Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:10:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone using Ucoustic soundproof cabinet?  (Read 173 times)
immolated (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 11:22:41 PM

I got one, and even though it's rated for 12kw heat dissipation (15 L3+ antminers), I'm finding I can only run about 8 in there before they get too hot.  It seems like they are re-breathing the hot air, and the rear cabinet exhaust fans don't keep up with the volume of hot air pushed to the back.  I tried blanking, but there's just too much air pressure pushing into the back to contain it all, it always pushes its way back to the front.  Anyone had success running more than that in one of these cabinets?
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exx1976

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 03:20:30 AM

I've not run miners in one, but I have experience with the 1/2 cabinet floor standing model.  I've installed a few for customers in remote branch-office type setups where a dedicated MDF is unavailable.

While they are rated for 12kw of heat dissipation, the gear they are designed for does not move nearly the volume of air that these miners do.  Typical rackmount gear that is located in one of these enclosures is along the lines of a 5U UPS, a 4U SAN node, a couple of 1U switches, and 2-4 2U servers.  Even then, they aren't the most efficient thing out there.  Their focus is primarily on sound dampening, at the expense of cooling.
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 09:47:02 AM

Does it actually block the sound properly??? The sound does not leak from the hole where the air vents are? Sound usually travels through any hole.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 04:56:03 PM

You are trying to put asic miners into stanard server racks, of course it is not going to work properly these arent rack mount machines.

Also, these are industrial miners, they should be in an industrial setting where sound shouldnt matter.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
HappyMod

Activity: 224
Merit: 2

ICO Communtiy Management & Engagement happymod.io

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 05:06:29 PM

You are trying to put asic miners into stanard server racks, of course it is not going to work properly these arent rack mount machines.

Also, these are industrial miners, they should be in an industrial setting where sound shouldnt matter.
This is super easy to say except that this has become a poor mans game.

Regardless of how they are designed we are still going to find a way to hack around the issue.

This aside, one of the things I was thinking was if you put a vent kit on each of them and then had the exhaust going out the back it may decrease the liklihood of them wanting to suck back in the intakes

Startup for Cryptocurrency Community Management, Engagement and Marketing. Expert in ICO Advising and moderation of social media platforms happymod.io
Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:40:56 PM

This is super easy to say except that this has become a poor mans game.

Regardless of how they are designed we are still going to find a way to hack around the issue.

This aside, one of the things I was thinking was if you put a vent kit on each of them and then had the exhaust going out the back it may decrease the liklihood of them wanting to suck back in the intakes

Agree that its a poor mans game but this isn't a poor mans solution - unless he inherited these cabinets for free.
These cabinets get expensive fast - $2k-$8k?

I'm still very interested in where this goes. I'd love to see this vent kit your talking about in action.
I run my gpu miners in 4u cases on a rack. Directed airflow with blower cards works very well in my setup.
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 06:35:39 PM

Dude, the antminers are alot noisier than GPU. It really doesnt work for a home setting unless u have heavy soundproofing.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: