Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:56:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Actual Bitcoin commerce vs. speculation  (Read 5434 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 05:19:45 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2013, 05:32:33 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Bitcoin's use in day-to-day commerce will generally trail its investment/speculative usage by at least an order of magnitude, until that market is fully saturated, allowing commerce usage time to catch up. At least, it makes sense to me.

It will never "catch up" and that is fine.

Gross World Product*: $71 trillion
Global Annual Forex Volume: $1,423 trillion
Ratio of currency speculation to actual goods/services: ~20:1

Non-speculators trade because they HAVE to. As an example, a compnay receives 100 BTC and needs USD to pay for materials, they aren't trading to make an exchange rate profit, they are trading because they need to.  Likewise someone buying an Avalon (is/was? only sold for BTC) who only has USD is trading because they need BTC.   If there are no speculators (or low speculative volume) the market is going to have huge spreads and low liquidity.  In order for non-speculators to have deep liquid markets generally requires a multiple of speculative volume.  This applies to currencies and commodities, Bitcoin will be no different. 

In summary, all markets need speculators in order to be efficient and speculation will ALWAYS be a magnitude higher than "real economy".

* GWP is the the sum of all the gross national product for all nations.  Gross national product excludes imports and exports, since all imports are another countries exports they aren't useful in looking at global production.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 09:23:15 PM

First it becomes gold 2.0 and then it very naturally becomes a widely used payment mechanism? Who knows

Agreed that it's likely Gold 2.0 first. It's fairly weak-minded to look at current everyday consumer-oriented transaction volume and conclude that it's problematically low. That completely misses both the likely growth paths, and the various possible ultimate success domains.

Bitcoin has the same properties as gold, but minus gold's huge modern-day weakness: tangibility. As bitcoin therefore naturally eats into gold's use-cases, it gets spread to more hands, and transaction volume for greater variety of uses follows. In addition, layered non-strictly-monetary uses of the blockchain will develop, etc...

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 10:48:17 PM

I don't think the entire issue of speculation vs. commercial transactions vs. gold-like store of value is quite as black and white as many here seem to paint it.

One, those who, like a mantra, keep repeating: there's no real transaction volume, therefore the price is unsustainable, are ignoring the store of value function as motivation for current price levels. This has been pointed out above of course.

Two, on the other hand, those who fail to see any problem with the lackluster commercial adoption, seem to be ignorant of the fundamental trust problem bitcoin faces, and likely, will continue to face in the near future. Everyone on this forum will gladly trade 1 btc for the current market price, but with near certainty a majority of the world's population sees the value of a bitcoin substantially below that value, if not at zero.

Three, this is were two points above should be combined: commercial transactions are not per se necessary for bitcoin to hold value, but each commercial transaction represents at least two people that agree that bitcoin actually *does* hold the value that mtgox says it does. Which ultimately is necessary for bitcoin to fully unfold its 'store of value' function.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Wary

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:16:04 AM

for bitcoin to hold value, but each commercial transaction represents at least two people that agree that bitcoin actually *does* hold the value that mtgox says it does.
One, actually. The seller doesn't have to believe that the stuff he sells holds any value Smiley

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:46:28 AM

here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170826.msg2706332#msg2706332
they claim a 30% income boost
they are a physical computer store and are the first in france to accept bitcoin.

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 11:34:52 AM

for bitcoin to hold value, but each commercial transaction represents at least two people that agree that bitcoin actually *does* hold the value that mtgox says it does.
One, actually. The seller doesn't have to believe that the stuff he sells holds any value Smiley

*snort* Funny. But... not entirely true: he must have believed he at least could make the trade I described when he got that bitcoin. So at some point in time, he believed it held some value.

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 12:15:32 PM

[...]

And, there should be no presumption that there should be a single, agreed upon exchange rate in order for Bitcoin to funciton. As we have seen, once the limits of arbitrage volume are reached, friction between markets will maintain a channel that refuses to close. Once this becomes the proverbial firehose-through-a-soda-straw we will likely see rather large arb channels. This, particularly if governments choose to impose capital controls. It is not entirely unprecedented to see de-facto, and even official currencies with bifurcated exchange rates under these circumstances.

Granted. But there is a fundamental difference between "restrictions in region 1 lead to price x, while in region 2 price is y, and arbitrage cannot fully resolve the gap between the two" and "9/10 of earth's population thinks bitcoin is silly make believe money".

Note, I'm not saying that that is the case right now, or will forever be the case. Just that each (commercial) transaction represents a pair of agents that beliebe in bibcoins. Which is good.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 01:00:02 PM

*snort* Funny. But... not entirely true: he must have believed he at least could make the trade I described when he got that bitcoin. So at some point in time, he believed it held some value.

Not entirely true, if you get them only because you think somebody else holds them at valuable. Granted it's only a marginal difference between the two, but I do think it matters.
There were people who knew very well what they were doing when they got into the pirate ponzi early. I'm not saying that Bitcoin has to suffer the same fate, but it could. The risk of that happening is directly proportional to the spread between valuation due to economic activity and valuation due to speculative demand.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:05:48 PM

[...]

And, there should be no presumption that there should be a single, agreed upon exchange rate in order for Bitcoin to funciton. As we have seen, once the limits of arbitrage volume are reached, friction between markets will maintain a channel that refuses to close. Once this becomes the proverbial firehose-through-a-soda-straw we will likely see rather large arb channels. This, particularly if governments choose to impose capital controls. It is not entirely unprecedented to see de-facto, and even official currencies with bifurcated exchange rates under these circumstances.

Granted. But there is a fundamental difference between "restrictions in region 1 lead to price x, while in region 2 price is y, and arbitrage cannot fully resolve the gap between the two" and "9/10 of earth's population thinks bitcoin is silly make believe money".

Note, I'm not saying that that is the case right now, or will forever be the case. Just that each (commercial) transaction represents a pair of agents that beliebe in bibcoins. Which is good.

I beliebe in bibcoins!

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:28:27 PM

[...]

I beliebe in bibcoins!

xpost to the altcoin board: Biebercoin ("bibcoin"), discerning feature: unlike other financial instruments, maturity is optional.

(*groan*)

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 03:44:18 PM

Not entirely true, if you get them only because you think somebody else holds them at valuable. Granted it's only a marginal difference between the two, but I do think it matters.
There were people who knew very well what they were doing when they got into the pirate ponzi early. I'm not saying that Bitcoin has to suffer the same fate, but it could. The risk of that happening is directly proportional to the spread between valuation due to economic activity and valuation due to speculative demand.

Are you saying that currencies are Ponzi schemes in general?

Because, that is generally the case.

I'm not, and I disagree.
There are only certain mechanism which have the same basis as a ponzi but even so they aren't entirely based on that. These are for example compounding interest and deflation. They are neither necessary nor a inherent property and I don't see any reason why these mechanisms can't be minimized or even eliminated.
Look at regional currencies, which only failed because the bureaucracy did shut them down.
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:56:54 PM

i said many time bitcoin dont have a economy is a lolconomy and i also said many time that my personal bitcoin velocity is near 0
when you ppl can figure the bitcoin GDP you can calculate the velocity=GDP/M2 ofc for bitcoin M2=M1= 1229787404 USD(atm using http://bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin/)

lol will be generated since there is no fucking way bitcoin GDP to be even close to M2
please go on whit the price talk

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 04:57:39 PM

i said many time bitcoin dont have a economy is a lolconomy and i also said many time that my personal bitcoin velocity is near 0

I would say that is pretty much consistent through the userbase.
chodpaba: Forex volume is actual moving money.

If bitcoin days destroyed shoots through the roof one day I would think about discarding the possibility of a sudden high velocity crash, but until that happens it's always on the horizon, just like those mad upside rallies you guys are so fond about.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 05:16:12 PM

If bitcoin days destroyed shoots through the roof one day I would think about discarding the possibility of a sudden high velocity crash, but until that happens it's always on the horizon, just like those mad upside rallies you guys are so fond about.

Um... Yeah, it moves between the hands of FOREX traders.

Your point?

The amount of people using the buy and hold strategy are in a prisoners dilemma, once one of the major players decides to defect for whatever reason there won't be anything to stop the others from defecting. Individuals act irrational.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 05:29:29 PM

Um... Yeah, it moves between the hands of FOREX traders.

Your point?

The amount of people using the buy and hold strategy are in a prisoners dilemma, once one of the major players decides to defect for whatever reason there won't be anything to stop the others from defecting. Individuals act irrational.

It is this mass psychology that makes this market predictable. Those individuals you speak of are actually on the lower end of the Bitcoin wealth distribution and they are ill suited to absorb the risk... If they are subject to the greed/fear cycle they are gamblers who will loose most of what they have invested. Conversely, it is possible that those who can actually absorb the risk will lose as well, on an arbitrary time horizon. But their behavior will not be the same. They can comfortably double-down on a Martingale strategy just because its fun.

The game structure is not a simple Prisoner's Dilemma. There are many games afoot.

If so, I kinda like being in this prison! but not alone....
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 05:30:01 PM

I can't see why the upper end of the Bitcoin wealth distribution should be excluded from the dilemma. I think it's even more pronounced for them.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 05:32:47 PM

I can't see why the upper end of the Bitcoin wealth distribution should be excluded from the dilemma. I think it's even more pronounced for them.

the thing is, if they get out, they are distributing the coins to many more hands ie bringing more "prisoners" in Wink
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 05:38:16 PM

This situation is like what I saw in Vietnam: Some business man accept USD payment, but their actual sale in USD is very small. For them USD is a type of money only rich people have, and those rich foreigners seldom appear

Same for bitcoin, only IT and financial aliens from cyberspace have this high credit currency  Wink

Satoshi could change the name to aliencoin to further improve this impression Grin

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 05:41:55 PM

the thing is, if they get out, they are distributing the coins to many more hands ie bringing more "prisoners" in Wink

You'd be surprised how many of them would join the defectors, which brings me back to my thesis that Bitcoins will remain super-volatile over extended periods of time. (Longer than the overall bull market can last)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 05:44:26 PM

That's right. The thing about a Martingale is that you don't always have to be right, you just have to be right enough. Whales will make mistakes too. And all you have to do is to be just a little better than they are at calculating risk.

That just made me cringe. Grin
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: