Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:32:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help required with Segwit to non-segwit transfer  (Read 149 times)
avikz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1499

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 08:33:11 AM

Hi friends,

I have recently created one segwit address using latest version of Electrum wallet. The address starts with "bc1". However, I am not able to send funds to that address from my blockchain/coinbase wallet. These online wallets are not recognizing the "bc1" address as a valid one and not allowing me to proceed further.

Can you please let me know how it can be possible to send funds to my segwit wallet from blockchain/coinbase?

Thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16600

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 09:17:02 AM

I have recently created one segwit address using latest version of Electrum wallet. The address starts with "bc1". However, I am not able to send funds to that address from my blockchain/coinbase wallet. These online wallets are not recognizing the "bc1" address as a valid one and not allowing me to proceed further.

Can you please let me know how it can be possible to send funds to my segwit wallet from blockchain/coinbase?
The Bech32 (bc1~) SegWit address isn't implemented in all wallets. You can use it to receive funds from Electrum, you can use it to send funds to any address, but you can't receive funds from wallets that don't support it.
As an alternative, you could create a SegWit address that starts with a 3. The transactions will be slightly bigger than Bech32-addresses, but it's compatible with all other wallets.

avikz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1499

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 11:28:09 AM

The Bech32 (bc1~) SegWit address isn't implemented in all wallets. You can use it to receive funds from Electrum, you can use it to send funds to any address, but you can't receive funds from wallets that don't support it.
As an alternative, you could create a SegWit address that starts with a 3. The transactions will be slightly bigger than Bech32-addresses, but it's compatible with all other wallets.

Thank you for the answer! But how would I create a segwit address that starts with 3? Does Electrum support that? Also as you said that the transactions will be slightly bigger than the conventional one, will there be any issue in confirmation?

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16600

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 11:40:31 AM

But how would I create a segwit address that starts with 3? Does Electrum support that?
Electrum supports it, but can't create them. It's confusing, and there isn't much information about it, which is one of the reasons I'm still not using SegWit by myself.
According to jreuab @ Reddit, you'll need to "manually import a BIP39 seed with a BIP49 derivation path."

Also as you said that the transactions will be slightly bigger than the conventional one, will there be any issue in confirmation?
You'll need to pay a slightly higher fee again, or wait longer.

Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:17:51 AM

Hi friends,

Thanks in advance!
If you really want to, since you have the private key to the wallet, you can generate the public key, do an SHA256 + RIPEMD160 hash, then encode it in base 58.

There is also an online tool that converts public keys (any type) into addresses.
https://altcoin-price.com/tool/pubkey-to-address

But you shouldn't use it unless you know what you're doing.
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 10:45:18 AM

Hi friends,

Thanks in advance!

What I'm doing at the moment is just keeping two Electrum wallets, one with bech32 addresses and another with legacy addresses. This is easy to do with Electrum as you can have as many wallets as you like. Then you can withdraw to the legacy address wallet and send transactions from there to the bech32 address wallet if you need to.
This is only a temporary solution as soon Core will release 0.16.0 at which point the services will gradually introduce support for bech32 addresses.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: