Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 01:14:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IRS taxing cryptocurrency trades starting Jan. 1st.  (Read 520 times)
bitgangsta (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 02:04:37 PM

With the new tax bill recently being passed, it is reported that we will be required to pay tax on all cryptocurrency to cryptocurrency trades.  Does anybody know how much tax we would have to pay on trades.  How do you even calculate that?

https://townhall.com/columnists/lindsaymarie/2017/12/29/brace-yourselves-cryptocurrency-investors-taxes-are-coming-n2428153

Footy Cash: The Fantasy Sports Coin With Masternodes
http://footycash.com/
https://twitter.com/Footy_Cash
lofegs

Activity: 966
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 02:55:16 PM

With the new tax bill recently being passed, it is reported that we will be required to pay tax on all cryptocurrency to cryptocurrency trades.  Does anybody know how much tax we would have to pay on trades.  How do you even calculate that?

https://townhall.com/columnists/lindsaymarie/2017/12/29/brace-yourselves-cryptocurrency-investors-taxes-are-coming-n2428153

Which countries will follow this... And obviously some countries are working on regulations, maybe restrictions.

bitgangsta (OP)

Activity: 99

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 02:57:15 PM

Well the IRS would be US, so it should at least affect the US exchanges.

Footy Cash: The Fantasy Sports Coin With Masternodes
http://footycash.com/
https://twitter.com/Footy_Cash
Woz2000

Activity: 74
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:10:34 PM

In the US (as with most countries) the IRS or whoever is the taxing authority requires you to report all income regardless of how it is derived.  And thus you are supposed to pay tax on cryptocurrency trades even prior to 2018.  Just because tax is not withheld doesn't mean its not owed.

Look at the recent news on the IRS and Coinbase (IRS tried to get all names and records and judge ruled they can get records for those with trades exceeding $20k for the year).  Might be a good idea to report your income now before they catch up as the penalties are quite high.

Just an FYI...

With the new tax bill recently being passed, it is reported that we will be required to pay tax on all cryptocurrency to cryptocurrency trades.  Does anybody know how much tax we would have to pay on trades.  How do you even calculate that?

CryptoAlphaStar

Activity: 574
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 05:28:37 PM

If I am getting this right, if I invest in a shitcoin, it moons 100x and I sell for bitcoin, I have to pay taxes on the 100x surge? This is an outright steal, because when BTC goes down, all the alts go down.
Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 05:46:38 PM

It was required before the change. Unless you are meticulously keeping track and filing the specific forms for like-kind exchanges, you aren't doing it properly anyway.
Changing from one currency to another is a taxable event and your capital or income gains would need to be reported. Changing a word here or there doesn't change that.
You would still owe taxes normally based on your capital or income gains, just the trade itself is a taxable event so they must be reported based on that event. Otherwise if you did not make an exchange, you do not need to report capital gains until you do make an exchange.

It makes it more difficult for people speculating because they may have gains one year and losses the next, and that makes filing even more complicated (but this was the case before the law change). People who are new to complicated tax schemes are just getting filled in on how these things actually work.
QFT

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 05:51:14 PM

Sounds kind of ridiculous and is most likely going to ruin it for part of the americans.
AltsBoom

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 05:56:24 PM

Wow that is an insane law if it upholds and gets passed. What you really have to wonder is are other countries going to follow this outlandish law or leave it to the USA alone? Also at the same time we must ask would they allow deductions of tax loss if we lose? I sincerely think not but man am I glad I don't have to deal with this stuff on a daily basis, you guys doing cryptocurrencies in USA are legends.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion

▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄██████▄
 ▄█▀▀▀▀▀█▄      ▄███▀▀   ▀██
 ▀       ▀     ██▀
    ▄███▄          ▄█████▄
   ███████ █      █████████
           █
          █     █▄            ▄█
█▄       █      ▀██▄▄      ▄▄██▀
 ███▄▄▄▀▀█▄▄▄███▀ ▀▀██████████
  ██ ██▄ ▀▀▄███▄    ▄▄▄██  ██
   ██ ▀█████▀ ▀██████▀▀▀  ██
    ██                ▄▄  ██
     ██  ▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀    ██
      ██    ███
       ██   ███
        ██   ███
Highly Secure
Instant Confirmations
Secure Wallet
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
cryptodrei

Activity: 207

The future is your Genome

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 05:58:37 PM

Sorry to hear that,US citizens deserves better,cryptocurrencies shouldnt be regulated because the main aim of crypto is to counter centralization this is bad to our community.

Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:01:37 PM

In simple terms, as an american:

1) You are required to file income taxes for all gains based on speculation. You don't have to pay tax on transacting between currencies, but it is a "taxable event" as far as capital gains are considered.
2) Capital gains are only required to be filed when a taxable event happens - i.e. you convert one currency to another or to fiat. So if you held bitcoin for 5 years then traded it for ETH, you are required to file your capital gains on those bitcoins.

Distinguishing between whether capital gains or income taxes are owed is pretty easy, but talk to an accountant.
All this was the case prior to 2018. If you have traded frequently you probably owe income tax. If you held for a long time and converted to anything else, you owe capital gains. There was no cryptocurrency exemption prior to this and there isn't one now.
jerry0

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:19:32 PM

I have been doing this for a while.  But the thing is this is way too complicated.

First off, imagine someone is receiving/sending btc all the time.  Like someone might send them 5 dollars worth of btc.  Other people send 1 dollar etc.  Or you send small amounts etc.  You are suppose to use either fifo, lifo or weighted average etc.  How in the world is it possible to do it if you have say 50 transactions where you send/receive like 0.00003 btc etc.  That would be beyond ridiculous.  You need to record every single time and check the price when you received it?  Also i watched a video on youtube where someone talked about the issue on this.  Imagine someone who daytrades and does 50 trades a day.  You want them to record how much they bought the altcoin at... which isn't that hard since bittrex and binance shows the usd price.  The issue comes when you are selling the btc for altcoin because you cannot almost all altcoins without btc.  Then when you sell the altcoin ... you can only sell for btc.  Imagine you sell 5000 shares of a coin for 1 dollar and say 3000 got filled at certain price.  Then 102 get filled at another price.  First off, you would know the price in btc because it should show in the buy/sell order history.  However, it does not show you the usd price at that time.  So how can someone even do this.  So when they are busy daytrading, everytime there is a sale, you want them to check the usd price every single time?  Imagine you sell 5000 shares of a coin for 1 dollar and it took 10 orders because it was sold at 1 dollar, 98 cents, 96 cents etc.  So basically you have to stop trading because you need to record every single time someone buys even 1 shares?  Imagine having 20 orders because certain people want 1 share or 10 shares when you have 5000 to sell.  The issue is how are you suppose to record the fifo or lifo of your btc.  I mean who can record it like this... okay sold 1 shares of altcoin for 1 dollar at 13201 usd price.  Then sold 10 shares of altcoin for 0.00 at 13230 price.  Then when you ready to buy altcoin with it, you want someone to go ... okay i bought 1000 shares of altcoin.  So using lifo... i bought 0.0000001 btc at 13201... sold it at 0.0000001 btc at 13208?  You guys can imagine how ridiculous this would get whether its fifo, lifo or whatever method you use.  This would basically be almost impossible.  You would have to spend hours a day doing this maybe.  

First off let say you got 1 btc to make it simple.  Let say you got it at 10k for the btc.  The issue is this is rarely the case as you cannot get it at an easy round number.

Now let say you buy altcoin.  But let say when you do this, the btc price is around 12500 on bittrex.  Well here is the issue.  When you sell the btc for altcoin, you are selling it at 12500 minus fees right?  Thus you pay taxes on the 2500 btc gain?  Fees are 0.25 percent so around 5 dollar fee so $2495?

Now let say you buy 12495 shares of that altcoin with that 12495 at 1 dollar each.  Later on it goes up to say 1.50.  You sell all of it and of course you cannot sell it for usd or usdt.  You only can sell it for btc.  So here... you are getting 12495 + (6247.50 - 0.25% fee) = 12495 +6231.88 = 18726.88 worth of btc.  So here... you have to pay another tax on $6231.88 profit right?

The thing here is also when you do this, let say btc is around 30k now.  If thats the case, you only get back around 0.62 btc... less btc than you started with which is 1 btc.  But here... you made total of 2495 + 6231.88 = 8726.88 profit right?

However this gets even more complicated.  Let say you now use that btc to buy another altcoin.  The issue here is it would be easier if you buy an altcoin with your entire btc balance but thats rarely the case.  Now say you buy altcoin b.  When you buy altcoin b, you have to calculate what price are selling the btc at.  How are you suppose to do that?  Say you buy 10000 shares of altcoin b at 50 cents.  Well everytime you buy a coin, even if you got it at the same price which is basically almost impossible since btc prices changes every few seconds etc, you have to pay a FEE.  So how does that fee get calculated?  Is it calculated within the buy of the altcoin?

Now the other issue is this.  After the buy, you would still have like over 0.40 btc.  So whenever you sell it for cash or altcoin, you have to put what price you sell it at.  But let say you just hold the btc and do no more trades.  So you are going to owe taxes on 8726.88 profit even though you havent cashed out anything.  I saw many people complain about this which makes sense but i do understand that a bit.  However the issue comes when what happens when say in the future you cash out your btc or say btc drops to 0... can you claim a loss?  Like imagine you were to sell the btc you have left but when you do this, you only have say 0.25 btc and price is like 10000 dollars each.  So here you would be cashing out around 2500 usd to your bank account.  Thus you lost around 16226.88 on your btc balance whether its altcoin trading or just holding btc.  So would you be allowed to claim the 16226.88 loss?  Thus would you at least get back the taxes that were paid on your 8726.88 profit in that year when you made money with trading but didnt cash out a cent to your bank account?  Because if the answer is no, then this is beyond ridiculous.  Thus if you can't carry over losses on cryptocurrencies, then this wouldn't even make any sense because you are paying taxes on gains that you did not cash out to your bank account... but if you have a loss in the next year or so and then cash out, you cant get your tax paid back?  Anyone know the answer to this?

Because if this is true, does anyone here have advice/tips to avoid something like this happening with having year of claiming capital gains but then being able to carry losses and get taxes paid back?
mautenisis

Activity: 274

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:33:10 PM

U.S citizens should file a petition to revoke this decision,cryptocurrencies are decentralized the government should stay away from our market.

NOIZ
⇐ ● A decentralized cognitive ad network ● ⇒
○ ○ ○ ➀ WEBSITEWHITEPAPERTELEGRAMTWITTERFACEBOOK ○ ○ ○
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:40:34 PM

Sounds kind of ridiculous and is most likely going to ruin it for part of the americans.

I thought this was the case too for a lot of other countries too, such as some countries in Europe (I couldn't quote the specific ones or the details, but It was something along the lines of needing to report EVERY single transaction you did ever).

So supose you go into Poloniex, trade back and fort tiny amounts worth of satoshi between altcoins... well you have to report ALL of that, even the smallest tinniest satoshi transactions! this is absolutely nuts. I wonder why they do this to themselves? their services will collapse looking at all this data.

Also the big problem that I (and a lot of other people) have is that we have lost some of our trading history on dead exchanges like Cryptsy... what do we do then? how do we report our trading history here? the exchange is dead!
Magister Magus

Activity: 328
Merit: 39

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 07:37:37 PM

In Europe we are waiting news from Bruxelles, where terrocrats are trying to find a way to tax crypto.
Of course they will partially succeed as usual people are scared.
But I think that with some care and intelligence, they'll have difficult time to catch us :-)

▂▂▃▅▇ EVO - THE WORLD OF SELF-DEVELOPMENT ▇▅▃▂▂
MEDIUM    ●  LINKEDIN  ●TELEGRAM ◄  Blockchain platform for assessing and developing human skills  ▶ TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK  ●
WHITEPAPER
jerry0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 08:32:59 PM

I was told by accountant when doing these taxes that it doesnt matter what you exchanged bitcoin for whether its altcoin or usd etc.  So i guess its not confirmed for everyone since some ppl might interpret it a bit difference as like exchange.

What if you have btc and altcoins in your bittrex account still and then withdraw it to your wallet?  But dont do any trading on bittrex?  I assume thats nothing since thats a withdraw to your wallet right? 

So if someone trades on bittrex and just does a 500 dollar trade such as btc for altcoin and then sell it when they profit say 100 dollars, they have to report it.  But the thing is, is bittrex going to report your transactions to the government?  Because even if they do, obviously that doesn't mean anything because you could have 100 dollar profit here but then lost money doing other trades with other nonus exchanges etc.  The issue here is there is no fiat on bittrex with bitcoin or altcoins.  If there were, calculating taxes would be much easier.  Also what about fees you pay when sending btc.  I still am not sure if that is suppose to count or its basically an expense.  I added it to the buy/sell of a coin etc.   Does anyone know the answer to this.
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 08:40:38 PM

get off american exchanges, one way to sidestep the issue. Until the IRS can vacuum up out of country exchanges.
At least that's my plan for now.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
pedropendukot

Activity: 196
Merit: 12

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 08:41:57 PM

This could be a bad start for the traders in U.S they should file petitions against this!

jerry0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 08:56:47 PM

My accountant mentioned i believe not 100 percent sure but he said any trade whether altcoin to altcoin is taxable.  He said like exchanges doesn't apply.

The thing is even if bittrex gives out financial info, there is no usd being traded.  So if someone does a trade for 100 dollars profit and that person doesnt report capital gains or losses, then they would have issue?
The other issue if ppl could use other exchanges and have gains or losses there.  Like someone could profit 5k on bittrex but lose 5k or more on binance.  But you are telling me that person better have some number showing for capital gains then?

What about if you dont do any trading on that date and afterwards but have bitcoin and altcoins there and dont do any trading?  What about if you withdraw your btc or altcoins to your wallet etc.  Obviously that is nothing right since you arent trading it?

Yea the thing is if they do it where they actually send you a 1099 or whatever that is, then it would be very easy.  Thus here is your profit/loss statement.  The issue though here is this number wouldn't even be correct because when you sell the btc for altcoin and vice versa, they have no idea at what price you bought the btc you send them at.  So there would be no way to calculate it.  I think you could calculate profit loss on the site only but not the entire case because your btc could be bought at 1k or 5k or 10 etc.  It would be nice if these exchanges did everything in usd.  If that was it, its easy to calculate.

The issue is those ppl who do lot of trades.  Or those ppl who receive and send btc a lot but do tiny amounts like 10 dollars and below.  When you are using fifo, lifo or whatever method... that is a huge headache.  How can anyone even do this?  The other thing is what about fees you pay when trading?  Are those fees expenses?  Or are those fees like a 10 dollar fee... a fee that is from btc being bought at a certain price.  I mean imagine you get btc 30 times and got them at 30 different prices and these prices were between 1 dollar and 5 dollars.  You going to have to record not only every single transaction, but you need to deduct depending on fifo or lifo how much btc is left etc.  This is basically impossible for someone to do this if they receive btc or send btc many times with small amounts.  The only ppl that wont be affected by this are those ppl are just buy and hold or buy few times only.  When you sell, its a headache because what if during that time, you had friends sending you 5 dollars in btc several times etc.  Then you buy altcoin again.  Well you have to make sure that 5 dollar in btc from those friends of yours are the last one out or something. 

Does anyone here get what im saying here?  Because this would be beyond ridiuclous to calculate.
infinite-potato

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 09:50:31 PM

My accountant mentioned i believe not 100 percent sure but he said any trade whether altcoin to altcoin is taxable.  He said like exchanges doesn't apply.

The thing is even if bittrex gives out financial info, there is no usd being traded.  So if someone does a trade for 100 dollars profit and that person doesnt report capital gains or losses, then they would have issue?
The other issue if ppl could use other exchanges and have gains or losses there.  Like someone could profit 5k on bittrex but lose 5k or more on binance.  But you are telling me that person better have some number showing for capital gains then?

What about if you dont do any trading on that date and afterwards but have bitcoin and altcoins there and dont do any trading?  What about if you withdraw your btc or altcoins to your wallet etc.  Obviously that is nothing right since you arent trading it?

Yea the thing is if they do it where they actually send you a 1099 or whatever that is, then it would be very easy.  Thus here is your profit/loss statement.  The issue though here is this number wouldn't even be correct because when you sell the btc for altcoin and vice versa, they have no idea at what price you bought the btc you send them at.  So there would be no way to calculate it.  I think you could calculate profit loss on the site only but not the entire case because your btc could be bought at 1k or 5k or 10 etc.  It would be nice if these exchanges did everything in usd.  If that was it, its easy to calculate.

The issue is those ppl who do lot of trades.  Or those ppl who receive and send btc a lot but do tiny amounts like 10 dollars and below.  When you are using fifo, lifo or whatever method... that is a huge headache.  How can anyone even do this?  The other thing is what about fees you pay when trading?  Are those fees expenses?  Or are those fees like a 10 dollar fee... a fee that is from btc being bought at a certain price.  I mean imagine you get btc 30 times and got them at 30 different prices and these prices were between 1 dollar and 5 dollars.  You going to have to record not only every single transaction, but you need to deduct depending on fifo or lifo how much btc is left etc.  This is basically impossible for someone to do this if they receive btc or send btc many times with small amounts.  The only ppl that wont be affected by this are those ppl are just buy and hold or buy few times only.  When you sell, its a headache because what if during that time, you had friends sending you 5 dollars in btc several times etc.  Then you buy altcoin again.  Well you have to make sure that 5 dollar in btc from those friends of yours are the last one out or something. 

Does anyone here get what im saying here?  Because this would be beyond ridiuclous to calculate.

Don't think like kind exchanges are exempt from taxes in crypto. also I would make the best effort in paying taxes even if it seems like the IRS themselves will have a hard time tracking it.
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 09:57:27 PM

taxes are voluntarily actually

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: