Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:06:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: dual booting windows 7 and a mining distro using 2 ssds  (Read 997 times)
smeagol (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 10:30:33 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2013, 02:09:09 AM by smeagol

Is it possible for me to dual boot windows 7 and a mining distro using 2 solid state drives?
If so, can you give me a link to a guide or something?  Thank you very much.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PEBKAC

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 11:35:03 AM

Just install your mining distro first, then do your Win7 install.
Win7 is smart enough to understand that there is another boot-drive and will set-up multiboot automatically.
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 03:20:01 PM

I guess my question is, why are you wanting to dual boot?  Why arent you just running your miners on Win7?  Curious.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
smeagol (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 06:39:32 PM

I guess my question is, why are you wanting to dual boot?  Why arent you just running your miners on Win7?  Curious.

linux is better for mining.
I'm using windows for work.
Zanatos666

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 06:55:01 PM

I have never found that Linux was better than Windows for mining, they are the same for me.  Usually for most people it comes down to familiarity/ease of use, and cost.  Minus the cost of hardware, if you dont already have a Windows box running or a copy of Windows laying around, and have to install a OS, then free is always better.  Yes, there are the inherent Windows crashes and things, but take that out of account and I have never seen any performance increases/decreases in hashing rate from one OS over another.

How would you say its better for mining?  Maybe there is something I have missed all of these years.

Hephaestus

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 08:48:37 PM

I have never found that Linux was better than Windows for mining, they are the same for me.  Usually for most people it comes down to familiarity/ease of use, and cost.  Minus the cost of hardware, if you dont already have a Windows box running or a copy of Windows laying around, and have to install a OS, then free is always better.  Yes, there are the inherent Windows crashes and things, but take that out of account and I have never seen any performance increases/decreases in hashing rate from one OS over another.

How would you say its better for mining?  Maybe there is something I have missed all of these years.

Linux will let you install it to a USB flash drive, while Windows won't.  Flash drives are cheaper than hard drives or SSDs, and use very little power.
Plus, Windows isn't free.
Zanatos666

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 08:56:26 PM

Linux will let you install it to a USB flash drive, while Windows won't.  Flash drives are cheaper than hard drives or SSDs, and use very little power.
Plus, Windows isn't free.

That was my exact point, Linux is more versatile, no doubt, but in terms of purely hashing performance, there is no difference between them.

HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 02:27:38 PM

It clearly isn't.  You're wasting you time even bothering with this idea, just mine on Windows, saves rebooting and messing about.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: