Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 02:31:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard forks and Nano Legder  (Read 127 times)
Mister k (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 19

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 03:30:42 PM

Lots of hard forks should happen in the next few weeks.
Is it a good idea to keep my BTC and ETH on a Nano Ledger S?
Will I be able to get the new coins there or do I have to move my BTC and ETH on exchanges that support those forks?

Loonie Network   ■■■■■   Loonie Token, An ERC20 Token   ■■■■■   LNI         
Participate in the Crowsale now
Whitepaper   ▲   Telegram   ▲   Twitter   ▲   ANN Thread
bear303

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:59:27 PM

You can find what you need on the ledger's website
ex: https://ledger.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004780294-Read-before-installing-Bitcoin-Gold-BTG-important-notices

Ledger does not strong support for hard fork
You better move the coins into the platform supporting the hard fork
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6177

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 05:47:56 PM

An exchange could choose between supporting a fork or not. If they choose to not do that, you will basically lose your forked coin (while the exchange still have them as they control the private keys for your addresses) while in Ledger nano S, even If they choose to not support the forked coin, you still have access to your private keys (indirectly using the seed) and you could import it somewhere else to claim the new coin.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 07:43:40 PM

while in Ledger nano S, even If they choose to not support the forked coin, you still have access to your private keys (indirectly using the seed) and you could import it somewhere else to claim the new coin.

For this reason alone it is better to leave your coins on the trusted Ledger, rather than move them to an untrusted hard forking coin developer owned wallet...that no one has ever heard of.

A mediocre alternative is moving your coins to YoBit or another major exchange that has already announced support for the hard fork you're chasing (I realize their may be several).

Ad this Omega gent states above, while Ledger may choose not to support a hard fork, you still have the control of your coins and can move them to claim the forking coins...all of them.
ImNewAnDontKnowWhat2Do

Activity: 34

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 08:07:47 PM

For this reason alone it is better to leave your coins on the trusted Ledger, rather than move them to an untrusted hard forking coin developer owned wallet...that no one has ever heard of.

A mediocre alternative is moving your coins to YoBit or another major exchange that has already announced support for the hard fork you're chasing (I realize their may be several).

Ad this Omega gent states above, while Ledger may choose not to support a hard fork, you still have the control of your coins and can move them to claim the forking coins...all of them.

This
Enbloc

Activity: 24

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 09:10:32 PM

Historically, Ledger supports most major forks, ETC, BCH. You control the private seeds for the wallets.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: