Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:34:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin supported Roku channel  (Read 2473 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 10:35:08 PM

I've recently moved, and have moved just beyond the current build-out range of the cable company.  I hate sat tv, sucks during a storm, which is one of the only times I watch tv.  Plus it's expensive.  I know that I need broadband Internet, for my homeschooled kids if nothing else.  So I manage to get broadband out there, to be installed this Friday.  Still, my wife complains that the smallest ones need distractions when the older kids are supposed to be studying.  We've been without tv since the move, and their all a bit ancy.  (personally, I don't really watch much tv anymore) So I do some research, and settle upon a Roku 3.  I do some more research, and discover that the devices support "private channels" that anyone can set up without prior approval from Roku, so long as they have a developer's account and a streaming server to use.  (Roku doesn't actually provide any content for the devices, all content is provided by others)  While many of these private channels are ad supported, or simply fly-by-night projects that die once the developer loses interest; my idea was that of a subscription model, paid for only in bitcoins.  If some talented coders here could put together a "Bitcoin Network" for the Roku, using legally accessible content (I read about one guy that created an unofficial Kahn Academy channel, since all of the Kahn Academy videos are copyleft), the developer could actually make a living maintaining the channel.  Or more than one developer in competition could actually make for some quality programming under the right conditions.  Alternatively, bitcoin supported ads such as Project Wonderful might be another model worth persuing.  Since I don't intend to do this myself, I grant this idea to the forum membership.  If you've got skills, and plenty of freetime, (unemployed coder, perhaps?) see if you can carve yourself out a real income doing this.  If nothing else, I'd like to know if it's possible to actually earn a living providing bitcoin accessible content.  That alone would be worth an article in Bitcoin Mag.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 12:57:55 AM

If any of you guys, who are reading this post without commenting, actually do pursue anything along these lines, please let me know.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

mkjohnson

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:24:52 AM

Hey,

I just stumbled across this post while brainstorming on how to create a Roku app that would meter content against a wallet balance. Why that idea popped into my head may interest you. Check out what these guys are up to.

http://bitcoin.new-aeon-design.com/blog/tittiecoin-adult-innovation/

"In-wallet entertainment" I think has enormous potential.
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 04:34:34 AM

"In-wallet entertainment" I think has enormous potential.

I think it's an enbaressment, no matter it's potential.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: