Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 07:58:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $5K to spend  (Read 484 times)
BTC22 (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:00:09 AM

Looking to get a rig. Thinking 3 or 4 1080 Ti cards to start for now...unless AMD is better for ETH? Either way, let me know. I have a question about the CPU and motherboard. For the CPU, should I be looking at just Celeron or i3 maybe? I don't know to much about motherboards, but came across this one  ASRock H110 Pro BTC+. Overkill or should I go with something else? Thanks.
Junkbarman

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:02:44 AM

I think the amd cards can duel mine, but are harder to optimize them compared to the nvidia cards. Just my thoughts.
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:03:35 AM

I think the amd cards can duel mine, but are harder to optimize them compared to the nvidia cards. Just my thoughts.

Lay it on me. I don't want to just get "what everyone else has" just to start mining. I want to do right.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 03:09:24 AM

Looking to get a rig. Thinking 3 or 4 1080 Ti cards to start for now...unless AMD is better for ETH? Either way, let me know. I have a question about the CPU and motherboard. For the CPU, should I be looking at just Celeron or i3 maybe? I don't know to much about motherboards, but came across this one  ASRock H110 Pro BTC+. Overkill or should I go with something else? Thanks.

The 1080ti is usually not the best choice if you wish to mine Ethereum. However, you could mine an equihash coin (such as Zcash) and exchange it for ETH. If you can get your hands on a Vega 56 or 64 at a reasonable price, those do well mining cryptonight coins (such as Electroneum and Monero).
If you are set on mining ETH, the RX 580/570/480/470 cards are typical choices. The GTX 1080ti will outperform them, but the performance difference on ETH is hardly worth the additional costs.

Pentium processors are preferred for dedicated mining rigs. Celerons *usually* do fine, but some mining software may require more CPU use than others. An i3 will do fine, but isn't worth paying much extra for, unless you have a plan to use it outside of GPU mining alone.

For a 4-card rig, the H110 Pro BTC+ will work, but is probably overkill. The main reason to consider it would be to prepare for future expansion, or if non-mining ATX motherboards with 4+ PCIe slots (there are plenty) are no cheaper.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:16:30 AM

ASRock H110 pro BTC+ is the current best mining motherboard for rig density IMO. Very easy to get going out of the box. Since the slots are so close, you do need to cover the back of the riser x1 connectors with electrical tape to prevent them shorting out on the USB connector of the one next to it. Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580's are the best cards in cost/hash for Ethash and are excellent dual mining cards that run cool. 30+ MH/s ETH + 850+ MH/s DCR @ 130-140 W dual mining after a simple Polaris Bios Editor 'one click timing patch' Bios mod.
Sledge0001

Activity: 600
Merit: 152

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 03:35:05 AM

ASRock H110 pro BTC+ is the current best mining motherboard for rig density IMO. Very easy to get going out of the box. Since the slots are so close, you do need to cover the back of the riser x1 connectors with electrical tape to prevent them shorting out on the USB connector of the one next to it. Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580's are the best cards in cost/hash for Ethash and are excellent dual mining cards that run cool. 30+ MH/s ETH + 850+ MH/s DCR @ 130-140 W dual mining after a simple Polaris Bios Editor 'one click timing patch' Bios mod.

I've got 4 rigs running on the ASRock H110 Pro platform. It's a solid board but agree electric tape between the PCI risers is necessary.

All 4 of my rigs run 8 GPU's. 3 rigs are running the 8x 1060 3GB cards which produces 18-24 a day on Nicehash and the 1 is running 8 x 1080 Cards and that's anywhere from 32-48 a day.

Best ROI would be the 8 x 1060 3GB cards in my opinion plus the power consumption / heat is much lower. You should be able to build one of these under $3600 bucks...
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:41:15 AM

If you intend for ETH specifically some other cards are much better on price per hashing on ETH then 1080.   But it depends on what you intend to mine as 1080's do mine certain coins very well.   

ASRock H110 Pro BTC+ are great besides the electrical tape fix since slots are so close.   That being said they have went up in value to 2x retail or more in some cases to get one.  But I do really like this board personally and worked great for me.
Sledge0001

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 03:43:42 AM

If you intend for ETH specifically some other cards are much better on price per hashing on ETH then 1080.   But it depends on what you intend to mine as 1080's do mine certain coins very well.   

ASRock H110 Pro BTC+ are great besides the electrical tape fix since slots are so close.   That being said they have went up in value to 2x retail or more in some cases to get one.  But I do really like this board personally and worked great for me.

The H110 pro boards can still be found reasonably priced on Aliexpress they just take a week to 10 days to arrive and don't ship with a battery....
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:54:18 AM

I've got 4 rigs running on the ASRock H110 Pro platform. It's a solid board but agree electric tape between the PCI risers is necessary.

All 4 of my rigs run 8 GPU's. 3 rigs are running the 8x 1060 3GB cards which produces 18-24 a day on Nicehash and the 1 is running 8 x 1080 Cards and that's anywhere from 32-48 a day.

Best ROI would be the 8 x 1060 3GB cards in my opinion plus the power consumption / heat is much lower. You should be able to build one of these under $3600 bucks...

The 1060 is not as profitable as the RX 580 for Ethash. Even if you find one with Samsung memory, it's $2 per day on ETH or maybe $2.15 if you dual mine. The RX 580 is $3 per day dual mining. I also never use NiceHah to mine. I mine and hold and wait until it's the best time to sell, that way I get to keep the appreciation, so the $3 per day is really $6+ per day by the time I sell.

http://whattomine.com/coins/151-eth-ethash?utf8=%E2%9C%93&hr=24&p=80&fee=3&cost=0.1&hcost=0.0&commit=Calculate

http://whattomine.com/merged_coins/1-eth-dcr?utf8=%E2%9C%93&hr_eth=30&fee_eth=3&hr_dcr=850&fee_dcr=3&p=140&cost=0.1&commit=Calculate
VyprBTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 04:20:54 AM

You'll make way more throwing it on the coin than mining.

If you want to mine, throw 80-90% on a coin, mine with the other 10-20% in hardware.

Unless you just want a hobby. Then throw all 5k on a rig.
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 04:49:21 AM

You'll make way more throwing it on the coin than mining.

If you want to mine, throw 80-90% on a coin, mine with the other 10-20% in hardware.

Unless you just want a hobby. Then throw all 5k on a rig.

I don't need to spend the whole thing.
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 04:57:28 AM

There's so much information on mining that I don't know what to do with it all. So for the GPU, the consensus is AMD?
Sledge0001

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 05:40:31 AM

I stick with Nvidia cards and Nicehash as it is the easiest way to mine and make money. Many hate it and yes they were hacked but I personally love their Nvidia software it really is the easiest thing ever to setup and run.
ibinsad

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:25:53 AM

I suggest to invest in Nvidia 1080ti for energy efficiency and density.

Or if you want to spend less get the Nvidia 1070ti for best performances in few algos.

These Gpus perform better than AMD in mostly algos but for example if you want mining cryptonight algo get AMD Vega 64 it performs double than 1080ti.
Junkbarman

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:36:03 AM

If you want to know what to mine and make the most money go Here

or

It you just want to be paid straight bitcoin go to nicehash and download their miner, enter a btc addy and start earning btc daily/weekly/monthly
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 05:52:19 PM

Or if you want to spend less get the Nvidia 1070ti for best performances in few algos.

These Gpus perform better than AMD in mostly algos but for example if you want mining cryptonight algo get AMD Vega 64 it performs double than 1080ti.

Sorry, are you saying the 1070 TI is better for algos?
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:07:15 PM

I would go with the 1070ti unless you only want to mine ETH or Cryptonight.  If you want to mine Equihash, Lyra, or others then go with the 1070ti, efficient and powerful.
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:35:38 PM

I would go with the 1070ti unless you only want to mine ETH or Cryptonight.  If you want to mine Equihash, Lyra, or others then go with the 1070ti, efficient and powerful.

But it would be good for ETH if I primarily did that?
hi_too

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:53:29 PM

The very long answer... shortened!
Very well done. Stick to these info.
ibinsad

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 07:37:33 PM

Sorry, are you saying the 1070 TI is better for algos?

Yes the model 1070ti is better for mostly algos with optimized miner.

AMD is better for ethash or cryptonight algos.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: