Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:04:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does bitcoin have an expiry date? What do you think?  (Read 3395 times)
manny_el_portu (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 11:35:19 AM

I know (now) that transaction fees have always been applies. What I am suggesting and defending is that those fees should increase tho a percentage of the transaction.
Otherwise, we have a very real possibility that mining will stop being profitable, no matter what kind of mining hardware you have. And if that happens, then I don't see either mining or bitcoin surviving for very long.
Another option would be to only allow miners to perform transaction (that way, if you want to use bitcoin, you have to mine), but I believe that would be a lot harder (if not impossible) to implement. That and it would also shrink the user base which is the opposite of what should be happening.
BTCGuy111

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 11:45:15 AM

Well this thread got off topic quickly
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 03:22:35 AM

I know (now) that transaction fees have always been applies. What I am suggesting and defending is that those fees should increase tho a percentage of the transaction.
Transaction fees are set by the miners. If miners want to charge a percentage fee instead of the flat fees they charge now, they're free to do so, though there's no reason for it: transaction fees are meant to cover the cost of mining, and each transaction costs the same amount to mine regardless of value. It simply doesn't make any sense to charge a lower fee for low-value transactions when they still cost just as much to mine. In fact, at the moment, high-value transactions may be sent for free if certain conditions are met, on the theory that a large number of low-value transactions are harder to deal with than a small number of high-value transactions, so we should try to encourage people to do the latter whenever practical. It is very likely that low-value transactions will always be more expensive (relatively speaking) than high-value transactions (Bitcoin was never meant for microtransactions).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
manny_el_portu (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 01:03:56 PM

You can set fees? Really? How can you do that?
And how can you determine wether or not you wish to pay the transaction fee that has been set by a miner?
Thanks for the info
manny_el_portu (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 01:29:06 PM

Oh, and one more question. Is the fee you set received when a block is discovered or is received whenever a transaction is processed?
And one last question is every hash a transaction or how many hashes/kH/MH/GH does a transaction take?
Once again thanks for the info
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 01:56:14 PM

mayber 2015 or 2017
or neverend

LosVegas

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 04:31:21 PM

makes you wonder...
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 05:47:10 PM

Oh, and one more question. Is the fee you set received when a block is discovered or is received whenever a transaction is processed?
And one last question is every hash a transaction or how many hashes/kH/MH/GH does a transaction take?
Once again thanks for the info

I am willing to spend a lot of time finding answers to questions.  I do it for free.  I expect, however, that you will do at least as much work as I do.  My sense is that you have not read the links that people have asked you to read.  I, and others, spent a long time reading so that we could understand the system.  I am willing to answer stream of consciousness questions.  I am even willing to call on the phone and give custom tutoring.  For that service, however, I also charge a custom fee.

Your choice, as I see it, is to get free help if you work diligently yourself, or pay substantially for help.

I try to be respectful and informed.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 05:54:11 PM

You can set fees?

Yes.

Really?

Absolutely.

How can you do that?

That depends on your technical ability and the wallet you are using.  Some wallets make it very easy, others make it rather complicated.

And how can you determine wether or not you wish to pay the transaction fee that has been set by a miner?

You have that backwards.  You choose the fee that you are willing to pay.  Then the miners (or mining pools) choose whether or not they want to include your transaction.  The higher fee you pay, the more miners that will want to include your transaction, and therefore the more likely you are to have your transaction confirmed in the next block.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 06:05:42 PM

Oh, and one more question.

Looks like 2 more to me.  Might want to work on your counting skills.

Is the fee you set received when a block is discovered or is received whenever a transaction is processed?

The fee is received in the new block when it is solved.

That question doesn't make any sense.  That's a bit like asking, "Is every color a motorcycle, or how many colors does a motorcycle take?"

A hash is a digest.  It is a number that represents some information.  Transactions are identified in bitcoin with hashes, bitcoin addresses are created using hashes, and blocks are also identified with hashes.

When mining, the miner calculates a single hash of the header of the block they are working on.  If the value of that hash is lower than a target difficulty, then the block is solved and they can publish he block to the blockchain.  If the hash is not low enough, then the miner alters a piece of information in the header and tries hashing the header again.  The miner repeats this process over and over until they either find a hash with a value lower than the target difficulty, or they receive a block relayed by a peer that has a hash with a value lower than the target difficulty.  Then they create a new block with whatever transactions they want to include and start all over again.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: