Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:35:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kidnappers Release Crypto Analyst After $1M Bitcoin Ransom Paid  (Read 133 times)
mybtcasset (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 08:27:13 AM

The kidnappers who abducted an EXMO Finance employee in Ukraine have reportedly released him after they were paid a ransom of $1 million in Bitcoin, according to a report from Reuters. The victim, blockchain expert Pavel Lerner, had been seized by a group of masked assailants on December 26..

EXMO released a statement on its website that confirmed that Lerner is now safe and recovering from the ordeal: “At the moment, he is safe, and there was no physical harm inflicted on him. Nevertheless, Pavel is currently in a state of major stress, therefore, he will not provide any official comments in the coming days.”.

The company has also stressed that Lerner’s role at EXMO did not provide him with access to user financial assets, and that the exchange’s platform continues to operate normally. The online statement noted that the abduction story has “overgrown with rumors that might tamper with the official investigation” and suggested that the company would not be offering further comment on the matter “in the nearest future.”.

Officials in Kiev have acknowledged that the police are currently investigating a kidnapping that took place in that city’s Obolon district, but have yet to confirm whether Lerner was the victim..

https://dcebrief.com/kidnappers-release-crypto-analyst-after-1m-bitcoin-ransom-paid/
Nilda

Activity: 336
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 03:19:57 AM

No marked money or tracking device on the ransom paid. That’s what makes bitcoins very atrractive to kidnappers. And most police organizational don’t yet have the technical expertise to match those hired by crime syndicates.

fjtropepe

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 03:23:26 AM

It is going to get worse.
yojodojo21

Activity: 420
Merit: 171

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 03:32:43 AM

The Stated Kidnappers are awesome, they want bitcoin as a ransom for life. This is how the bad people getting worse than ever they are not asking for visual money instead they look for electric currency so that there will be no turning back of money in case they will be trace by the police officers. i really don't know if this news can help the forum, but i'm actually interested about it. since the word Bitcoin came in.
fjtropepe

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 03:34:31 AM

The Stated Kidnappers are awesome, they want bitcoin as a ransom for life. This is how the bad people getting worse than ever they are not asking for visual money instead they look for electric currency so that there will be no turning back of money in case they will be trace by the police officers. i really don't know if this news can help the forum, but i'm actually interested about it. since the word Bitcoin came in.

Should have asked for Verge.  Grin
amaydel

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

DOMINIUM - Decentralised property platform

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 03:42:17 AM

This is what one of the scenarios we could see as bitcoin being used in illegal activities or crimes. This may put stain to bitcoin's reputation as it may force governments to ban cryptocurrencies for good. I believe that it will just be getting worse since that will serve as an example and motivate others to do as well. The question is, how would the government trace this criminals if they are only left with super anonymous transactions in the blockchain?

D O M I N I U M      │    PRE-ITO WHITELIST is OPEN   [ REGISTER NOW ]    │        WHITEPAPER 
Decentralised, regulated, property financing, property listing and property management platform
♦     ANN THREAD     FACEBOOK     TWITTER     TELEGRAM     YOUTUBE     MEDIUM     LINKEDIN     INSTAGRAM     ♦
fjtropepe

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 03:44:07 AM

This is what one of the scenarios we could see as bitcoin being used in illegal activities or crimes. This may put stain to bitcoin's reputation as it may force governments to ban cryptocurrencies for good. I believe that it will just be getting worse since that will serve as an example and motivate others to do as well. The question is, how would the government trace this criminals if they are only left with super anonymous transactions in the blockchain?

With the current backlog of bitcoin transactions in the system, I would be more concerned at the length of time one must wait after paying the ransom.
Btc_1856

Activity: 1540
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 03:46:33 AM

No marked money or tracking device on the ransom paid. That’s what makes bitcoins very atrractive to kidnappers. And most police organizational don’t yet have the technical expertise to match those hired by crime syndicates.

See we don't know exactly what was happened to him because for what purpose they kidnapped him. There will be lot of communication gap between us. Now most people are demanding in terms of bitcoin only, we don't know where this will go.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: