Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:15:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A $30,000 GPU mining farm.  (Read 889 times)
chrusso (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 07:02:06 AM

Hi folks and friends from BCT!

I'm here asking for advice once again, as we're planning to make a $30,000 usd investment in GPU mining:

10 rigs using:

Comp:ModelPriceFinal price
GPU:Msi Armor Radeon 580 8gb$384(x6!)$2,304
MB:Msi Z270-A Pro$152$152
Micro:Celeron G3930$36$36
RAM:Corsair VS DDR4 4GB$73$73
PSU:NZXT Hale90 or alike$136$136
Final price:$2,701

The prices have been converted to USD so it might change a little bit, and yes, in my country the taxes aren't the best ever.
Like I mentioned, we're planning to buy 10 units like this mostly for Ethereum mining, so I would really appreciate your advice before proceeding with the order.

I have been wondering how long it might take before ETH goes PoS, and assuming it does, there should be a few other coins that are worth for GPU mining, right?

What are your thoughts? Is there any better investment that I might not be considering? Or any missing risk?

Kind regards;
Chris C. Russo
KaydenC

Activity: 610
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 07:12:09 AM

The ram and GPU is really expensive. Is there no alternative by shipping from other countries?

I'm letting go of my AMD farm as I'm switching to full nvidia. Have some stuff, pming you.

chrusso (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 07:15:23 AM

Mmm, why are you moving to Nvidia?
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 07:21:58 AM

My advice is to spend a couple of weeks here reading threads.  All the questions you are asking already have answers, and the experience you gain from mining is not easily transferred so easily in a single message to someone who doesn't appear to have mined before.

Good miners are able to read the "tea leaves"... seeing what other people are doing, experiment, and make your own plans.  There is no magic formula, and while I applaud your ability to sink $30K into mining rigs, you are taking on a responsibility that you may not be ready for.

I suggest you start with one rig.  Build it, tweak it, learn how it works, find the pain points, and then decide if you want to spend the rest.

What are your goals?  What are your expectations for capital expense recovery? (some people call it ROI erroneously)  What kind of expectations do your investors have?  Where are you going to be setting up the rigs?  Do they have appropriate power and ventilation?  Do you have proper internet, networking and other infrastructure available?  Do you have any plans for expansion?

Difficulty increases will decrease your earnings over time, and investing so much in RX 580s may not be the best use of capital.  They are good for Ethhash and Cryptonight algorithm based coins, but are already a generation behind the latest AMD cards.  There are hundreds of coins available to mine, some GPUs do better than others.  I would suggest you diversify the GPU types you use so you can react quickly to the changing scenarios that are out there.
KaydenC

Activity: 610
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 07:24:17 AM

Mmm, why are you moving to Nvidia?

It takes twice the effort to manage 2 type of GPUs and most my cards are nvidia. Best to sell the few I have and focus on Nvidia only.

To me time efficiency is increasingly important as I am only 1 guy.
chrusso (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 07:35:21 AM

My advice is to spend a couple of weeks here reading threads.  All the questions you are asking already have answers, and the experience you gain from mining is not easily transferred so easily in a single message to someone who doesn't appear to have mined before.

Good miners are able to read the "tea leaves"... seeing what other people are doing, experiment, and make your own plans.  There is no magic formula, and while I applaud your ability to sink $30K into mining rigs, you are taking on a responsibility that you may not be ready for.

I suggest you start with one rig.  Build it, tweak it, learn how it works, find the pain points, and then decide if you want to spend the rest.

What are your goals?

I would aim to run for 12 months at least with these cards mining Ethereum if possible, if PoS happens before, I'll have to move to another coin...

What are your expectations for capital expense recovery? (some people call it ROI erroneously)

Calculating the hardware cost, and electricity, I'd assume that the capital would be recover after 7 to 8 months, assuming that ETH prices stay the same. But I'm certainly not planning to sell it quickly.

What kind of expectations do your investors have?

I'm starting this on my own to be honest.

Where are you going to be setting up the rigs?

A flat with proper connection, security and AC, with proper ventilation.

Do they have appropriate power and ventilation?

So far I didn't have any problem with one rig, and there's enough space, I'm not sure about the power/electricity instalation, it's worth to take a look at this.

Do you have proper internet, networking and other infrastructure available?

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem, I believe.

Do you have any plans for expansion?

Certainly not... like I said before, I started with one, and it didn't go bad at all, so I'm willing to increase a bit more the bet. The worst thing that could happen, might be running out of coins to be mined with these GPUs, but I don't have any information to make me think it might happen any time soon...

Difficulty increases will decrease your earnings over time, and investing so much in RX 580s may not be the best use of capital.  They are good for Ethhash and Cryptonight algorithm based coins, but are already a generation behind the latest AMD cards.  There are hundreds of coins available to mine, some GPUs do better than others.  I would suggest you diversify the GPU types you use so you can react quickly to the changing scenarios that are out there.

Hi Puwaha, and thanks a lot for your ideas! I've been mining ETH since 8 months already with the same hardware and without any problems. I'm aware about the Vega 56 and Vega 64, but prices are about twice here, compared with the Rx580 8GB, and the hashrate doesn't seems to change that much.

Also I thought about Nvidia 1070, as I know they have better performance in more mining algorithms, but the price is +30% compared to the Radeon once again...
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 07:58:48 AM

Focus more on the return on capital - you've already factored in that it costs 30% more, have you factored in how much more it produces? Just saying.

Also, for me personally, I have never and will never have more than 10-25% in hardware vs Crypto holdings. This is just my personal holdings/hardware ratio. Mining is fun, it makes money. At the end of the day though... well I'll just leave it at that.

Good luck on your crypto journey, never stop reading, never stop learning.
Desolutionary

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 08:15:07 AM

This.

I started mining 4~ months ago and nearly went 20k deep on my first purchases but common sense prevailed. Decided to build one rig and learn the whole process end to end.

Rig cost $2300AUD with 6x RX570 4GB Gigabyte Gaming cards (28.8mh/s ETH or 818h/s XMR) but its paid for itself. Sitting at about $4500USD worth of coins at the moment. I'm planning to use that to build another 2 rigs as soon as I can nail down some cheap graphics cards.

Start small and get the hang of it. I refuse to pay full retail for gear and only buy stuff when on sale  Smiley 
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 06:50:02 AM

What are your goals?

I would aim to run for 12 months at least with these cards mining Ethereum if possible, if PoS happens before, I'll have to move to another coin...

I guess the question should have been more qualified.  Why Ethereum specifically?  Are you going to be keeping the coins, or selling them?  If you are planning on keeping them, is it for price speculation?

What happens after 12 months?  Why not diversify your coins now?

What are your expectations for capital expense recovery? (some people call it ROI erroneously)

Calculating the hardware cost, and electricity, I'd assume that the capital would be recover after 7 to 8 months, assuming that ETH prices stay the same. But I'm certainly not planning to sell it quickly.

That would be a bad assumption.  Difficulty will eat into your Eth rewards over time, especially if you aren't upgrading your equipment to keep up.  Also, when POS is finally given a date, expect a giant surge in network hashrate and difficulty on Ethereum to happen from that moment.  People will be scrambling to get the last bits of Eth that they can mine before POS hits.

What kind of expectations do your investors have?

I'm starting this on my own to be honest.

Very nice!  It's best not to owe someone a cut of your proceeds.

Where are you going to be setting up the rigs?

A flat with proper connection, security and AC, with proper ventilation.

10 rigs will test your patience with the amount of noise and heat they will generate.  I wish you good luck here.  You will have 60 RX 580s running at say 120 Watts each... that's a 7200 Watt heater.  It's certainly doable, but you will need some good ventilation, as air conditioning in a typical flat will struggle to keep up.  7200 Watts is like turning on your oven and leaving the door open.  Ventilation will need to take into account the incoming air and the outgoing air.  You don't want fans pulling in cool air from your air conditioned house just to ventilate it outside.

Do they have appropriate power and ventilation?

So far I didn't have any problem with one rig, and there's enough space, I'm not sure about the power/electricity instalation, it's worth to take a look at this.

You definitely have to look at this.  After the efficiency loss on the PSUs, and the addition of watts from your motherboards and CPUs, you will probably be pulling more than 8000 Watts.  You'll be using 36+ amps.  Many apartments don't have that kind of power available to them, especially at 220V (depending on what country you are in.)

Do you have proper internet, networking and other infrastructure available?

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem, I believe.

Yes, in a flat, you could do this, I was assuming you would be looking to build in a warehouse space or something.  Sometimes, it's hard to get internet, enough power, ventilation, and security at these locations.  Plus, you need to have some sort of control over the rigs, since they aren't just in the next room.  You will have problems, rigs crashing, etc.  You need a way to automate getting them back up and running... even if it's just a VPN connection, and RDP, or something like Simple Rig Resetter, or a Raspberry Pi and some relays.  You could even go with networked PDUs to reset rigs... though those are a bit more expensive.  Smart outlets might work too, like a Weemo.

But since this is going to be in your flat, then some of these problems aren't too bad.  But things always seem to happen when you are out of the flat, or out of town.  So it's important to think about these things.

Do you have any plans for expansion?

Certainly not... like I said before, I started with one, and it didn't go bad at all, so I'm willing to increase a bit more the bet. The worst thing that could happen, might be running out of coins to be mined with these GPUs, but I don't have any information to make me think it might happen any time soon...

Like I said... there are hundreds of coins.  Some are better than others, and I think there will be a market for miners for a very long time.

Hi Puwaha, and thanks a lot for your ideas! I've been mining ETH since 8 months already with the same hardware and without any problems. I'm aware about the Vega 56 and Vega 64, but prices are about twice here, compared with the Rx580 8GB, and the hashrate doesn't seems to change that much.

Vega 56 does Cryptonight at 1900+ hashes per second.  They make a ton of money on those coins right now.  An RX 580 only does about 700 hashes per second.  Huge difference.  Vega doesn't have that great a difference on Ethash, but it is significantly better.  But like you said, Vegas are expensive, and very difficult to find at decent prices right now.  But once they do start to come back on the market, you will see difficulties on the coins it does well erupt.

Also I thought about Nvidia 1070, as I know they have better performance in more mining algorithms, but the price is +30% compared to the Radeon once again...

Don't just look at one coin.  There are coins that the 1070 mines very well, and will return a lot more money than an RX 580.

But, ultimately, it's your strategy, and you have to justify your purchases, and follow your plan.
ss10miner

Activity: 115

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:15:27 AM

whenever you buy miners, the static ROI will be some 6~8 months.  But look in future, you may get all your costs in a short time.
chrusso (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 07:49:45 AM

Hi everyone again,

Finally I got around 54 cards + 6 I already had... actually 6 less than expected.

The cards have been all flashed using ATIWinFlash and PolarisBE "1 click magic".

As well, I managed to run 6 cards (Sapphire Pulse Rx580 8GB) on 1050W PSU.

Now, I have installed SMOS on each one, but most of them are having issues like "GPU 1 hangs in opencl call"

First I thought it was the undervolting, so I tested with another 1200W PSU, and without undervolting... same problem.

Then I thought about the overclocking, so I underclocked from SMOS/Claymore to run Core Clock @1100 (vs 1366) and Memory clock @1800 (vs 2000) I had the feeling it was more stable, but then again... same "GPU X hangs in opencl call" errors...

Any idea what could be causing it?

Kind regards;
Chris
Michael20

Activity: 118

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 08:11:35 AM

Bad riser or usb cable? Could you check this gpu in a other pc would be the best check Wink
chrusso (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 08:14:01 AM

Bad riser or usb cable? Could you check this gpu in a other pc would be the best check Wink

It's my main suspect. Didn't want to mention it tho, to avoid biasing... I'm taking notes of the ones that fail, and I'll simply replace (card+riser) and see what happens...
Michael20

Activity: 118

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 08:20:33 AM

Most time, usb or riser is the solution Wink But also a damaged gpu could be.

You have pictures of your build?
Eterbank

Activity: 143

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 08:43:33 AM

wait until prices drop, equipment is crazy expensive right now.

eterbankPay anywhere, buy anything with Cryptoeterbank
ANN THREADWHITEPAPERBOUNTY THREAD
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬FacebookTwitter▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
yhhy

Activity: 46

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:53:41 PM

wait until prices drop, equipment is crazy expensive right now.

Yeah, it's insane how much the prices has sky rocketed.. makes me cry
chrusso (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 07:54:12 PM

Most time, usb or riser is the solution Wink But also a damaged gpu could be.

You have pictures of your build?

Nothing really fancy yet... the apartment is a mess, full of wires and stuff at this point!

I'm testing the risers today

Thanks;
Chris
Trade_BTC

Activity: 785
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 08:32:41 PM

I'm here asking for advice once again, as we're planning to make a $30,000 usd investment in GPU mining:

10 rigs using:

The prices have been converted to USD so it might change a little bit, and yes, in my country the taxes aren't the best ever.
Like I mentioned, we're planning to buy 10 units like this mostly for Ethereum mining, so I would really appreciate your advice before proceeding with the order.

I have been wondering how long it might take before ETH goes PoS, and assuming it does, there should be a few other coins that are worth for GPU mining, right?

What are your thoughts? Is there any better investment that I might not be considering? Or any missing risk?

Kind regards;
Chris C. Russo

I hope that is a fake name this isnt a letterboard its a message board/forum lol.
Amstellodamois

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 08:40:35 PM

The ram and GPU is really expensive.
The RAM is expensive. The GPUs, though?
octominer

Activity: 248
Merit: 8

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2018, 08:56:40 PM

10 rigs using:

Kind regards;
Chris C. Russo

One option is to use the Octominer B8PLUS, https://octominer.com/product/octominer_b8plus/
New batch of boards will be in stock in less than 2 weeks. The advantage is that this board comes with 8 full size PCIe slots, no need for risers like the MSI board has. Also the octominer board has built in Intel Mobile 3855u CPU , which makes it very energy efficient.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: