Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:18:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Android Released!  (Read 7444 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 08:17:47 PM

Has anyone been able to get this to do any more than spin?  Mine has been running since yesterday, has a 22 meg footprint, and still hasn't seen the coins that I sent it.  I'm using a Samsung Intercept, but it doesn't force close like Bitcoin Wallet did.

Mine took about 5 to 8 hours to finally finish spinning (I had to keep the app open and running for a long time). It started Force Closing the next day though, which is upsetting, since it worked extremely well when it finished spinning.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 08:21:37 PM

Has anyone been able to get this to do any more than spin?  Mine has been running since yesterday, has a 22 meg footprint, and still hasn't seen the coins that I sent it.  I'm using a Samsung Intercept, but it doesn't force close like Bitcoin Wallet did.

Mine took about 5 to 8 hours to finally finish spinning (I had to keep the app open and running for a long time). It started Force Closing the next day though, which is upsetting, since it worked extremely well when it finished spinning.

How large was your data footprint by the time it stopped spinning?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 08:31:15 PM

Yeah we really really need a block status indicator to help those of us who have been spinning for several hours troubleshoot.
Test Bank Guy

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 08:43:52 PM

iPhone Plz.
enmaku

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 08:46:39 PM

Left it running for 9 hours last night. 4KB data footprint...
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 08:52:08 PM

Has anyone been able to get this to do any more than spin?  Mine has been running since yesterday, has a 22 meg footprint, and still hasn't seen the coins that I sent it.  I'm using a Samsung Intercept, but it doesn't force close like Bitcoin Wallet did.

How large was your data footprint by the time it stopped spinning?

Sadly, I haven't tracked the data footprint (unlimited plan here), but the total file size is about 14megs for the block chain, and 24.19 megs for the whole thing
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 08:54:24 PM

The force close is only because there was an incompatible wallet format change. Just remove all data with the app manager, and you'll be set.

FYI, I just implemented a progress in percent for block chain sync (see notification bar).

(https://market.android.com/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet)
enmaku

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 09:17:04 PM

BTW, "Bitcoin Wallet" works just fine on the exact same phone. Granted, testnet's blockchain is MUCH smaller but still, that was a 5 second delay and this has run for hours...
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 09:29:22 PM

FYI, I just implemented a progress in percent for block chain sync (see notification bar).

(https://market.android.com/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet)

Excellent.  Now how do I safely upgrade, without nuking my phone's wallet.dat?  The market doesn't show this as having an update available.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 09:35:11 PM

Can I recommend a feature?  If the phone is out of range of the network, or otherwise does not have Internet access, could this app use a shared wifi hotspot as an intermediary without access to directly transmit the transaction from the sender to the receiver's phone?  Much like your 'Blinkendroid' app can send data to numerous phones if they are all connected to the same hotspot?  This would permit users in the same place to transact so long as there was something like a pirate box available.

http://wiki.daviddarts.com/PirateBox

Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 09:47:29 PM

Can I recommend a feature?  If the phone is out of range of the network, or otherwise does not have Internet access, could this app use a shared wifi hotspot as an intermediary without access to directly transmit the transaction from the sender to the receiver's phone?  Much like your 'Blinkendroid' app can send data to numerous phones if they are all connected to the same hotspot?

Excellent idea? Are you aware of a standard?

I would think about transmitting the receiving peers address in the QR code, but then again the BitcoinJ framework currently does not allow incoming connections. I'll work towards it.
HanRuien

Activity: 22

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 11:50:39 PM

I have this app on my galaxy, Tons of potential.  however there is a disclaimer on the bottom of

WARNING: this is entirely experimental. you *will* lose your Bitcoins associated with this wallet! Use at your own risk, and use only with small amounts of bitcoins.

that makes me very wary of doing anything with it.
bitcoinandroid (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:06:58 AM

This is kinda cool, Wired just ran a piece on it.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/07/bitcoin-android-app/

Am I wrong or do they have this part backwards??

When you want to transfer Bitcoins to another account, a QR code pops up on your smartphone’s screen. The other user simply scans the QR code with his or her phone, and the Bitcoins are transferred to the second phone’s account.

The phone that 'pops up' a QR code would be the receiver.
The person scanning a QR code would be the sender.

You're right, they have it backwards Smiley
bitcoinandroid (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:07:20 AM

This is really sweet. It's exactly the kind of thing that will bring Bitcoin to the masses, making transactions really simple.

Thanks for your continued work on this OP.  Grin

Thank you!!
Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:05:52 AM

I installed it and it took forever to download the blockchain. I had sent two small transactions while it was downloading, and they finally showed up when it finished downloading. So now I wanted to see how instant the transactions were once it was up to speed. So I sent another transaction, it has 159 confirms on my computer, it's been over 24 hours, but it still hasn't shown up on my phone. In addition, I've sent two transactions from my phone to my computer, and they haven't shown up on either. The little circle is spinning (and has been for some time) but I don't know why. The blockchain file doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. I'm using an LG Optimus.
bitcartel

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:23:29 AM

Awesome. Increadible.
 I expect that people at Google are going to make something even more valuerable with bitcoins...
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 03:58:43 AM

My bitcoin wallet loss has finally prompted me to root my android (glad I did, and I guess something good came out of the loss). On a rooted android, it is possible to use Titanium Backup to back up the wallet and export the wallet file. Tested by wiping my bitcoin app and all associated files, reinstalling, restoring backup, and my coins are still in there. The wallet file is called prodnet.wallet btw, and is stored in the \data\data\com.bitcoinandroid\files folder. That folder is inaccessible unless your phone is rooted. It would be very usefull to be able to export/backup that file to another more accessible location from within the program itself for those who aren't willing to spend 3 risky hours rooting their phone.
BusmasterDMA

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:05:47 AM

I think it's probably advisable to only keep a small amount in a mobile wallet, not only because of the current lack of encryption, but because mobile devices are more easily susceptible to theft and loss.  I suppose you could employ other measures such as regular backups and remote wipe capabilities.  But still, in most use cases, I expect a user would only want a few bitcoins on his person anyway.

Keep up the good work developers!

Bears.  Beets.  Battlestar Galactica.  Bitcoin.
RJau

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:08:40 AM

Awesome app.  This is why I wish I had an android phone.  Is there anything like this available for iphone?
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 07:39:03 PM

There is a solution to the theft-of-phone problem.

Provided there is any sort of password (i.e. one that would need hours rather than seconds to crack); what you would do is store a copy of the private keys on your home computer (or any other place really), then if the phone got stolen, you leg it back to your home computer as fast as possible and move all the coins to an address not on the phone.

This is actually one of the biggest advantages of bitcoin, I think.  If your real wallet gets stolen, with actual cash in, it's game over.  At least with bitcoin you've got a chance to steal it back before it gets spent.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: