Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:11:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Much to Keep on an Exchange  (Read 246 times)
shamzblueworld (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 02:56:40 AM

We all know that keeping your bitcoin on an exchange is risky, but we have to keep some there if we want to trade alts, make some profit and increase our bitcoin.
Now I would like to know what is your theory on the amount or percentage of bitcoin to keep on an exchange.
Is it like you won't keep more than 50% of your bitcoin on an exchange, or won't keep more than 1 or 0.5 bitcoin on an exchange. (I know this will depend upon the amount of bitcoin you have, but still, do share how do you go about it.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCforJoe

Activity: 882
Merit: 976

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 11:39:41 PM

I generally don't keep anything on exchanges, with the exception of LocalBitcoins.com. I don't play the market or do any short trading, but I used to, until YoShit (YoBit) locked my account for no reason. Since then, I just focus on hodling, which has done much better for me than having the risk of trying to find the right altcoins to net some quick profits. But I will say that I never kept more in the exchanges (YoBit, Bittrex, C-Cex, Poloniex) than what I was willing to lose, which for me was around $1,000USD at the time. And now? I've heard horror stories about each of those exchanges, so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that headache anymore.

jlanzago

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

Cryptomooniac - to the moon and beyond...

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 11:44:12 PM

I wouldn't keep anything on exchanges, with the exception of the amount I would need to trade. But after doing my trading, I will pull the coins off the exchanges and wouldn't leave them overnight. Plus, not all pairs are listed in all exchanges, so you would still need to move your bitcoin around.
TimtheYoutuber

Activity: 1708
Merit: 125

www.positivebetting.com

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 11:50:00 PM

I dont keep any money on exchanges unless I am using it. And I likely dont send more than  maybe 30% at a time to the "most trusted".

Example: If I wanted to sell $100, I would send $30 to coinbase and keep doing it.

Ive learned my lesson a very long time ago, and I dont hold money on exchanges. So if I buy 100$ worth of eth using USD, I send it immediately to my account.

Positivebetting
EcoChavCrypto

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 11:52:50 PM

Now I would like to know what is your theory on the amount or percentage of bitcoin to keep on an exchange.
Is it like you won't keep more than 50% of your bitcoin on an exchange, or won't keep more than 1 or 0.5 bitcoin

I would not even have 0.10 in an exchange, and you are saying that you would left 1 or 0.50 bitcoin in there? You are crazy man.

That is a huge amount of money, and i wouldn't know what to do if i lose $7000 or just $14000 in just an exchange, i wouldn't know what to do...

Trading is profitable, but i would never expose all my money inly to earn a few bucks a day, i know, but it is risky.

▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████
  ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ▄███████▀   ▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▄▄▄████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████████
█████████   ▄▄▄▄   ▀███████
█████████   █████   ███████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   █████   ██████▀
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ███▀▀   █████▀
      ▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▀
     █████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Bitcoin Air 

█      ███
█      ███
  ██
  ██  ███
  ██  ███
  ██  ███
      ███
█  ██
  ███
█  ██
  ███
   ██
  ███
█  ██  ███
█  ██  ███
█  ██
     ██  █
███  ██  █
███  ██
███  ██  █
███  ██  █
███  ██  █
███      █
███  ██ 
███  ██ 
     ██ 
███
  ██ 
███
  ██ 
     ██

avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1499

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 11:58:19 PM

We all know that keeping your bitcoin on an exchange is risky, but we have to keep some there if we want to trade alts, make some profit and increase our bitcoin.
Is it like you won't keep more than 50% of your bitcoin on an exchange, or won't keep more than 1 or 0.5 bitcoin on an exchange. (I know this will depend upon the amount of bitcoin you have, but still, do share how do you go about it.)

It entirely depends on your risk taking capability. The risk here is hacking. An exchange can be hacked and you may end up loosing your bitcoins held in exchange wallet. Same is true for your personal wallet as well. It can also be hacked but the probability is lower because hacking exchange is profitable and personal accounts isn't.

The amount differs from person to person. So you may be ok with 0.5 btc to keep in an exchange, but this amount is way higher for me. So it is impossible to come up with an exact amount.

Yudam

Activity: 251

Bitgesell (BGL) Decentralized Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:06:55 AM

I do not want to keep a bit on the exchange, it's too risky. To keep my account always safe, I think it would be better if not save on exchange to avoid a scam or heck

Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:10:31 AM

As much as you need to trade with. I've lost some funds on an exchange before thanks to the Feds taking it down. Fortunately I got most of my funds back.

Old habits die hard though...

DerekGT

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:11:43 AM

Everyone will advise you to keep small amounts of money on exchanges.It is not practical if you trade a lot.
But large amounts better to keep on ledger nano s if you don't use it for trading.
Agetan

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:15:58 AM

You are right. Keep much of our capital in exchange specially in centralized exchange would be much more risk compare with if we store it in our own wallet that we keep the private key by ourselves.

Actually now i have not much capital so i store all of them in exchange. Later on i will just keep less than 50% if i have much money.
bitfools

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:20:05 AM

I generally don't keep anything on exchanges, with the exception of LocalBitcoins.com. I don't play the market or do any short trading, but I used to, until YoShit (YoBit) locked my account for no reason. Since then, I just focus on hodling, which has done much better for me than having the risk of trying to find the right altcoins to net some quick profits. But I will say that I never kept more in the exchanges (YoBit, Bittrex, C-Cex, Poloniex) than what I was willing to lose, which for me was around $1,000USD at the time. And now? I've heard horror stories about each of those exchanges, so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that headache anymore.

ZERO

the achilles heal of BTC is the wallet/exchange, this where the private-key goes into another hand, as soon as you transfer BTC, your just assuming the ECDSA algo is correctly computed, almost all exchanges on earth are under control of criminals, say they even transfer your money back, but they use weak R,S signatures pairs, and a 3rd party steals your money before you get it back, this is common, and wallets & exchanges do this all the time,

There is ONLY one safe place for BTC, that its to have a high-entropy determinstic private-key that you known, and have all your funds under those priv-keys in your control, as soon as you use 3rd party wallet software, or an exchange, then you have pulled your pants down in public, an exposed your privates to all.

If you can't roll your own priv-key generation, then use the bitcoin-cli tools and create your own, that you can trust, the weakest link in BTC is the wallet software, and the exchanges too, are just using weak 3rd party software written by criminals, it wouldn't be FREE if there wasn't a plan, to take it all back.

Just don't make it easy

If you can't make your own keys, or write your own software then learn, otherwise your just a loser, waiting to lose it all.

How much should U keep in a GOV CONTROLLED EXChANGE that tells all GOV on earth that YOU as a person are a BITCOIN HODLER? I think U should know that answer to that question, as soon as you have 0.0001 BTC linked to an exchange, your private bank account, you have just issued a probable cause for GOV to take 100% of every REAL-CASH in your bank 'accounts'
bitfools

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:23:38 AM

Everyone will advise you to keep small amounts of money on exchanges.It is not practical if you trade a lot.
But large amounts better to keep on ledger nano s if you don't use it for trading.

If U trade a lot, your an idiot, and very soon you will have NO BTC to worry about, trading is always game that the house win's, and the sucker always loses.

Whatever money in BTC you keep with a 3rd party as escrow U LOSE, remember, if U don't own the private-key, then it ain't your money. Exchanges close everyday and take all money down.

These BTC rich ppl are a joke, so rich, but can't get it out, that's the way it was designed had it been easy to get it out, it would have already dropped back to zero, probably the main thing that keeps BTC high, is that there are no exits.
emuLOAD

Activity: 328
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 01:08:37 AM

If U trade a lot, your an idiot, and very soon you will have NO BTC to worry about, trading is always game that the house win's, and the sucker always loses.

Trading is not gambling.
If you trade stupidly, then yes, you're likely to end up poorer than when you started. A lot poorer.

If you have half a brain, however, and a respectable ammount of money then NOT trading in the current Crypto environment is foolish. caveat auditor, you're usually not as smart as you think you are. me included.

You should keep on the exchange no more than you absolutely need to, and the ammount you need is exactly how much you are willing to lose completely. If this is not enough to actually make reasonable returns with, then don't trade. Either way, I'd never hold more than 1-5% (depending on personal risk aversion) of net worth on exchanges.

ohlawdy

Activity: 259
Merit: 100

- "Bitcore (BTX) - The Future is Now"

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 01:09:29 AM

I don't think it is very safe to do so, to much examples of exchanges being hacked , sometimes from inside. And you will never see your money back.

helars2008

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:16:04 AM

As for me i am not keeping a substantial amount on any exchange i am using.
Whenever i am finished with my trading and i know that i will not be active for long time anymore i see to it that i will be able to transfer my coins back to my personal wallet for safekeeping.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ghost424

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:19:38 AM

I think this depends on how much money or cryptocurrency will come and go in your account. I only kept at least 20$ on my exchange wallet and everything is running fine for me.
bitfools

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:23:47 AM

ZERO

Keep it safe, keep it off wallets and exchanges,

If you don't hold the private-key, then it ain't your money

They're already locking bank accounts 'tinged' by bTC, how long before the lock exchange accounts?

They're already locking coinbase customer in accounts in various USA states,

They're coming, and if you leave nickel, they'll consider it a donation,

Just like cops that steal your cash, its no problem for GOV to steal your crypto, who you going to call? Your congrassman?
datodota002

Activity: 224

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:56:33 AM

i keep 0.01 btc on my exchanger in order i want to do trading because deposit from bank to exchanger take long time to in my exchanger so i decided to keep little of my btc on exchanger
pandukelana2712

Activity: 728
Merit: 1005

BountyPortal Supporter & Hhampuz is my manager

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:39:17 AM

I just keep most of my BTC and altcoins in offline wallet.
But yes, I do trading in exchange sometimes with 20-40% my btc's, buy and sell some altcoin there, make weekly profit.
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 09:13:29 AM

Not more than half is probably a good rule? I don't know, though. I like to go with the assumption that if I'm keeping coins in an exchange, I could lose them any time. They're less secure, and you don't even control the private key. It technically isn't even yours. High profile hacks are often centered around exchanges, and inside jobs could never be ruled out. It's going to be hard especially if you depend on trading for profit, but a good rule would be to not keep more than you could afford to lose. Just keep in mind that the exchange you're keeping your coins on is only trusted until it isn't.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: