Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:52:44 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anonymity using TOR, DeepOnion vs Verge. Which will come out on top?  (Read 176 times)
Ebenezar64 (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 14

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 09:41:21 AM

With the surge in Verge popularity I wanted to create an article comparing Verge and DeepOnion. The surge in Verge might be an indication to what can happen to DeepOnion in Q2 after the introduction of DeepSend and Smart Contracts but i wanted to make a more in depth analysis from a privacy coin perspective. Feel free to visit the article at Steemit: Anonymity using TOR, DeepOnion vs Verge. Which will come out on top? or check it out directly below:

I don't think anyone in the crypto investing space could have missed the huge surge that Verge has had in the last few weeks smashing in to the top 20 cryptos on CoinMarketCap. I must admit that before a few weeks ago I hadn't really given much thought to Verge and the features it offers. Imagine my surprise when I started to look into Verge and reading things like:
  • "Verge is a secure and anonymous cryptocurrency, built with a focus on privacy"
  • "Verge uses multiple anonymity-centric networks such as Tor and I2P. The IP addresses of the users are obfuscated and the transactions are completely untraceable."
My first thought was: "Doesn't this sound a lot like DeepOnion?!". In order to figure this out I dived into the "Black Paper" of Verge to do a comparison between the two.

IP protection and anonymous transactions
IP protection is in both cases achieved by integration into the Tor network. Anonymous transactions is also something that both coins support albeit in different ways.
Verge ensures this by supporting IPv6 and I2P transactions, to read more about this and why it is anonymous, check out the Black Paper.
DeepOnion plans to ensures anonymous transactions using the feature DeepSend which is based on a tried and tested method, first developed by SuperCoin. For more information about this feature please check out this post on DeepSend.

Transaction Speed
Verge seems to have the possibility of higher transaction speeds at 100 tx/sec compared to DeepOnions 62.5 tx/sec which could be seen as a small plus in favour of Verge. But both coins are faster than LiteCoin (56 tx/sec) and even when looking at a global usecase I don't see a major drawback with DeepOnion having i slightly lower transaction speed.

Mobile Wallet
Both DeepOnion and Verge are close to releasing their first Android Wallet. Here Verge is slighty ahead since they are claiming that their I2P Android Wallet will be able to support anonymous mobile transactions. That is something that will not be available for DeepOnion until the launch of DeepSend, which is planned in Q2 of 2018. This release, together with the Wraith Protocol supporting both a public and private ledger, are the reasons Verge has been surging in the last few weeks. But maybe this is a precurser to what can happen to DeepOnion when DeepSend is released?! Something to keep in mind!

Smart Contracts
Another thing DeepOnion has coming in Q2 is the support of Smart Contracts. Not much is know as of yet, exactly how this will be implemented, so it is a wait and see game in the case of DeepOnion. Verge has some more information regarding their Smart Contract implementation, they are planning to use so called: RSK Smart Contracts that will run in an independent blockchain without it's own token . The Verge Black Paper mentions something interesting which seems to imply that in the future the RSK independent blockchain might be able to support up to 2000 tx/sec using 2nd layer technology. There is no information exactly when this can be expected but I felt it worth noting.

Conclusions
Overall I found a lot of similarities between the two coins in regards to IP protection and anonymous transactions. Also in the plans for future developments, such as Andriod Wallet and Smart Contracts. It is clear that Verge is slightly ahead in the development stage than DeepOnion, which explains the difference in market cap evaluation. But just looking at the feature set there is not much difference between the two, except maybe for slightly higher transactions speeds for Verge. There is no doubt that Verge currently should have (and has: $2.2B) a higher evaluation than DeepOnion ($30M) but what is going to happen after Q2 with the launch of DeepSend and Smart Contracts is someting I am looking forward to seeing!

As a final note of interest is that there are some unique features that DeepOnion has that I am really excited about. The features I am refering to are: DeepVault, VoteCentral and PoS staking (starting at 10% annual and decreasing over time). Verge also has some interesting unique features in: Atomic Swaps, Stealth Addressing and Multi-signiture Support.

I could go into depth about these features but that was not the goal of this article and would make it too long a read. It was to compare DeepOnion to Verge more from a privacy coin perspective. If you want to find out more about the DeepOnion features check out my other articles on Steemit or visit the DeepOnion Homepage and for the Verge features you can find all the information in the Black Paper

Final Grading
  • Verge: 4 out 5 stars. Black Paper is very well written, the technological base is very sound and it for sure a top contender among the privacy coins. The already high evaluation and the feeling that I am missing some more unique features, such as the Wraith Protocol, causes it not quite to reach higher.
  • DeepOnion:As is currently it can't compete with Verge and I would have to give it a lower grade, but you can't just look at the current state. You must also look at the potential it has and in my opinion it is a 4.5 out of 5 star evaluation. With current market cap as low as it is, it's unique features and with the upcoming releases for Q2 I can definetly see this coin blasting into the top 20 cryptos within the next six months. The only reason this isn't a full 5/5 is because there is still some missing information regarding the Smart Contracts implementation. This might be cleared up in the upcoming Whitepaper release and then I see this as a full 5/5 stars.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord   ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 09:44:08 AM

TOR "anonimity" is old as balls. For example, Joincoin's first block was mined in 2014-08-11 and I believe it had built in TOR "anonimity" from the start. And it's probably not the first.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Ebenezar64 (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 11:11:28 PM

Tor anonymity is "old news"?! That is something I have to disagree with, just look at Verge having an evaluation of over $2B and smaish into top 20. That is not "old news". There might have been coins adopting it earlier but it seems as though it isn't until now that it is getting the support it deserves. Maybe it is because of the Net Neutrality law getting repealed in the states but Tor integration is very much "in" right now imo.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Alpha0One1

Activity: 588
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 07:56:42 AM

I am closely following DeepOnion as it is very interesting. Their current airdrop process is a good way to minimize scammers abusing the airdrop. It also gives incentives to hodlers.

I will check Verge as it just jumped out of nowhere into the top 20 list.
runner-yc-0621

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 08:16:04 AM

Deeponion have a great potential of growth
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 11:21:10 AM

Tor anonymity is "old news"?! That is something I have to disagree with, just look at Verge having an evaluation of over $2B and smaish into top 20. That is not "old news". There might have been coins adopting it earlier but it seems as though it isn't until now that it is getting the support it deserves. Maybe it is because of the Net Neutrality law getting repealed in the states but Tor integration is very much "in" right now imo.

That's just dumb. Advertising with TOR "anonimity" is like advertising that it's a mineable coin; it's absolutely nothing new and only newbies who doesn't know any better gets excited about it.

Not your keys, not your coins!
abduljacklu

Activity: 235
Merit: 11

ENTRY cryptocurrency

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 11:34:33 AM

XSPEC is a good choice too,i am not impressed with the two you mentioned,you can look deep into XSPECs features and technology you will find what i am saying

MISS_nSTASSY

Activity: 392
Merit: 105

Vena.Network

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 02:17:17 PM

So, Verge and Deep Onion are both very similar to each other but verge is 1500 satoshi when deep onion is 50k satoshi. What means that verge can get new highs. Same time verge has 2155m$ capitalization when deep onion only 31m what means DO can easily get a higer price though. So both have equal conditions, am I right?

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       WhitePaper       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       Vena Network       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       Announce       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
―――――       Luoshu Agreement - an Open Agreement For Asset Financing and Tokenization       ―――――
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾      Telegram    ‾‾    Github    ‾‾         Join Our Bounty         ‾‾    Twitter    ‾‾    FaceBook      ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Ebenezar64 (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 09:09:56 AM

So, Verge and Deep Onion are both very similar to each other but verge is 1500 satoshi when deep onion is 50k satoshi. What means that verge can get new highs. Same time verge has 2155m$ capitalization when deep onion only 31m what means DO can easily get a higer price though. So both have equal conditions, am I right?

Equal conditions?! Well that is hard to say. As I mention in the article Verge is maybe a bit ahead in the deveopment stage but I certanly see the same, if not greater, potential in DeepOnion as in Verge. And at 30-35M in market cap that is way to low for a coin that is supporting TOR network integration. I heard one YouTuber mention that that should be at least 300-400M market cap only for TOR integration.

Visin

Activity: 436
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 09:11:43 AM

They both have very high prices, I would be pretty skeptical about investing in those coins now. It's not so simple.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Ebenezar64 (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 08:20:47 AM

They both have very high prices, I would be pretty skeptical about investing in those coins now. It's not so simple.

How do you mean they both have a high price right now? DeepOnion is at a market cap of about 35M and Verge is at 2,2B. That is a difference of about 700x difference in market cap.

Considering they might be competing in the TOR market in the future, have similar technological basis DeepOnion is much cheaper than Verge. I can't say that DeepOnion for sure will go to 2.2B I am just saying that it has the same potential as Verge so it is still very cheap imo.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: