Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:28:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Motherboard and PSU questions. Any help would be so welcome.  (Read 95 times)
miner_in_bkk (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 11:54:11 AM

Hi All,

First off, i have tried looking on youtube for answers, and I am waiting on a reply from Biostar, but none has been forthcoming thus far. So i am turning to this forum for some help. Also, the user manuals and the websites don't give enough information.

This is my first build, and looking at MOBO reviews decided to go with the Biostar TB250-BTC PRO motherboard. As I live in South East Asia, stocks of 1200 W PSU's are quite hard to find and troublesome to order overseas for delivery.  As such, the was only one available PSU which was the Gigabyte XP1200M. The information found on the Biostar website for 6 GPU's (RX580's) was for the minimum of 1x1200W. There was no information of required connections on the PSU.

Here are the links to the hardware mentioned above;

MOBO:http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/kr/event/crypto_mining/page4_2.htm
PSU: https://www.gigabyte.com/Power-Supply/XP1200M#kf
The link for the PSU has a good photo of the back of the PSU.

I haven't connected anything yet, as when i unboxed the PSU and was looking at the connections on the back, and the number of connections i believe the motherboard needs, there seems to be not enough. But i would love to be proved wrong.

The physical connections on the PSU are as follows;

ATX/MB 20+4 Pin x 1
CPU/EPS 4+4 Pin x 2
PCI-e 6+2 Pin x 4
SATA x 4

The cables that come with it (which there are many), have multiple connections per cable.

Power.
According to the Biostar website, i require at least 4 power connections a 24 pin, 8 pin and 4 Pin (x2). Even for running only 6 GPU's.

Question 1. Does the 8 Pin MOBO power connect from CPU/EPS 4+4 connection on the PSU.
Question 2. For the 4 pin (x2) MOBO power requirement, does that come from the 6 pin SATA connection. The only cable (boxed with the PSU) with a 4 pin connector is the SATA cable. There are 2 SATA cables that have 4 x 4 Pin connectors on each cable, essentially giving 8 connections over 2 cables.
Question 3. Further to question 2, do you think i can daisy chain the two 4 pin power requirement on 1 SATA cable.

Risers.
Question 4. As i have 6 Riser cards, the least i can use is 3 SATA connectors on the PSU. As according to the Biostar website, i can run no more than 2 risers on one SATA cable. Is there another way? or is this quite acceptable.
Question 5. To power the GPU's from the PCIE connectors on the PSU, can i also daisy chain 2 on one cable. There are 2 PCIE cables included with the PSU, that each have 2x 6+2 connections. Which means if i can use them in this fashion, i would have to purchase one more.
Question 6. I purchased a SATA SSD, so can i place it on the same SATA cable as the 2 risers, and not create a problem.

If this crypto mining designed mother board has such a power requirement (even for 6 GPU's) could there be an adjustment on how the GPU's are powered ? otherwise what use would this provide.

Sorry for the length of this post. Just eager to get into this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bimmber

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 12:25:38 PM

Do NOT power risers by SATA connector, instead use molex (directly from PSU) - they have thicker cables.
Daniel0303

Activity: 31

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 09:17:55 AM

Hi All,

First off, i have tried looking on youtube for answers, and I am waiting on a reply from Biostar, but none has been forthcoming thus far. So i am turning to this forum for some help. Also, the user manuals and the websites don't give enough information.

This is my first build, and looking at MOBO reviews decided to go with the Biostar TB250-BTC PRO motherboard. As I live in South East Asia, stocks of 1200 W PSU's are quite hard to find and troublesome to order overseas for delivery.  As such, the was only one available PSU which was the Gigabyte XP1200M. The information found on the Biostar website for 6 GPU's (RX580's) was for the minimum of 1x1200W. There was no information of required connections on the PSU.

Here are the links to the hardware mentioned above;

MOBO:http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/kr/event/crypto_mining/page4_2.htm
PSU: https://www.gigabyte.com/Power-Supply/XP1200M#kf
The link for the PSU has a good photo of the back of the PSU.

I haven't connected anything yet, as when i unboxed the PSU and was looking at the connections on the back, and the number of connections i believe the motherboard needs, there seems to be not enough. But i would love to be proved wrong.

The physical connections on the PSU are as follows;

ATX/MB 20+4 Pin x 1
CPU/EPS 4+4 Pin x 2
PCI-e 6+2 Pin x 4
SATA x 4

The cables that come with it (which there are many), have multiple connections per cable.

Power.
According to the Biostar website, i require at least 4 power connections a 24 pin, 8 pin and 4 Pin (x2). Even for running only 6 GPU's.

Question 1. Does the 8 Pin MOBO power connect from CPU/EPS 4+4 connection on the PSU.
Question 2. For the 4 pin (x2) MOBO power requirement, does that come from the 6 pin SATA connection. The only cable (boxed with the PSU) with a 4 pin connector is the SATA cable. There are 2 SATA cables that have 4 x 4 Pin connectors on each cable, essentially giving 8 connections over 2 cables.
Question 3. Further to question 2, do you think i can daisy chain the two 4 pin power requirement on 1 SATA cable.

Risers.
Question 4. As i have 6 Riser cards, the least i can use is 3 SATA connectors on the PSU. As according to the Biostar website, i can run no more than 2 risers on one SATA cable. Is there another way? or is this quite acceptable.
Question 5. To power the GPU's from the PCIE connectors on the PSU, can i also daisy chain 2 on one cable. There are 2 PCIE cables included with the PSU, that each have 2x 6+2 connections. Which means if i can use them in this fashion, i would have to purchase one more.
Question 6. I purchased a SATA SSD, so can i place it on the same SATA cable as the 2 risers, and not create a problem.

If this crypto mining designed mother board has such a power requirement (even for 6 GPU's) could there be an adjustment on how the GPU's are powered ? otherwise what use would this provide.

Sorry for the length of this post. Just eager to get into this.

Hi,
I hope this help

1. Cannot fully understand your question, but you only need to plug in 24pin and eps cable 4+) to the mobo, no need to plug in 2 of the 4 pin molex and sata on the board.
2. Not sure about this, I did not plug in the molex and sata before, it works for me at least 6/12 gpu rig all with rx 580
3. Do not plug more than 2 connection on 1 cable
4. Same as 3
5. Never tried but is not a good idea
6. It works for me

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: