Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:54:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help - Armory won't sync with Bitcoin Core - pathing?  (Read 370 times)
fbaymay

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 01:30:07 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2018, 03:26:13 PM by fbaymay

Thanks @goatpig
what does run "BitcoinQt manually" mean? launch Bitcoin Core from my start menu or shortcut?
Do i leave "auto bitcoind in File > Settings" unchecked for this step as well?

I tried your suggestion (deleted database folder) a couple times and did not get the databases on Armory to scan properly and Armory stayed "offline" the whole time. The only main difference was the Armory launched and shut down seamlesly without me having to kill it or get the (not responding) error

I'm facing same trouble here I guess.
Armory opens just fine, everything is updated (Armory RC1 and Bitcoin core), but it´s taking a really long time to load the balance (and doesn't load after all). Actually I went to sleep and this morning I saw the balance, but after close the wallet and open it again, it's not loading.

For the past hour has been stucked on "Preparing database".

Here is a picture and the log right after

https://goo. gl/tca81j

https://pastebin.com/ms0Skav8

I tried to insert the code mentioned above but no luck so far.  --satoshi-datadir=D:/Bitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 10:07:24 PM

Thanks @goatpig
what does run "BitcoinQt manually" mean? launch Bitcoin Core from my start menu or shortcut?
Do i leave "auto bitcoind in File > Settings" unchecked for this step as well?
Launch Core from either the shortcut or the menu.
Yes leave that unchecked.

I tried to insert the code mentioned above but no luck so far.  --satoshi-datadir=D:/Bitcoin
Yeah, that probably isn't going to work for you - While this is a common problem, we're somewhat tailoring the instructions to Marla_H here.
I'll take a look at your logs and post in your existing thread, ok?
Marla_H (OP)

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 12:06:29 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2018, 01:16:25 PM by Marla_H

problem solved - almost!
it loaded properly and i saw my Bitcoin in the wallet
However - next time i launched - same problem... Undecided

PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 04:18:14 PM

Was Bitcoin Core still running when you launched the second time?
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 01:53:55 PM

not sure...
what would the proper launch and quit protocol be in terms of Bitcoin Core and Armory?
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 11:05:06 PM

not sure...
what would the proper launch and quit protocol be in terms of Bitcoin Core and Armory?
So, that setting I had you uncheck? That means you need to manage Bitcoin Core yourself, rather than just launching Armory and having it sort things out. One extra step, but I've found it a lot more robust and is my go to when things aren't working automatically for people - but you need Bitcoin Core to be running for Armory to go online.

So, usual process for me:
Start Bitcoin Core from the shortcut (which loads up the Graphical User Interface [GUI]). Wait for the splash screen to finish verifying blocks.
Start Armory.
Wait for everything to catch up and then, usually, Armory will pop up and say everything is in sync and online.

To shutdown:
Quit Armory. Optionally check if ArmoryDB has closed too (It doesn't seem to shut down if it is busy)
Quit Bitcoin Core.

Does that help?
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 04:17:53 PM

was able to relaunch succesfully and all is running ok
will try launch and shut down a couple of times to see what works best
Many thanks, again, to all
 Smiley
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 09:53:56 AM

ok - quick sub-question
If my online wallet is synced, shouldnt i be able to see the same wallet on the "offline" version, when launching "offline"?
as of now, it appears empty...
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:38:06 PM

ok - quick sub-question
If my online wallet is synced, shouldnt i be able to see the same wallet on the "offline" version, when launching "offline"?
as of now, it appears empty...
Glad you're up and running.
Are you talking about on the same pc here? Or having a separate offline & online computer?
The wallet itself should be there, but the balance won't display unless it is online.
Marla_H (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:57:24 AM

yes - same PC
so if the balance wont display - what is on offline wallter useful for?
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 04:27:03 PM

yes - same PC
so if the balance wont display - what is on offline wallter useful for?

An offline wallet is the entire reason one normally chooses to use Armory. It's a security model where your private keys are never allowed to reside on a networked computer.

If you don't know what an offline wallet is, why are you using Armory?

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
PhoenixFire

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 04:28:58 PM

Ninja'd by Holliday but posting anyway:

Generally an offline wallet is used as part of a cold storage setup.
You have the full wallet on an offline pc and a stripped down "watch-only" wallet on the online pc that can see your balance on the various addresses. You create unsigned transactions on the online pc, sign them on the offline pc, then broadcast on the online pc.
Helps keep your private keys secure, as well as the coins they control.

The old website has a decent blurb on it that still applies: https://www.bitcoinarmory.com/cold-storage/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: