Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:54:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] MemoryCoin  (Read 100280 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 07:37:04 AM

Thanks for your input - here's my take on the different issues -

1)  only one small-ish exchange currently carrying it.  any update on efforts to get MEG on cryptsy/mcxnow/etc.?  If we as a group help to increase awareness and demand by asking for inclusion on exchanges, it should help speed up the process.

More exchanges would certainly be helpful, but its the first exchange that makes the big difference - we've got a way for the market to express its opinion on the price of MEG, even if that price is low, it's important that it is there.

2)  comparatively unreliable client + no pool.  I can only hope Freetrade is hunting down the instabilities, and for the pool I think we need to start a grant (I would have already if I knew how) simply to stockpile coins as a reward for someone to make a pool.  Eventually the reward should be large enough for someone to actually do it.

If you only read the forums, you'd be convinced the client is flaky. It's not. It's very stable now, and that's come from a process of being open about the problems and encouraging people to report them. We've still got an occasional problem with hanging on blocks that's I'm looking at, but most people are not having a problem with stability now.

Also, we've got a $100 bounty for a pool now -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=278782.0

Because we've got grants built into the blockchain, we're likely to be able to offer continuing grants for new projects - something that will keep MC going, while other coins wither through lack of dev.

3)  almost no publicity, which in the face of XPM, QRK, and newly released SRC (granted just a better organized QRK), is making difficulty plummet right now.  I think a lot could be done on this front just from periodic development updates (I wouldn't even understand most of it, but guaranteed it makes your average user feel better knowing that the dev is actively working on things, not to mention the updates would be a nice bump in the forums)

Yes we could probably do with a re-launch at some point. I think the people who are most confident with MC are just accumulating at the moment.

4)  lack of information on voting system.  There are some decent guidelines, but for me the explanations still leave a lot to be desired (hell I don't even know if sending Satoshis is referring to sending BTC or MEG to the target address, but I'm a newbie at this stuff).  For this kind of feature to be truly highlighted and showcased, you'd need to figure out a way to incorporate it into the miner GUI for ease of use, at least the voting part (probably not the easiest thing to implement, but it'd do wonders for public adoption and encouraging voting).  There definitely needs to be a central forum where grants/proposals are listed, so people understand their options.

Yes, could do with a writeup on this.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
B.T.Coin

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 02:49:16 PM

CLIENT IS FLAKY... people can't be bothered to complain anymore.

I kind of have to agree with this.
Although improvements have been made on the client, it's still far from stable.
To mine Memorycoin you have to keep an eye on your miners all the time and restart when they hang or crash.

A fine is a tax you pay for something you did wrong.
A tax is a fine you pay for something you did right.
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 04:50:31 PM

CLIENT IS FLAKY... people can't be bothered to complain anymore.

I kind of have to agree with this.
Although improvements have been made on the client, it's still far from stable.
To mine Memorycoin you have to keep an eye on your miners all the time and restart when they hang or crash.

Reluctantly I have to add my experiences - I have trouble when the program is starting, often getting 'quit in an unexpected way' messages whilst it is updating. But once it gets going it seems to be largely OK. I don't know whether it is relevant or not, but the machine I've been using from the beginning seems to be the best behaved ~ did the older versions leave something behind?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 07:43:27 PM

If i could get it to sync that would be good for starters.  Cheesy

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
SlyWax

Activity: 248
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 06:13:54 AM

FreeTrade,
I think you are not using the same code in the QT wallet than in the rpc one :
The rpc tell me that I can't send coin because of insufficient fund (because the change sent to itself in the previous transaction is not taken into account (the previous transaction didn't receive a confirmation yet )),
 whereas it work in the qt one.

I think that if you send a transaction from a wallet that is not up to date with the blockchain, it doesn't get sent and can corrupt the wallet. I think this is a general issue with all QT wallets, rather than something specific to MC . . . although if MC is getting stuck on a block, there's more chance of it happening.
For now you should be careful to ensure the block chain is up to date before sending.

To fix a problem wallet, I think you'll need to either, use a backup of the wallet. Or if you don't have one, export the private key of the main address, then start a new wallet, and import the private key into it.

There was no problem with the wallet, it was synced and continued working as normal as soon as the first transaction received one confirmation.

What I'm pointing is different behaviour if you use the send command in the QT binaries, than sending command to the QT binaries with RPC, via the daemon binaries (tested under ubuntu).

The situation is :
1) you have all your coin on one address.
2) you send some to an external address, and the remainder is automatically send to the originating address.
3) you try to send another transaction, without waiting for the first one to have one confirmation (ie: 0 conf).
4) Depending on the method : you can send it or you get the error : unsufficient fund

I think this come from the check with getbalance which maybe is done differently in the UI than in the RPC.
It remove the sent amount from the balance, but didn't include the received one (since it didn't got one conf)
A patch would count the received one also even with 0 conf, if it comes from the same address.

So far I found the RPC one, not the UI one. If you could help me by telling me where it is, I could check further.
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 06:52:20 AM

4) Depending on the method : you can send it or you get the error : unsufficient fund

Are you getting this error with the RPC, when you send a second transaction before the first one has received a confirmation? Not sure what might be causing that. Try using the sendmany command if you need to do a lot of transactions - that seems to be working fine.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 06:56:05 AM
Last edit: August 31, 2013, 09:30:47 AM by FreeTrade

Reluctantly I have to add my experiences - I have trouble when the program is starting, often getting 'quit in an unexpected way' messages whilst it is updating. But once it gets going it seems to be largely OK. I don't know whether it is relevant or not, but the machine I've been using from the beginning seems to be the best behaved ~ did the older versions leave something behind?

Looks like I've overestimated the resolution of stability issues. I'm still looking at these, but the low hanging fruit is gone now, so fixes are going to be slower to come as the remaining problems are more difficult to track down.

Zyl

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 08:57:33 AM

Freetrade is a scam artist.

Care to elaborate?  Without anything to back it up you can't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Freetrade purposefully kept UPnP support out of the client so that people would not be able to get onto the Memorycoin network.
He figured he could mine a lot of MEG while keeping the network close to failure, and then add UPnP support later after he's got his bunch coins.

Remember, there's 50 little alts, even all the ones made by newbies have UPnP support, only Memorycoin does not.

This is how he lied to all of you, and he is a con artist.
He tricked you, pulled it right past all of you.
You didn't notice what was going on.
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 10:24:19 AM

MemoryCoin grant system failing - surgery proposed.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=285232.0

jestronix

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 03:29:04 PM

Freetrade is a scam artist.

Care to elaborate?  Without anything to back it up you can't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Freetrade purposefully kept UPnP support out of the client so that people would not be able to get onto the Memorycoin network.
He figured he could mine a lot of MEG while keeping the network close to failure, and then add UPnP support later after he's got his bunch coins.

Remember, there's 50 little alts, even all the ones made by newbies have UPnP support, only Memorycoin does not.

This is how he lied to all of you, and he is a con artist.
He tricked you, pulled it right past all of you.
You didn't notice what was going on.

And dude why the hell did he want to buy coins off me then? eh work that out, I was the biggest miner of this coin at the start, had the top wallet for a while, when the Dev wants to buy some, it means HE DIDNT PREMINE!!!!! or intent to run people,  I got in early, he wanted to buy some, just like any other alt coin buyer at he time.  I had no trouble mining.  The guy put in more effort than a lot of copy paste merchants out on the wild seas, tried to make something different, wheres your coin buddy !! make a better coin then you can lay down the shit. till then wtf
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 06:16:36 PM

Thanks for this. I've been looking into it this evening. Looks like my update to halt mining until the block chain was up to date wasn't working. The client was trying to mine and update at the same time, and as we established before, this causes crashes.

I've reverted the changes to the .bat files so that mining is not automatically enabled. Mining needs to be enabled manually again - so after the blockchain is upto date type

setgenerate true <numberofcores>

(-1 will cause it to use half available cores)

I've updated the client - will use a fixed address in future for latest client -
http://memorycoin.org/downloads/memorycoin-qt-latest.zip

Sondey10mg

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:46:36 AM

I think i was on a fork (~5700 blocks) so I deleted my blockchain. Now I get this: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  CreateNewBlock() : ConnectBlock failed

Any ideas what to do?

*Image Removed*
 *Image Removed*
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:53:19 AM

I think i was on a fork (~5700 blocks) so I deleted my blockchain. Now I get this: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  CreateNewBlock() : ConnectBlock failed

Any ideas what to do?

Make sure you're using the latest version of the client.

Here's what I do whenever I have a problem with startup (on any coin, not just MEG) Try each of these in turn . . any might fix the problem . .  each takes a bit longer than the previous one, try the first one first.

1. Try deleting the chainstate directory and restarting.
2. Try re-index
3. Try delete block directory.
4. Try delete everything except your wallet.dat

Sondey10mg

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 12:57:30 PM

I tried everything and nothing seems to work. But I think it's safe to say that it was a fork and it would be impossible to mine 13200 MEG's with a small VPS in one month otherwise?

*Image Removed*
 *Image Removed*
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:48:50 PM

I tried everything and nothing seems to work. But I think it's safe to say that it was a fork and it would be impossible to mine 13200 MEG's with a small VPS in one month otherwise?

That's a lot for a small VPS - if it was a octo-core going full blast for the full month, that would be about right.

Currently three highest balances are -

->Balance:12615 - MVF4kgdRuCQoFHxuy63Ses5F3QpfDNJvGy

->Balance:12557 - MTukQztMUSXVrNhf9Wa2APd9tt5vKmCoeo

->Balance:10520 - MDHA5R3Z8wLdwxBUZs8ZS4ukrsc4b3zypC

I think two of them are Bter.

gym520

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 03:13:28 PM

I think the money is dead, only  to sell, no one to buy
stas

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:41:40 PM

Hi, FreeTrade!
I hope You are not paying attention to what some nuts have to say about your coin and yourself.

Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:43:26 PM

Hi, FreeTrade!
I hope You are not paying attention to what some nuts have to say about your coin and yourself.

+1

SlyWax

Activity: 248
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:21:29 PM

Come on Quantplus,

the thing that is interesting with this coin is the voting system.
If you want to mine a clone coin with no innovation, there is plenty out there.

The fact that FreeTrade get one of the 5 grant is perfectly normal since he didn't premine.
But yet we can chose at any-time to remove this grant from him.
And that's what happened once already, and he has the right to whine about it.

This is far better than premine, because he can't dump it all at once, and he need to keep on with the support of the coin, otherwise we can remove the grant from him.

As far as the market, I think FT is not the kind of vocal man, who shout everywhere to promote the coin, and it's ok since he is a developer, not a salesman or public relation.
So what memorycoin lack is some kind of promotion.
And I guess as a collective we have to take that in charge.

So if you want more byers, then move your ass and promote the coin !
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:39:27 PM

Mr Wax,

Not sure if you noticed, but I'm concerned the coin is dying a slow death in its present form and radical surgery is needed to save it. I've proposed a fork.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=285232.0

Interested to hear your thoughts on it as your fund has clearly shown that you have a good understanding of the grants and votes - although I'm sure you'll be conflicted as it aims to kill your fund along with the other interest payment grants.

Also, logo competition is over. A decent logo should help the coin's image.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: