job can be learned through an 8 hour online course in Udemy or a simple search in google.

However, I was passing by a big drugstore chain in my place and I saw the job posting outside and it says:

I am a Software Development Quality Assurance Engineer and I was very lucky that my employer trusted the skills I bring in, because if to take and count money requires the fancy diploma, then I won’t survive getting a job at least not for now.

My thoughts are, if it were my doctor, Im pretty sure I wouldn’t want someone who would tell me that “Well I googled it and I think you have cancer” but other positions in a company, or the mahor industries as well, can easily be learned through training and self education.

What are your thoughts folks? Share and reply. Let’s have a meaningful exchange!

In my opinion , college is still necessary no matter what field we choose. Though we are on a digital generation , having a diploma and a degree is still an advantage specially in getting a job. It is a requirement wherever we go or whatever we apply for. That's the reason why our parents wants us to study.
jeffryluna (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:53:42 PM

VOTE in the Poll!

In my opinion , college is still necessary no matter what field we choose. Though we are on a digital generation , having a diploma and a degree is still an advantage specially in getting a job. It is a requirement wherever we go or whatever we apply for. That's the reason why our parents wants us to study.

Yep, it is necessary until you figure out what you really want to do.

In the uni I attended there would be at least 10,000 graduates or even more every year.. but every year, the unemployment rate goes up (including those that has a degree or not) - So it does not add up. Having just a degree would never be enough. The end story will be underemployment, meaning you are doing something you did not invested your money and your time in because right off the bat, companies demand for experience which a new grad would never have. There should be more jobs at this point and more people getting the rightful positions.

Companies, should taking in house trainings seriously and ivest in people. Fresh graduates should have a fighting chance over the tenured ones who are lucky to get the experience because it wasnt this crazy 5 to 10 years back. 
butcherme

Activity: 368
Merit: 18

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 05:59:47 PM

I think if you're not really looking for a high profile job, college degree will not matter. There's a lot of junkies out there that are really skilled with computer, but wasn't even able to finish high school or even college. There are also who has a degree and not even skilled at work. For me, skill is very important than a degree.
Byatt

Activity: 105
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:27:41 PM

yes college degree really matters.  People have different dreams you cannot just put it in one directions.  Some would like to be a professional, a doctor, a scientist, a teacher, a nurse, a policemen and many others.  Education is very important to everyone no matter digital world exist.  We need all kinds of people to fill in the world we live in.
rynah011991

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:05:11 PM

It matters most, in terms of employment it was a big help and advantage for looking a job right now. Companies prefer with college degree and have a chance to get a better job and high salary. No matter what is your course you have to strive and work hard to achieve that degree. That is the path/way for better future.
AnnaCepesh

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:06:40 PM

Well, it matters less definitely, when you think about, when it stays in imagination - open boarders, open knowledge, open source...
But just look through this article and you will feel the reality hit.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2015/02/university_hiring_if_you_didn_t_get_your_ph_d_at_an_elite_university_good.html
Sneginka111

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:47:07 PM

As I think in the digital age nowadays the college degree is very important. It is the certificate that you are the educated person. You can apply to the big companies to work. state ... so it is very necessary for everyon

Well, depends on the degree really. Most programmers I know don't have one, for example.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: