Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:14:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: JavaScript UI for Bitcoin, QR code, bitcoin: URIs  (Read 11949 times)
tcatm (OP)

Activity: 337
Merit: 265

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 07:53:10 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2011, 05:12:24 AM by tcatm

I've created a JavaScript user interface for bitcoin. It's project page is located at:

http://tcatm.github.com/bitcoin-js-remote/

bitcoin-js-remote is a user interface for Bitcoin written in JavaScript. It works in most modern browsers as well as on Android and iPhones. If run on an Android phone it can scan QR codes containing addreses to send Bitcoins to! If you don't own an Android device, you can still enter raw bitcoin: URIs in a textbox.

For SSL support a small server side script written in Python is required.

• SSL for secure communication
  • Display QR code with address
  • Scan QR codes (Android only)
  • Supports multiple accounts
  • Android and iPhone support
  • Send and receive Bitcoins
  • List transactions

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 10:03:01 PM

Well done!
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 10:26:37 PM

Nice.
tcatm (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 02:57:56 AM

New feature: Display address as QR code and scan QR codes on Android phones. This makes phone2phone transfer of bitcoins possible without having to enter addresses.
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 03:06:47 AM

good job, phone to phone is going to be huge!
tcatm (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 12:08:58 AM

Added SSL support (using a small SSL webserver).
abstraction

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 01:33:19 PM

i don't know how to get this running yet, but i can tell this is really great already! i have two questions:

1) can you (or anybody capable) put together a step-by-step guide with pictures that shows a person who has never heard of Bitcoin how to get this running? If somebody knows how to make software installers for unix/linux, mac, and windows, that could make this project go viral since you can manage your account from a cell phone.

2) is there a way to use virtualization efficiently and securely such that each person can have bitcoind run on the same physical server? could i run the server service in the cloud and have the data securely encrypted so that nobody could access my wallet.dat file except me? if so, this could be a virtual bank that securely maintains wallet.dat files, with the clients' trust that the virtual bank will keep the wallet.dat file secure and untampered.
marcusaurelius

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 05:21:43 PM

here is a qr-code generator for the software to read: http://qr.ma.eatgold.com/
it supports specifying an amount to be sent. the js-software can implement this quite easily.
tcatm (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 06:08:21 PM

here is a qr-code generator for the software to read: http://qr.ma.eatgold.com/
it supports specifying an amount to be sent. the js-software can implement this quite easily.

Can we first please stick to one URI scheme? I don't want to parse QR codes for three different possible schemes.

I prefer x-btc.
marcusaurelius

Activity: 37

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 06:22:23 PM

I think this is about adoption. If you start using xbtc that would count in its favor.

I personally would prefer the shortest possible, as this keeps the qrcodes small. x-btc mandates an action to be specified ("store" or "send" currently) and also mandates the "addr=" part in front of the adress, both which I consider to be redundant.

I like the simplicity of bitcoin:xxxxxxxxxxxxx plus very much approve of its accessibility. Should someone from the outside happen to see such a uri, the protocol name already gives a description. A quick google search should then do the rest. x-btc sounds much more cryptic, the chance that s/1 gooogles that out of curiosity are much slimmer. Also, very likely, what s/he will find are mostly technical specifications. Not a good introduction to bitcoin.
tcatm (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 06:24:59 PM

Let's move this discussion over to http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2705.0 as it fits better there.
tcatm (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 05:13:09 AM

Added bitcoin: URI support for QR codes (you can even enter raw bitcoin: URIs if you don't have a Android phone!)
tcatm (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 03:33:38 PM

One suggestion: I think the license you are using is the MIT license; however neither the files nor the project page mentions, which specific license you are using. Please add the type of the license to your project page and the files.

Fixed (integration branch for now)
tcatm (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 10:35:49 PM

v0.3 released.

* faster rendering of transaction list
* more responsive on Android
* reduced bandwidth usage
tcatm (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 01:55:41 AM

v0.3.1: fix transaction list on firefox
bitcoin2

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 24, 2011, 06:41:40 PM

I would like insert a private key from QR code. So I could print a wallet on paper and give this paper to another person. He could scan this QR code with an android phone, check the value and transfer the bitcoins to his wallet.
tcatm (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 02:58:37 AM

I would like insert a private key from QR code. So I could print a wallet on paper and give this paper to another person. He could scan this QR code with an android phone, check the value and transfer the bitcoins to his wallet.

First: Please discuss this in another thread. This is only for js-remote!

This is a feature that needs support in bitcoin itself. Once there are RPCs I can add such a feature to js-remote.
tcatm (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 12:49:09 AM

v0.3.2:
added labelsmode (assumes accounts are labels like the wxGUI does)
can create accounts/labels
riush

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 02:57:18 AM

This is really great, the perfect UI for a phone!

I just tested the new version on the demo page and the account handling looks great.
Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with sending, it always says "Invalid account name"...

Just wanted to let you know. Again, great work, and many thanks, tcatm! Smiley

1MKKiJhUJgqKyfCLeo7bB1bvELNEM8wUbz
tcatm (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 03:27:14 AM

I just tested the new version on the demo page and the account handling looks great.
Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with sending, it always says "Invalid account name"...

Fixed. Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: