Bitcoin Forum
August 30, 2024, 10:20:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reload Casascius physical coins?  (Read 703 times)
spikejnz (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 03:53:30 PM

Hey, I've been a long time lurker but never posted. Been mining on GPU since 2011, received my 7.5 GH/s Jalapeno two months back and I've been grinding on that since.

Anyway, I have a physical Casascius coin that I bought back when they were like $10/BTC that I cashed out when it hit $150/BTC. Is there any way to reload that coin so I have a physical backup coin I can keep in my safety deposit box or something?

Thanks!
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2013, 04:01:53 PM

That would not be a very simple thing as you would need a new *sticker* (that could be considered as safe) and who would create that (that could be trusted)?

Better to just store your Bitcoin offline and keep the coin as a souvenir I think.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
spikejnz (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 06:19:21 PM

Thanks! Yeah I figured that was the case. I'm apprehensive of reloading it as it stands given that the tamper evident sticker is...well, tampered with. I wonder if he sells stickers by themselves? I'll likely just print a paper wallet and throw it in the safety deposit box.

Now I'm debating keeping my Jalapeno or selling it. I could use the money to pay off my credit cards for sure. The wife would sure appreciate that!
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:10:02 PM

You can reload the coin simply by sending bitcoins to its address (the one that is public and visible even before removing hologram sticker). The only problem is that private key on your coin is already exposed. So this coin will not be trusted by others (even if stamped by some your secure sicker). But i can serve as perfect backup for yourself (assuming nobody knows your exposed private key) or for someone who trusts you personally.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: